Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2008, 03:24 AM   #1
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Our 1st "Dent"

Well, after reading the thread about cabinet doors causing problems when opening slides, we had one of our recliners catch the desk/entertainment slide causing the frame to bend. It no longer seals, about 2 inches apart at the bottom. The wood frame did not break. Any suggestions for repair or is this something for the dealer?

Also I was wondering if the sides opened in a different order we could stop and check. For instance, main slide 1st, would allow us to check doors on kitchen and entertainment slide. Ours now open, bedroom, kitchen entertainment, main slide. Is this this possible to change? If so, is it a good idea?

As a footnote, the guy that did our PDI told us there was no need to secure the recliners as they fit fine. Not only did the damage the frame, they tore a hole in the day night shade. I plan a little talk with the dealer too. Any suggestions on securing recliners? Do you use the factory straps?

brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:34 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The lesson learned here is that the dealer is not a real good source of real time information and... secure evrything down, use the velcro tie wraps on all cabinets..if you think there is a remote possibility that something may come loose in transit..secure it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:37 AM   #3
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
I cried when one of the doors got caught and the hinge stretched out the screw holes. Did this pull the "wooden" frame from the slideout or did it actually bend the slideout frame. If just the "wood" you might be able to fix it on your own. Good luck!
JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:07 AM   #4
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
No, it bent the metal frame. It's ok at the top, about 1/3 of the way down, it bends out. The wood is fine, it just follows the metal.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:18 AM   #5
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
We did the "pull out on a lower kitchen cupboard door" thing. Pulled the hinges out of the wood. The old toothpick trick fixed it. Now we have a note taped over the slideout switch to check the doors!!!! Oh well, I guess that's how we learn.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:20 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sorry to hear about the problem Ken.

As far as changing the order that the slides operate - no such luck. They move based on the whatever offers the least resistance first. If you have the valves, you can pick and choose, but that is a pain as well.

We don't use the factory straps, as the buckles broke pretty quick. We removed the floor brackets and now just put the chairs back to back and secure them together with a large tied down strap. They actually stay put better than when each was tied to the floor.

Good luck with the repairs.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:30 AM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
You can manually change the order that the slides open by closing the valves at the slide pump and open the one you want to slide out first, then open the second, etc.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:41 AM   #8
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
We use the factory straps clipped together around the backs of the chairs when they are back to back. We found it was to hard to use the floor brackets and they did not secure the chairs as well as putting the straps around the backs. Sorry to hear about your mishap. We also found not everyting the PDI guy told us was good advice. We have a printed self-made pre-travel checklist and wouldn't start a trip with out checking it.
Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:44 AM   #9
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
We have a 3000RK and I nearly tore the refrig door off while moving the slider. The refrig door was ajar and since it is hidden from view when the slider is closed and since no one had been in the coach I did not think to check it. The only good thing is I always watch the sliders either moving in or out so as soon as I saw the refrig door was caught on the edge of the slider I was able to stop the operation and save the door. Now I check even if it mean climbing over the dinnette to make sure everything is clear.
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:48 AM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Dhenry is right. You can control order with the valving in the front storage. It will take a little extra time and effort, but if you want to be cautious, take the time. When the new outside control panel becomes a part of Montanas, you will be able to individually control the slides with a selector switch. I wonder how much a retrofit would cost.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:13 AM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
That is one thing I think Keystone should do. Have a control for each slide. Our Cambridge had 4 buttons one for each slide. You could move which ever slide you wanted to. For instance when we stop to take a quick nap we could just move the bedroom slide out. That option was important for our new (SOB) 5er. I think Keystone could do the option at very few dollars, and it would be a good improvement. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:58 AM   #12
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Thanks all....well some good news. The fix looks simple. The wood trim is brad nailed (ton's of nails) to a 1x6 pine board that is screwed on the left hand side on the frame of the slide. These screws pulled out from the bottom. I removed the wood trim and the screws. The pine is a little warped but should screw back on flush. I'll add the trim back with my brad nailer when we get back home.

I agree, a control for each slide would be nice!
Old 03-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Just a couple of notes -

The slide valve assembly was an option - not all Montanas have it.

If you have the optional valve assembly, retrofit of individual electric controls is relatively easy with a cost of less than $300 for a four slide system. If you don't have the optional valve assembly, a valve block would need to be installed and would be not only messy, but much more expensive.

The new remote option on the 10th anniversay accomplishes individual slide control electrically. It uses the same solenoid valves in the valve block as the competitors us.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
There was a post by a diesel mechanic that put actuators or something on his pump that controlled individual slides. Maybe he'll post the link again.

The valves are awkward to say the least, and I have "heard," that you need to use a pair of pliers to get the valves to close all the way.

Now, I haven't jumped out of my easy chair to run out and look at Hanna, but I'm wondering - if a person were to change the pump lines around, wouldn't that change the order of closing. Put the line to the Main slide on the Bedroom slide and vice versa.

We tie our recliners down with the provided OEM straps. The chairs are back to back with the little useless table between them and the straps go to the floor connectors. DW's job to hook them up. She's more nimble than I and my knees don't get me get down and up easily. They have to be back-to-back to clear the slides. She is also responsible for tie down the dinette chairs with OEM straps.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:35 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wayne, I haven't tried this but I think it was MIMF who told us if those valves are hard to turn, just press the slide switch momentarily to remove the pressure and then they should turn by hand. As I said, I've not tried it yet.

I agree, individual valves would be great. Brad, do you know where the retrofit is available? Since the 10th anniv edition apparently has this maybe a Montana dealer could install it?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:50 AM   #16
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Ouch! Wish I didn't have to learn this sort of thing from others misfortune. I am a nut for checklists so this gets added to my draft "preflight" checklist. Has anyone posted a list before?
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #17
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Got home this afternoon and threw a few more screws into the pine and use the brad nailer to re-attach the trim. Repairs went well and can't notice the mishap.

BTW, the trim is some composite material, seems like foam that has the 'oak trim' painted on. I scratched a bit off the top where it is hidden by the corner cap. DW's comment is that this stuff sure saves on weight!!!!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #18
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
To answer my own question. This link from the many provided at the MOC home page. Thank you administrators.

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenav...s/FW_Hitch.txt
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote