Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2005, 08:36 AM   #1
Dick n Marie
Established Member

M.O.C. #58
flashing side marker lights

Has anyone checked out the wireing on their side marker lights. I'm going to wire them so they'll blink when I use the turn signals. I wanted to know if the ground side to the lights run to the frame or back to the pin box.

Dick n Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:22 AM   #2
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
SAndreasen and another couple we camp with were just talking about this last weekend. I would be interested in doing something like this as well. But only if it doesn't involve tearing the trailer apart to do it. Keep us posted on what you find out. Thanks
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:07 AM   #3
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Don't know about Montana's but typically the frame is the ground. How you going to get from the turn signal circuit to the lower side markers? The front corners might not be very difficult but the others could be a challenge. Most states have a specific heigth requirement (Min and Max from ground) for turn signals. Let us know how you make out. It is an interesting concept that Keystone should consider in there new units.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:32 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Someone posted about doing this a long time ago, try doing a searcg.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:26 PM   #5
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
You you would have to go to a double filament bulb one would be for running lights and the other for turn signal.You also would have to tie it in with the turn signal lines and who knows were they are ran through the unit. Seems it would be a difficult task.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:45 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
First a confession and apology, I asked MOC member Eagleone for this information back in December 2004. Somehow I lost it in my e-mail files. I don't think I ever thanked Eagleone for sending it and I am sorry about that because Eagleone was good enough to share his expertise and experience. The present thread reminded me of the previous discussion and I went looking for the message, and found the following:

HI JOHN
This is the second unit that I have installed turn signals on in this manner.
What I do is purchase a pair of lights from an auto store (the last
ones are from advance) which contain both running and turn lights. It
will take about 17 to 20 ft. of wire for each side depending on your length. I mounted the lights on the divider between the two wheels =
,directly below themontana mountain. This is plastic so be careful, the lights took four screws and a hole for the wires to go thru.Once I had the lights mounted I used crimp fasteners to attach the wires. I only had three lead wire so I used brown for to brown and yellow to red,green went to ground.I used wire nut to attach the ground wire to one of the screws for a ground.
Once this was completed I ran the wires to the REAR of the unit and
held it in place by attaching it to the wood under the unit with small plastic loops and wood screws.When I got to the arm that carried the slid out wireing I simply passed mine thru the same brackets and back along the frame to the rear,any loose areas I tightened with plastic wire ties.
I pulled out the tail light (assembly )and ran a bent coat hanger down by my rear jack and picked up the wire.
I hooked up my truck to the cord and made sure that I attached the correct wire to the correct wire.
The rear lights are easy to attach because they use wire nuts not crimp.
I have found in traveing l over the past 15,000 miles it has helped to have them.
GOOD LUCK
EAGLEONE
3295RK

I still think this is a useful mod, and will have a look at doing this on our trailer. Thanks Eagleone!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:48 AM   #7
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Eagleone's approach seems reasonable and should be fairly easy. Thanks.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:22 AM   #8
Dick n Marie
Established Member

M.O.C. #58
If the ground is seperate and not connected to the frame I can then connect the ground to the right and left turn siganal circuit. The pin box has a junction box where the wireing from the truck and trailer are made up. ( You might want to take the cover off and check the connections. They used wire nuts which is OK but they might need to be retightened and then I like to go over them with tape to be sure they stay tight). Wireing the ground side into the turn signal wireing at the pin box will make the side marker lights also blink when you use your turn signal.Your completing the circuit through the turn signal bulb making your marker light blink also.
Dick n Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:49 AM   #9
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Looks like I have a fall project before putting the trailer away for the winter. Thanks Eagleone, and OntMont for remembering the e'mail.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote