Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2017, 09:18 AM   #1
upinthewild

M.O.C. #20085
Montana High Country 353RL

Hi All,

We have been researching 5th wheels for over a year and have narrowed our target to the High Country 353RL or the slightly smaller 305RL. The 353RL being our favorite of the two. We have looked at many brands and still come back to these for the features and feel of the rig. Anyone have experience with either of these? Thoughts on Montana High Country in general? Would love opinions on why (or why not) these are good options.

Thanks!

PS. I tried posting this earlier and something strange happened so forgive me if this gets posted twice
upinthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #2
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
I have 2014 HC I think it is the 343RL, without going to look. I like most things. Upgraded television and the bed. Added front Air conditioner because rear is loud and doesn't seem to provide much air to front. Need to check the venting system from what I learned on this site. Overall I like ours but have only spent a couple weeks in it at a time. Next year will snowbird, so will see. Good luck!
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:35 PM   #3
happy camper x2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20088
we bought a 2018 353 love the camper ,space, kitchen ,pantry, all good we are having trouble with back ac before u buy make sure to check the ac out on a hot day
happy camper x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
govslug
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19741
we just got a new 305RL....only had 1 road trip so far but love it . There is a post on here what to look for on your pre inspection walk through before leaving the dealer with whatever you decide on...wish I had seen it before picking up ours . Only a few problems but dealer had ours a month fixing the couple things we had . They did not fix the shower drain....it sticks up about 1/4 " from the floor of the shower.....would have gotten that fixed for sure because keystone won't do it on a warranty . We went with this over the other one you like because it had more counter space .
6.0 Power Stroke Diesel
govslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:49 PM   #5
RainbowsEnd
Established Member

M.O.C. #19240
We have the 353rl. These rv's all have good and bad. We went for floor plan that works for us. At many parks the pull throughs are on loops with the hookups on the street side. That gives the view on the passenger side. If you have specific parks you like to go through that alone may make a difference. If you like to look out at kids, the windows on the entry side will help keep an eye on them while you do kitchen things etc. We all have ideas on what works for our lifestyle.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:13 AM   #6
dannyrver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9072
We have the 2015 305rl love it. Every camper has its pros and cons. If your looking for the perfect one it doesn't exist.pick the most best points and go for it. I added wet bolts and wished mine would accommodate the 110 psi tires but maybe the 2017s do. Happy camping!
dannyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:29 AM   #7
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
When we were shopping for the fiver, the HC 353 caught our eye and would have bought it except for one very serious flaw (IMHO, at least). The slide floors do not match the non-moving floors, leaving a lip to trip over. On our Montana, the slide floors drop down when extended so there is almost no difference between heights of the two floors. If you are young and agile, may not make a difference but for us old farts, it made a huge difference.
Beau2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:34 PM   #8
upinthewild

M.O.C. #20085
Thanks all. I will definitely use a PDI checklist. I have heard some horror stories about Keystone's warranty work so want to get as much taken care of before taking possession as possible. I have been a little nervous about Montana (Keystone) because of some of the things I have read but seems like there are lots of satisfied owners out there as well. We really like this rig from what we have seen of it so leaning that way. Comparing to a Grand Design Reflection that is just slightly shorter.

Next question and hopefully OK to ask here. I have am working with a dealer I will leave unnamed but quoted a little over $48,000 for a 2018 353RL (plus taxes and tags). I have no idea what the market dictates for these things, how does that stack up?

Thanks!
upinthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:41 PM   #9
RainbowsEnd
Established Member

M.O.C. #19240
Sounds good. We paid more but had a trade in and received many $ more for the trade in than we'd get from other places so it evened out. Also it was local so didn't have to go anywhere or haul ours in for trade etc. Good luck!
Old 06-30-2017, 09:19 PM   #10
mkck310hc

M.O.C. #20029
We just bought a MHC 310RE so far no problems, comfortable, lots of room. a couple of minor issues like the panels in the storage area were short on screws but took took care of it rather than dealing with the dealer. love how quiet the inside is the storage is great. going from a 25 foot Toy Hauler to this is like a dream come true. take your time on picking your floor plan it took us two years of looking. We are glad we took our time.
mkck310hc is offline   Reply With Quote