Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
What am I looking for?

The DW and I will be going to look at a 2011 3400RL Monty next week. We currently have an Outback Sydney TT, so we are not complete newbies to the camping world, but this would be our first 5er and our first Monty. What items should we be looking for on a lightly used Monty? Any direction to items of constant concern would be greatly appreciated. These forums are the greatest thing going. We are members of Outbackers.com currently (Chasn'Racin, imagine that!). Thanks for your advice.
Ken

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Abnormal tire wear and if the Goodyear "Marabombs" are still on it.
Look at the front closet while the fiver is sitting on the landing gear legs and again hitched up to your truck ... note any bowing of the paneling towards the closet area indicating a frame issue. Look up top on the roof ... a few wrinkled areas on the seams are normal ... big areas where the rubber membrane has delaminated are not. Water stains around any window and or on carpet. Check seals around all slide-outs for fraying and damage. This should get you a start.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Diesel guy x2. Soft spots in floor. Stains on belly from tank leaks. Dealer should do PDI. If you are buying from individual , have a dealer do PDI , money well spent.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
In addition to all of the above, a good tow vehicle that will handle the loaded vehicle pin weight.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Do not trust the dealer to do a competent PDI. The maintenance checklist on the homepage of this forum, should help, if just to give a feel on how the unit has been taken care of. Most of what you would look for and are knowedgable of in a tagalong, is applicable for a fifthwheel. A 2011 should be in pretty good shape, unless a lemon or abused. You did not indicate if used, or one that has been sitting on the lot. If the dealer actually did a good job on a PDI and brags about the excellent condition of the unit, he should be willing to give you at least a six month warranty.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
It's easy, just satisfy yourself and buy an aftermarket warranty, good for 7 yrs and renewable after that. There are many good ones. If a dealer does not have a legally drawn up warranty , Good Sam does , and many others.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Also walk around in your sock feet, especially in the corners where the slides come in. Socks will be the first thing to suck up water.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Also look in the basement, at the screws on the breaker box and at the plumbing under the sinks for signs something has been worked on. Then have the dealer explain what was wrong and how it was fixed and if they will warranty the work. When you walk around the unit, look for things you don't expect would be a problem. On our brand new unit one of the landing gear legs was cracked.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Be sure any recalls have been dealt with. I believe that if you call Keystone with the VIN they can tell you the things that have been recalled (Norcold Refrigerator and transfer switch -- if it has a built in generator or the generator prep package)and if they have been completed. Those were done on our 2011 3400RL. It's a great floorplan. Enjoy your new camper and welcome to the forum.

Walt
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:29 AM   #10
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
It may be helpful to ask the seller why he/she is selling a unit so new???? Agree with tim43...you did not say if you already have a truck...as MANY of us have found out after we had our Montanas, they weigh "a bit" more than the advertised numbers...not suggesting that the manufacturer is falsely advertising, more that many of us find entirely too many things to pack into our Montanas for travel! When we get the 5W/truck combo right, it is a much better ride.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:49 AM   #11
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Here is the link for the PDI:

http://www.montanaowners.com/PDI.html

Agree with the extended warranty too. And also if you don't already have a tow vehicle - go with the 350/3500!

So what are you "Chasnracin"? - Sounds like what we used to do with our dogs - chasing a lure and racing the track!

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:22 AM   #12
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
Thanks for all the great advice. The Monty is the from an individual and unfortunately is a divorce sell. (This would be the 2nd one I have bought like that and they work fine for us). I will initially be using my current TV (2006 GMC 2500HD LWB CC with the D/A package.) We will upgrade that at first chance, but for now it will do. Alaska is not going to get many miles on the unit, and it was only used one trip, brought up the ALCAN from the lower 48, so it only has 3400 towed miles on it. The ALCAN sure enough will show any frame flex is there is any. I'll definitely print off the check sheet and take it with us. We opted out of the extended warranty on our current TT so I am not well versed in them. Can you purchase an extended warranty on a used trailer such as this one if not bought from a dealer? I don't know if Keystone's oh-so-gracious 1 year warranty is out or not, I'll have to find that out.

Oh, and ChasnRacin comes from our love of NASCAR. That is how we first got into camping. Long story short, the DW met my brother at a race and had to spend the night in her Jeep at the track. When she got up in the morning, the campers across from her were cooking bacon and eggs and drinking coffee while she drank her water and ate a stale danish. Enough said there.
Our first try at camping in a trailer was in a rented Scamper "pod". It rained the entire weekend. No power, no hookups, just us two in that tiny space for 2 days. We didn't kill each other and still laugh about it. At that point, we knew we could do the camping thing An A-liner, 19' Rockwood, and now a 27' Outback later, we love it more than ever. Just like George Jefferson says ,"We're moving on up!"

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Chasnracin, we also have a 2011 3400, bought new. It is the Hickory Edition, is yours? We had a 2007 3400, and loved it. However, one day we took the '07 to the dealer for service, and then to kill time, wandered the lot. BIG mistake, the old one stayed behind, the new one went home with us. SIGH....!!! No difference in the floor plan over the years, but the improvements....some major, some minor......made the '11 well worth the purchase. So far we are very happy with it. We tow with an '08 GMC K3500. Personal opinion, but I would not have anything less than the 1 ton 3500. Just a little more "comfort zone" there. I've already made a few "upgrades/changes" to it. If interested, you can PM me, or ask on the forum. Others have done "mods" too.....just like a stick house. Enjoy your "new home!"
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Don't want to hyjack this thread but as to the 1st reply indicating a bowing of the panel in closet area, what exactly is the frame issue?
We have this problem in our 3400, on the corner by the drawers poped out pretty good and broke, is there a remedy for this?

thanks
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote