Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #1
TK1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21975
Brake Failure

We just returned from our second trip with our 3400RL 5th whl.
We have never had any problem with the brakes until now. When we hooked up to return home the "check trailer brakes" warning came on when I unplugged and reconnected the trailer it went out, however even if with the brake gain set at 10 I could not get the trailer brakes to lock up. Is it possible that there could be a blown fuse, or am I looking at something more serious? By the way our tow vehicle is a Chevy 3500HD and we had no problem stopping the rig on the way home, the trailer never felt like it was pushing me,still concerned though!

TK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Sounds like when you first hooked up the connection was not seated, when you reconnected the connection was correct. My experience, only time brakes completely lock up is when you pull your emergency brake cable.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
GLS3950
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18049
At just an idle does the trailer stop you? If not check the wires where they go into the axle, sometimes hey get cut by the sharp edges. Alos you can check connections in the junction box on he trailer pin box.
GLS3950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
The Integrated Brake Controller on GM trucks is a difficult (tedious) thing to diagnose as it is not as simple as reading a code and saying "Well that's what I need". That said, You don't indicate what year your truck is, but I have had to replace the IBC module twice due to the gel that covers the circuitry splitting. The module should be located above the left rear wheel mounted to the frame on the inside. Diagnosis is entirely checking voltages and resistances at the IBC module and relay, which is right next to the module. Reply with the year of your truck and I'll try to get you the diagnostic information if you like.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:24 PM   #5
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
I had the Service Trailer Brake System message randomly for the past 3-4 years. About 2 weeks ago, it started coming on every time I started the truck and put it into gear. I looked for bad grounds and other connections that may be causing the problem, but no luck. So, did a Google search and found some interesting stuff. As Kevin said, there are many solutions to the problem, but I found a lot of guys fixed their problem by replacing the trailer brake relay. So, I bought one and put it in. Didn't solve the problem. I was quickly running out of time with a camping trip coming up this week, so took the truck to the dealer. Turns out there was a TSB for this code and the Trailer Brake Control Module Kevin speaks of is the culprit. It didn't need to be replaced, just reprogrammed with different parameters. I've had the truck almost a week since the "repair", and so far, so good. My truck is an '07 and this TSB affected '08's as well according to the copy I got. Hope this helps.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote