Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2006, 03:23 AM   #1
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Internet Connection While On the Road

I would be interested in knowing what everyone uses to connect their laptops to the internet while one the road. We were using Netzero and going thru our cell phone for a connection. But they are not compatable with the new McFee internet suite. So were going to have to make some changes. WiFi connection is no problem when it is available. Its when there is nothing availble but cell phone connection. Presently were on Verizon Wireless. Price is also a consideration as we are not full timers.

Ken and Velda
Mindy (Our spoiled cocker spaniel)
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana w/automatic satellite dome/dish
2005 2500HD GMC 4x4 Crewcab with Duramax/Allison and edge/attitude, 45 gal transfer flo tank, Air Lift air springs, and Doran tire pressure alert system.

ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:32 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We use the Verizon cell phone office something or other, turns the cell phone into a modem (that is a simplex explanation, of course)

ON EDIT: this office something or other connects you to the internet, you do NOT need a separate ISP number to dial.

We don't get on till after 9 PM local time, or weekends, when we can use the free minutes.

It is slow, sometimes it is painfully slow, 35 minutes to the first email message is PAINFUL!!!

But, we are like you, not full timers, just long timers and vacation mode sometimes. So, we don't want to incur the fees for the net card that Verizon offers, $50 to 80 more a month?? Glenn and Judy Denner use these, and can fill you in with the correct scoop on those. They work great from all reports, but just not in the financial package at this time.

Most of the time the cell phone/modem will allow us to get our email, and gives us a break from the rest of the internet world (even if you don't want to take one!)

Might try a search, use time frame of full year, there have been some GREAT discussions on this in the past here at MOC.

Carol

(Thanks Glenn)

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Recipe for the RVing Life

Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:41 AM   #3
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
Sounds like what we have is similar to what Al and Carol have except ours is through T-Mobile. We traveled 7,000 miles last year and it did work very well. Very few places that we had problems getting on the net. If you have T-mobile service, it only costs another 20 bucks a month for unlimited internet. It is faster than dial-up but not close to as fast as broadband. It has worked well for us.....Les

Our Travels:Lstierw

2005 Big Sky 3670RL
1999 Ford F350, 7.3 Power stroke Diesel
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:02 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We are enjoying our Verizon aircard which costs $60.00 per month if you have their phone service. We also use it in the stick house so it is our only internet provider no matter where we are.

Judy
http://spaces.msn.com/bamatravelers/
http://bamatravelers.blogspot.com
Traveling with Glen and Greta in our 2004 Dodge dually and Montana 3380 RL

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Ditto what Judy said expect, as full timers, we don't have a stick house.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0
WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Click on either of the above for a larger image
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #6
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
I have Verizon and use my cell phone as a modem. You need a Mobile Office Kit and a USB cord to connect. If you go to this web site it will give you more information than you want, but is very helpful. I found this site thru the MOC Forum. MOC has a internet section as well.
Other requirements are the model phone and enhanced service from Verizon. Read the web site - it will step you thru the process. You may have to register on the Yahoo site.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/internetbycellphone/

Doug & LInda,Estero, FL
2005 2980RL
2005 F-250 SD 4x2 6.0L V8 Diesel 5 SPD Auto
Reis 16k
dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:04 PM   #7
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We use the Verizon air card. It plugs right into the laptop and doesn't need to go to the slower phone hookup. in several cities around the country, it comes in Broadband, also. Have used it in traveling most places east of the Mississippi with my business and now while in the Monty and it is odd when there is no connection. Very pleased with it and, as with Judy and Glenn, it is $60 per month for unlimited useage.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We use the Verizon air card when we don't set up our DirecWay satellite. We've found the coverage to be very good. Very few places that we haven't have a good connection.

Before we got the AirCard we used the phone with the cable hookup. It was OK and the price was right....... but it was simply too slow.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:19 AM   #9
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
We recently switched from the Verizon mobile office kit to their aircard. It costs $60 a month for unlimited use, but since we use it as our internet access at home too, we were able to drop our dedicated phone line and our AOL subscription, saving almost $45. For us, the broader coverage, faster response, and not being limited to night and weekend use was worth the extra cost.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:40 AM   #10
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
I was doing some research at my new job (CW) and came across a brochure for "internet in motion". I went to the web site, It sounds very interesting. I did not get to look at it closely, But the link is (www.internetinmotion.net). Check it out. SK
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:41 PM   #11
Mr Zip
Established Member

M.O.C. #1583
I have Sprint cell service their internet costs $10.00 per month for unlimited access. I have recieved very good service from FL to AZ and the price is unbettable. Its more than Six times faster than from my regular phone at home.
Mr Zip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:24 AM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I have been using the Verizon Card for about a year and 1/2. I swear by it. I have the unlimited plan and it is very rare for me not to have coverage, even in Alaska. Bill uses the Cingular air card. When it is good it is very very good, but when it is bad, it is horrid. He will be dropping his shortly. (Contract is almost up)

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:33 AM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Helen, you need to get the KR1 router for you and Bill so you can both use your aircard. You'll have it paid for in less than five months and then won't have to pay for two cards. I'll show you ours TOMORROW NIGHT! Can't wait to see you two!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote