Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2017, 06:54 AM   #1
dfryk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19708
Satellite connection problem

We have a 2015 3160 RL. Never had a satellite dish until this trip. We bought a Tailgater dish with Dish Network service. When we connected the cable from the dish to the coach jack we get no connection. When we go direct to the receiver (through a side window) we can connect. I spent 2 hours on the phone with Dr Dish, who was very helpful, but had to give up connecting through the coach. With a 35' cable, this limits where we can locate the dish. Very frustrating. Any ideas out there?

Thanks.

dfryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:09 AM   #2
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
My recommendation. On my 2006 Monty, I have the DISH X2 antenna and 2 ZIP211z receivers. I installed connectors on the wall nearest each receiver and then built and routed my cable from the wall to the ZIP receiver. For connection to the X2, I have 2 50 foot cables that I built using the best connectors and cable available. It works for me because I bypass all the Monty cabling that probably used poor quality cables and connectors. Hope you can find a tech friend at home if you don't want to do it yourself. Supplies are available at a good computer technology store with suggestions by the staff on how to make the system work. Until you get home, stick with using the window for cable routing.
timandsusan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When we installed ours on our 2010 I had to replace the jacks (connectors) in the convenience center. They were cheap crap. Now in the 2017 I had to remove a splitter behind the convenience center. Our king tailgater gets is power back down the cable from the receiver and the splitter was cutting the power.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #4
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Check the bedroom connections, there could be a short jumper that needs to be moved from cable/TV to Satellite on the one end. Also on some of the older units if the 12volt booster is on it blocks the satellite signal. Try turning it off, it could be in the bedroom or it might be behind the TV in the coach...
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #5
RichR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11369
My 3400rl has two connections for tv, one for land connect(59) and one labeled satellite (RG6). RG6 is used to carry power to the antenna, 59 coax will not carry the required power therefore no signal.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Some have mentioned that the outside coax connections were mislabeled and it was a matter of figuring out which was which.

Here is s thread with wiring diagrams for different years.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=37324
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:31 PM   #7
dfryk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19708
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by timandsusan View Post
My recommendation. On my 2006 Monty, I have the DISH X2 antenna and 2 ZIP211z receivers. I installed connectors on the wall nearest each receiver and then built and routed my cable from the wall to the ZIP receiver. For connection to the X2, I have 2 50 foot cables that I built using the best connectors and cable available. It works for me because I bypass all the Monty cabling that probably used poor quality cables and connectors. Hope you can find a tech friend at home if you don't want to do it yourself. Supplies are available at a good computer technology store with suggestions by the staff on how to make the system work. Until you get home, stick with using the window for cable routing.
That is what I am going to do. This rig was pre-wired for satellite separately from the cable system. The cable works fine. So, I'm not going to waste any time on the road. I have an extended warranty that covers electrical. For the next five weeks, I'll have a little window open a bit...but we can watch football.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I am going to let Keystone pay for whatever it takes to make this deal work.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #8
leasurejf
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10937
Send a message via AIM to leasurejf
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfryk View Post
That is what I am going to do. This rig was pre-wired for satellite separately from the cable system. The cable works fine. So, I'm not going to waste any time on the road. I have an extended warranty that covers electrical. For the next five weeks, I'll have a little window open a bit...but we can watch football.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I am going to let Keystone pay for whatever it takes to make this deal work.
We had the same problem with our Winegard Traveller. Dish came out and installed a diplexer in the line and problem solved. Satellite works great. Should also work in your situation. Connections are clearly labeled.
https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Aspen-5...ords=diplexers
leasurejf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #9
dfryk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19708
Quote:
Originally Posted by leasurejf View Post
We had the same problem with our Winegard Traveller. Dish came out and installed a diplexer in the line and problem solved. Satellite works great. Should also work in your situation. Connections are clearly labeled.
https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Aspen-5...ords=diplexers
For the rest of this trip, we are going direct to the receiver. We also had to go to a 35' coax cable rather than a 50". Tech at King, the company that makes the Tailgater said 50' is at the very max for a good connection. While on the phone with him I made the switch to 35' and the connection came right away.

thanks for you tip. I will look into that when we get home.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:19 PM   #10
wkay

M.O.C. #23957
The tailgater system I own will not work if you run it through the system installed in the newer Montanas. The signal strength drops too low to pickup all all of the satellites. I bypassed the system using an A/B switch I bought online. Now I can use the installed system in the living room for cable and antenna and bypass it for the satellite. This was fairly easy to do because the coax in the Montana is color coded for each connection. Just look in the box at the desired location to get the right cable color. Keystone was good to send me a coax system wiring diagram to use for reference.
wkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:54 AM   #11
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Keystone sent you ??

Wait wait wait a minute! Keystone sent you a what? Cable wiring diagram?
That has got to be a first! Can you take a pic and post it?
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #12
wkay

M.O.C. #23957
Keystonne Coax Box Connection Diagram

This is located on the off door side behind the filling station. Need to remove a curved panel and look above the water pump. A hand held mirror helps to see the wiring labels. BTW I also found several loose connections
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Direct TV Schematics (2).pdf (414.0 KB, 134 views)
wkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:10 AM   #13
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
wiring diagram

Thankyou. You have the KeyTV system...my 2018 does not have it.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:23 PM   #14
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I couldn't get my Dish Pathway 2 to work thru the Monty wiring and a 25 (or 50 - can't remember) foot cable. I got to thinking and figured out the internal wiring from the convenience center to the living room is over 30 feet long minimum. It actually goes to the back of my trailer (I think in the roof) down the side, into the slide with the TV, across this slide, and up the side wall 3 feet. So you add the trailer to the 25 ft cable and you are over 50 ft. Plus i am guessing with all the connectors along the way, the signal strength is too weak.
So like others, I added a direct connector in the wall behind the TV and a 50 ft cable works fine.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:24 AM   #15
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Do any of you guys have any pics, I have been beating this up now for about one or two months now. So I was thinking that I can disconnect the coax cable behind the tv and find the coax cable the same color that come from the convenient center and just connect it to the receiver but I would take it off of the jumper splitter.

So pics would help.
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote