Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Free over the air digital TV

I replied to a post on another forum here and thought maybe to better spread the word repost it here. First and foremost DTV (digital TV) and HDTV (high definition TV) work off the same digital signaling ... just that HDTV has the potential of being a crisper picture if your TV set can process the signal. I'm anticipating using this receiver in the fiver just as I do my satellite dish. Where ever I camp there will be available digital broadcasts right along with the old analog. I currently do not pay for local channels with DirectTV as I've always got them via roof antennae. Here's my response to the other post.
"Right now across the US, TV stations are broadcasting DTV (Digital TV)signals right along with the old analog signals that will go away in a couple of years. The new HD TV's that have a built-in receiver can receive these "FREE" over the air signals just like it was when we were younger and cable/satellite was yet to be available. Don't let the salesmen con you into a "digital antennae" your old stickhouse rooftop antennae or batwing RV antennae will pull them in just fine. KC Missouri has about a dozen digital stations you can pull in ... some in high definition. The antennae range seems about the same as with the analog signals ... 60 - 75 miles max. I bought a DTV receiver on EBay similar to the Winegard Camping World is touting now just to see if all I heard was true about adapting the older analog TV's to the new digital signals. Works like a charm in my stick house, but I haven't tried it in the RV yet ... should be no different other than the different connections on the RV TV. These stations are clear as a bell with no snowy picture. Here near Wichita, KS there are 8 "digital stations" available and might I add "FREE". These include CBS, ABC, and NBC as well as FOX Kansas and a 24 hour weather channel. KC Misouri stations are similar but more choices. Go to www.titantv.com enter your zip code and see what free digital stations are available in your areas. I dunno if I will be able to get my $40 rebate from Uncle Sam when this all goes full swing in a couple of years, but curiosity got the best of me."

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Works great in the RV. I have a Samsung HDTV in the bedroom, hooked to the Winegard antenna. I get on average about 3 channels per station. I'm 30 miles from Tyler, TX, and 50 miles or so from Shreveport, LA, and get reception from both. The thing I like most is continuous weather radar for my area. BTW, I have it hooked to a regular TV, and the only thing I notice on the High Definition channels is that is too wide for the screen. Thumbs up from me.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Great information guys. I had heard about this very thing from various friends who spent money only to find it was a waste. Good info.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:26 AM   #4
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
Thanks for the info. How much does a DTV receiver cost vs the one that Winegard is selling?
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:49 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
The question I asked on that "other forum" (other topic here on MOC) and never really got a "yes" or "no" was if my digital TV has a dual tuner (HD and ASCT [or whatever it's called]), can I use a splitter and run one lead into each TV input and have HD on those channels and regular broadcast on the others with just one antenna ?? I think yes but have not tried it in my stick house because at home I get my locals through Dish and have the dish receiver hooked into the ASCT input.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:07 AM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Pardon the "piggy-back" on this thread, but this is the best way to ask our friend "Slick Willie" his exact location. I am about 50 miles from Tyler and about 60 from Shreveport. I have had a HD capable TV for several years, but have never attempted HD reception. I would be interested to know where Willie is and how his reception has been. Especially what kind of antenna he has.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:08 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

Pardon the "piggy-back" on this thread, but this is the best way to ask our friend "Slick Willie" his exact location. I am about 50 miles from Tyler and about 60 from Shreveport. I have had a HD capable TV for several years, but have never attempted HD reception. I would be interested to know where Willie is and how his reception has been. Especially what kind of antenna he has.
David,

I'm near Henderson. I sent you a PM. BTW, I just looked at my other post. Just to clarify, I have a Samsung HDTV tuner. It is hooked to the TV in the bedroom
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:10 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
David: If your TV is simply HD compatible without a built-in digital receiver, you'll have to buy a digital receiver similar to mine to get the digital signal.
5ER: Depending on the EBay bidding, you can get one for a little over $100. There is a website that sells new ones currently for $135.00
www.mydtv45.com
Depending on your TV, the hookup may be limitedly challenging. For any of the digital receivers, you must have one of the following ... the (yellow, red, white) RCA inputs, an S Video input, or a digital cable input on your TV for it to work. If your TV is relatively old and only has a 75 ohm connection in the back, you can buy a RF Modulator (about $15 - $20) to hook inbetween your TV and the digital receiver.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote