Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Black Flush connection doesn't work.

I'm trying to camp in my driveway and use everything before we hit the road in two weeks for our 1st trip in the Monty. So I went to empty the black tank (I use a Flojet Mascerator). I hooked everything up including a hose to the black tank flush, opened the black tank valve and turned on the flush water. The black tank was draining (not much in it), but I can usually see the flush water pretty quickly. Nothing, nada. So I turned off the water (scratching my head) wondering where all that water went....oh oh. Looked in the Monty and saw no water. Looked again at the basement and there it was. Fortunately, not too much. Cleaned it up and removed the white barrier enclosing the water valves and hooked up the water again. Sure enough, the water is backing up in that hose and squirting out the connector onto the floor of the basement. None going into the black tank.

Ideas? Do you think the hose is blocked or is there a one way valve there to stop black water from coming that way?

BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #2
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Is the connector loose? Should not leak even though flussher may not work. I recon it could be stopped up, just work your way step by step to the tank looking for blockage, I wouldn't imagine a one way valve to keep the water from flowing toward the tank. Most units have a back flow preventer or vacum breaker to help prevent the black water from flowing the other way.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:43 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Not sure what connector is backing up and leaking into the basement, but if it is the outside connection at the convenience center, there have been problems related to the depth of the connector. I experienced this problem which resulted in water spraying at the convenience center. My solution was to add a second hose washer at the connection.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:47 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
When you are hooked up to the black tank flush you should hear the water spraying in the tank. On our unit it is very load. If not then I would say you have a blockage. The line goes up the wall to a check valve then back down to the tank. I don't know where it is located on yours but maybe someone will come along and tell you.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:23 AM   #5
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Mine is also having issues. Except I ended up with a huge amount of water in the basement and near the steps inside the coach. I have located the leak behind the shower - why the hose routes up behind the shower I do not know. I am going to have to remove the shower faucets to get access to the leak/loose connection. Fun.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:59 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think it is coming from the vacuum breaker, certain conditions will make it 'bleed off' Find it (I think up by the shower), take it apart, clean it, put it back together and I bet it will work OK.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:03 AM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Don't bother trying to go through the shower faucets, you won't get there by that route.. You will need to go through the wall in the pantry. Do not use a router, all you need is a utility knife. Locate the back flow preventer by looking behind the pocket door. a 8x8 or 8x10 hole will do it.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:26 AM   #8
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Thanks, I'll start looking for the vacumm valve and check for blockage.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by akf15e

Mine is also having issues. Except I ended up with a huge amount of water in the basement and near the steps inside the coach. I have located the leak behind the shower - why the hose routes up behind the shower I do not know. I am going to have to remove the shower faucets to get access to the leak/loose connection. Fun.
Exnavydiver (Dave) is right on. They put it up there because it is high up, suction-vacuum, all that stuff...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #10
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Exnavydiver - so you have to cut a hole in the pantry to get to this thing? I guess I'd rather live without a backflush than cut a hole in my camper. Who in the world designed such a thing? I looked behind the sliding door and it looked like it was conveniently aligned with the shower faucets, but I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the input.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #11
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Not sure what connector is backing up and leaking into the basement, but if it is the outside connection at the convenience center, there have been problems related to the depth of the connector. I experienced this problem which resulted in water spraying at the convenience center. My solution was to add a second hose washer at the connection.
Bingo
This could be a part of the leakage problem, but I still need to find out why no water from the flush is getting into the black tank. I'll try the extra washer, thanks. I'll also try to find out where the valve is. I sure don't want to cut a hole in the wall of a 6 week old 5er. If exnavydiver is right, I'll have the factory or dealer make it work. I know the flush isn't of critical importance, but it is nice to help keep the black tank clean.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
Weldon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11213
Just got back from the Dealer. I was having the same problem, they found that the hose for the flush feature was kinked. The service-man went in thou the under-belly and used some wire ties to tie it up.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Weldon

Just got back from the Dealer. I was having the same problem, they found that the hose for the flush feature was kinked. The service-man went in thou the under-belly and used some wire ties to tie it up.
Great, thanks. I'll take a look at it.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #14
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
I had a similar problem but mine was the check valve under the sink in the bathroom...the check valve had a flap door and a ball and spring...ball was stuck..took it out..reassembled...works great now...checked and no kink was in the hose....the hose is rather stiff to ever get a kink in it without trying it seems...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #15
trustymopars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10812
So that's what that piece is under the sink in the bathroom. Good to know.
trustymopars is offline   Reply With Quote