Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Squirrels in the attic.

Does anyone know if there is any access from the underbelly up through the walls to the attic. we are parked in a wooded area and have a squirrel problem. At first we thought they were just running around on the roof, but now it sounds more like they are in the attic. Just climbed up on the roof and could not find anywhere they could be getting in that way. Last summer they were getting into the underbelly, so maybe they found a way UP. Possibly via the rear end-cap. They are very noisy and irritating. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Nothing worse than a squirrel problem. I can't answer your question, but feel your pain with dealing with them, as we had them in our house attic. They are so distructive. Finally had to put steel wool all over our wooden louvers to the attic, as well as metal welded wire over the louvers on the inside. Be careful of using poison in case one should die in the attic.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
They know how they got there, and how to get out, so I would rent a have-a-heart trap, put corn in it and catch the little bugger, then search for the way he got in. Maybe around the wheels, or front or back cap, then seal those areas. the 3400RL has a hollow column at the kitchen counter-entertainment area.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Check the opening in the front behind the hitch. Not sure, but think there could be an opening into the front cap allowing them access to the roof. I sealed my box to prevent birds building nests in there, never thought about a squirrel going in there.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Send a message via AIM to av2pilot
I too have had a squirrel problem and after sealing everything I possibly could, I was doing more checking and it seems as though they could get in around the hydraulic actuator rod on the slide....they have a big hole through the frame to accomodate the actuator. I'm going to rig up a flapper to seal it too. Good luck.....they did so much damage to the wiring in the underbelly of ours that my traps are lets just say not pet friendly!
av2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Our problem is that we are located in National Park Service housing area and work closely with the park service personal. Think they would be a little upset if a couple of their squirrels met an untimely end. Guess tomorrow will crawl around under the unit to see if I can find where they are getting in. Believe they are going up the rear wall and the rear end-cap. Will drop the rear bottom panel and try and foam any openings up the wall closed. With luck they will be out enjoying our beautiful winter weather.
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Just be sure they are all out BEFORE you completely seal up the unit...dead squirrels STINK!!!
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
On a 3400RL, the hall wall between the pantry and bathroom door have vent pipes behind it. These pipes go from the belly tanks thru the attic and then thru the roof.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
My answer...a gun. The only good squirrel is a dead squirrel. We had those rats with oversized tails in our attic a few years ago. They chewed up half of the electrical wiring before we got them out. Now my dog and cat do a good job of keeping them away. I also cut all of the trees away from the house to prevent easy access.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:43 PM   #10
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
Use a hav-a-heart trap then when you get them drown them--- actually I don't advocate that, but after dealing with them and their destruction, I have had days where they would have not been hunting nuts the next morning. I have looked under my rig and noticed that there are several access points that would lead to or give access so they could gnaw a hole in to some other spaces. I imagine this is true with most rigs and the only means I know of keeping them out is to use wire mesh well anchored. I have seen them pull out steel wool and foam once they have established that is the path they want. Like eeoski said though, just be sure they are all out before you close it up. Otherwise you will be looking for a new rig. One thing you can do if you suspect that you have an access point is to cover it with thin cardboard for 24-48 hours. Leave a small hole in the cardboard about the size of a quarter. If they are using the site, they will open the hole up more or even pull the cardboard off.
Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote