Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #21
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Wrench,

Where did you get those "gumby sticks"? They look like they'd be very handy!

mac

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:13 AM   #22
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
What is the real name for the "gumby sticks", vinyl coated #4 aluminum wire? Or is it a real product?
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:07 AM   #23
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Bingo, I'm glad that suggestion worked out for you. Being basically anti wasted energy (lazy), I try to never handle anything twice if I don't have to. When we mow and I ask my wife to move the lawn chairs or the garden hose or the electric cord for the edger or when she does it herself, she will pile the stuff up and then I usually have to unpile it later (and she usually has the electric cord all tangled up - grrr). I will mow a space first where the stuff can go next and then move it to that area one time and be done with it. Same philosophy applies with those RV cords and hoses - just wait 'til you use them to rearrange. If you want them rearranged soon, then just yell "Roadtrip!!" and be sure there's something in it for the DW and the DDs. We do a lot of RVin' at a nearby state park that just happens to also be close to an outlet mall. And we usually stop at a favorite homecooking cafe on the way. Remember that old saying about if Mamma ain't happy, there ain't nobody happy. Things we learn along the way - mostly by trial and error.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:20 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I got the water hoses in propane lockers idea from Steves. It works well for me. I do not like long water hoses. I have several ten footers, available at Walmart, and have quick connects on them. I just string together however many I need for that particular park. Works great.

For the 50 amp cord, I have a clothes basket. Coiling that cord can be a bear, especially in cooler weather. What works for me is to put one end in the basket, then rotate the basket while I feed the cord. I can do it by myself but it helps if Vicki helps. It's still not fun but is a whole lot easier than trying to coil that monster into a stationary basket. I put the 30amp cord and adapters on top of the 50 amp cord in the same basket so I can pull out the 30 for an overnight stay without disturbing the monster.

We have two water filters. Someday I'll get them built in like others have done. For now, I have a four foot water hose attached to each. The free end of the hose has a quick connect and the empty end of the filter has the opposite part of the quick connect. I just connect those together. I do this for each filter, separately. I then can store them in the basement locker without fear of water running everywhere. Usually they're in the electric cord basket or one of the square crates I carry in the basement.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:39 AM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill and Lisa

Slightly different use here with my water hoses. I have one of the 5 gal buckets (originally had laundry soap or some such thing but Home Depot carries something similar). I cut a hole in the side just above the bottom and a notch our to the lid. I use quick disconnect to be able to quickly switch between the city input, the black tank flush, my clear insert with hose connection for the sewer line and things like a hoze nozzle to spray down items. I have a custom city connection rig that consists of a pressure regulator seperate spicket to attach another hose to if needed and a 3 foot section of hose that feeds through the hole in the bottom of the convience center so with the quick disconnects I can disconnect the line without having to open up the basement door. When travelling, the hose is coiled in the bucket and the nozzel, the pressure regulator rig and a PVC nozzle to fit into the gravity fresh water fill all sit in the center of the coiled hose in the bucket. In the campsite the hose is feed out the hole in the base and the notch in the lid such that the bucket sits under the belly of the Monty and all excess hose remains neatly stowed inside the bucket. works for me.

I have a second bucket for power cords (4 different pigtails, 2 30 Amp cords, a 30 amp yellow plug in, ect.) My 50 amp cord and surge protector do not fit in the bucket. I will look at storing them in one of the propane tank voids but worry a little because that compartment is not lockable and the surge protector alone is worth $350. I don't imagine the 50 Amp cord and plug is cheap either!

Bill
I use a similar setup in the convenience center. I have an "L" water connector on each the city hookup and the black tank flush. The purpose is to take some side pressure off the center's connectors. The L's point straight down. To each of those I have a four foot water hose with quick connect on the open end. Those I drop through the hole, like Bill and Lisa and connect everything else from there. I also stuff rags in that hole to keep any critters and mud daubers from getting in and deciding to build a home in there. I'd like to find a more elegant solution than the rags.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:10 AM   #26
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle I also stuff rags in that hole to keep any critters and mud daubers from getting in and deciding to build a home in there. I'd like to find a more elegant solution than the rags.
Use soft packing foam. Work great.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote