Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > What's cooking?
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2012, 03:12 AM   #1
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Oven question

The ovens in our previous trailers didn't cook well. Burnt on the bottom and under cooked on the top. I was told to put tiles or an airbake cookie sheet in the botton rack of the oven and that would solve my problem. Never actually tried it. I remember someone writing that there was one or two brands of ovens in R/V's that didn't reqire this. So, our new Montana has a Magic Chef oven. We haven't used it yet(still playing with the convection oven),but I was wondering if I should go looking for ceramic tiles for this oven, or if it cooks fine on it's own? I may have to bake some cookies or a pie in the near future.

John

woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:00 AM   #2
Jim Dickey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7372
We use a pizza stone in ours. It works great no burning on the bottoms.
Jim Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:01 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Get a pizza stone. We're not baking till winter but I researched this on several forums and the answers you got were common as was the pizza stone. The advantage of the pizza stone is PIZZA. Didn't mean to X2, apparently Jim was a hair faster.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:29 AM   #4
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Where can I find one of these mythical Pizza Stones?
Old 09-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #5
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
The DW was pleasantly surprised with the performance of the oven in ours. In the old Jayco we used a tile, but no more. The cinnamon rolls haven't burnt yet and I'm looking forward to pies in the fall.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
I always had the bottom burning issue until I read on this forum about using an Airbake cookie sheet. It works great and have not had anything burn since.
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by woodtic

Where can I find one of these mythical Pizza Stones?
Anywhere, Walmart, Bed bath and beyond, you name it. They're just a round stone that you would bake a pizza on in either a regular oven or in a wood fired oven.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Try the ole google search trick, CountryGuy found me a SQUARE pizza stone, it happens to fit right down in that little area on the bottom of the oven. Fit like a glove!

And, the air bake cookie sheets, etc. YEP!! Like those too!

Use both!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Ditto with Carol, Did the airbake and it works but the coating does come off later on. Square shaped stone fits right in. Love it
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I tried baking cookies in ours without one and I overdid them. However, it was my first time using the oven in this unit. I used to use a pizza stone in my old one. I may just try that again. Does everyone put it in the bottom of the stove? I got my square one at Bed Bath and Beyond for $20 or so and it fits perfect.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Pampered Chef also has the square stones too.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #12
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
I picked up an air bake cookie sheet at Ace Hardware last week. Used the oven for the first time yesterday. Mmmmm, good chocolate chip cookies. It works great.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
kampk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11126
Are the square stones the ones that measure 14x16? I have seen that size at various locations and was wondering if that was the one.
kampk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #14
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
OK ladies, I went out and got the pizza stone and put it in the oven with great anticipation that my lovely wife will be starting to make her famous cookies and cheesecake. We went out and got an oven thermometer to monitor the temp. We have pre-heated the oven and attempted the first batch of cookies....Fail! The oven does not seem to either hold temp and is not accurate per twhat the dial says on the oven (about 25 degrees off). Today she pre-heated the oven to 350, stuck the first sheet of peanut butter cookies for what was supposed to be 10 to 12 minutes. After 7 the cookies were burnt on top and the oven thermometer now read 425.

Has anyone else had these issues? I am now getting very worried that I maybe without our holiday delights.

She is going now try the convection oven to see how that works.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Les

Old 11-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
The DW got an Airbake cookie sheet and uses that and has had no problems with it so far. She just put it on the bottom of the oven to reduce some of the direct heat coming up thus eliminating the burnt offerings! We'll see what happens when we head out in January and see if we can get things working again in the unit!
Les I'd go out and buy one of those remote temperature gauges you use on the grill and put it in the oven and see what it is reading. IF you block the entire oven bottom with the tile it won't give you the correct heat in the oven. The tile has to be just the right size to fit in the space between the heat exchanger slots in the ovens!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #16
ALSAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12193
Well, we have tried metal bake wear & silicone bake wear with temp were it was indcated and then tried turning down the temp and with baking stone also , no joy burn baby burn , I thought I was a god with all burnt offerings before me but DW set me straight on that idea. I will be takeing the rig in for warranty work so will have dealer check it out
ALSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #17
cwalker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9730
My oven bakes pretty well, sometimes just takes a little longer than a house oven. If you put a tile or pizza stone in the bottom do you take it out when you are traveling or leave it in? We have some tiles which we've never used but John said they would break to pieces if we left them in the oven when we're traveling.
cwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:36 AM   #18
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Well folks here's the update on the possible Cookie-gate that has been avoided!

Sue has used both the gas oven with the tile and the convection micro and as the "OCT" (Official Cookie Taster) I can say that she is learning quickly as to how to tweak the recipes for their time and temp. The newest batch of peanut butter hershey kiss cookies came out perfect in both ovens. The chocolate chocolate chip the same. Her big issue is now that she has to watch the cookies very closely whereas before she would just drop them in for the set time and remove when the timer went off.

I think the bigger issue will be is where will we store the 13 different types she bakes? They used to take up half of our freezer chest in the S & B so now we can only make a limited amlunt of each! Really gonna be hard trying to not eat them all before the holiday...then again, what the heck!

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Les
Old 11-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #19
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
I've done what Rondo suggested and used a digital meat probe secured to a rack to monitor oven temp. They aren't really designed for that high temperature but did give readings of 450F. Ours would last so long and quit working. As long as they did work you could see how accurate the front dial on the stove was. I've tried to source a proper digital oven temperature sensor but so far no luck.

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #20
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The major oven research for us is still a ways away. All summer over 100 in Kansas and most days 80 degrees since we got here are discouraging oven research. I'm sure it will get cool sometime soon and then we'll be experimenting again.