Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2023, 04:52 PM   #1
Milijose@embarqmail.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #25226
Replace bad floors in the slide

I have a 2018 fb3921 and all ready has to replace both slide rodent floors

Milijose@embarqmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 05:47 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I figure you meant "rotten" floors instead of "rodent" floors. You have multiple water leaks whether it be around the windows draining on down or the slide seals themselves. RV's are like boats ... you have to inspect them constantly while you are pouring in money to keep them purdy.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 07:50 PM   #3
Milijose@embarqmail.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #25226
Yes I do that but you will have to take the carpet out and the black tartp that is on the plywood and take the refrigerator out and check the double floor is hard to fix leaks when is not water visible trust me the industry of camper manufacture are design to fall apart after 5 years of use, they don’t use marine great plywood only the most economical that they can find.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:39 PM   #4
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
Do a search on you tube for slide ski installation videos. It sounds like water is wrapping around to the bottom side, making the floor wet. It may be worth your time to check it out.
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 07:43 PM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
The floor plan below is NOT a 3921FB - however it is close enough for my questions.

Just curious - are you the original owner?

You mention that “both slide floors” are rotten and must be replaced.
There are 3 slides in the RV.
Look at the areas noted below and identify which areas are in bad shape. (A? B? etc.)
Knowing the specific areas would allow folks here in the forum to advise you of potential leak locations to check, and what to do to stop the leaks.

For example - if the kitchen slide has suffered damage - it could be that the caulking on the bottom corner slide trim has failed. The kitchen slide does not have side windows - but the dining slide does. Leaking window frames have been known to cause damage to the floor and wall where they occur.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1A7DACA2-3456-4945-B402-F618FF7DD222.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	14306  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 08:46 PM   #6
Milijose@embarqmail.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #25226
AC and hf rain water come down from the wall of the slide is not a flash build in the slide so the water go away from the slide. Then water go under the slide the plywood is rap on a black tarp water go in and stay for long time no way out so it rotten plywood in each corners of the slide that is the case H and F
The case of A and C was C that conner is the residencial refrigerator water from the tray come out go to back conner with time go under conner and they use the most cheap materials press wood and water destroy that conner.
So once you fix all your Montana the people trade it in and start new headaches so I will keep this one for long long time
Old 04-05-2023, 04:36 AM   #7
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I’m sorry you have issues in your slides. You need to find and correct the leaks or your problem will get worse. There are videos on YouTube from people who have repaired or replaced rotten slide floors. Search for and watch those videos. I have also seen videos of folks treating the rotten plywood with an epoxy mixture. I have no experience for fixing rotten floors - but I have seen some good videos.

I have a 2018 3921FB and I have not experienced these problems in any of my slides. Additionally - my fridge does not leak water, however - the first thing to check are the valves and connections for the ice maker. I have a valve under the bottom drawer on the left side of the fridge. Take the drawer out and look at the valve. Check the connection at the fridge.

See screen shots below.

1. Check the caulking on top of the aluminum angle trim at the bottom of all of your slides. The black woven material on the bottom of your main slides is called darco. I would clean the existing caulk and reseal using ProFlex RV clear.
2. Caulk along the top of both windows. Some folks have removed the window frame, install new butyl tape and reinstall the windows.
3. The bottom trim angle on the kitchen slide is just like I describe in item 1 above.

For item 1 and 3, do a google search for “slide skis” or look for them on Amazon. There are many videos on YouTube showing how to install slide skis. When properly installed, a leak at the bottom corner trim will be stopped and the darco edge will be protected.

You should also get on a ladder and look at the black roof trim piece at the top of the slide to check for missing roof sealant. Use rubber conditioner on all wiper seals to keep them in good shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	222DA819-7029-44F4-A270-124545C8E60D.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	14309   Click image for larger version

Name:	50E9AB0F-4053-4053-B3F7-B26F6B525130.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	14310  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:48 PM   #8
Milijose@embarqmail.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #25226
Well my dear friend I hope that when you replace your carpet don’t get a surprise the water intrusion is from bottom up from the tarp floors. Like I said before I will keep this one for long time, the industry of rv will not change they are build crap and sale it like gold as long people keep buying they will never change they need to be like the car industry but that will never happen I am happy with my Montana after you has to spend money and time to fix all the bugs out they build them so fast just think about this they made 20 of this Montana a day PDI is a joke.
Now my plywood panels are marine grade seal with a coating to be weather proof