Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Driving from California to Washing state in winter

Has anyone driven these grades during snow conditions? First is Mt. Shasta Grade, Grants Pass and then the Siskius grade. We are now going to Washington but want to head back south around Januarary or February towards Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona. Our concerns are going down the grades. We have a 3500RL towed by a Ford F350 crew cab, 6.0 Diesel. We know the heater works great, lol. Its a lot of weight pushing the truck down hill. Any ideas or advice will be welcomed. Its our first winter road experience. L ooking forward to the fall and winter scenery changes.

Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Wheelhouse,
There are several MOC members who make just such a trip. Most of them make the trip when there is little to no chance of snow. We've crossed a couple of times during that period of time. One time we were racing a storm but it ended up being a tie. We laid up overnight on the north side of the pass out of Ashland, OR. Next morning the storm had moved on and so did we. Carry chains when told to do so by the authorities or be prepared to get ticketed.

We don't do snow or ice because we're not used to such driving. We will alter our route and or wait it out. The grades are steep but folks travel on them all the time. All the states work to keep the road open. I assume you are talking about I-5. Of course once you get beyond Dunsmuir the long and steep grades are all passed. You still have a few short ups and downs but nothing that will cause you any major concern.

There are alternative routes. Some folks go down 395. The grades are not as severe and if there is no weather 395 makes a good trip.

On the southern end of the San Joaquin Valley you will either have to cross the Tehachapis or the Grapevine. Either way you get up to just about 4,000 feet, a little over. If there are no storms either way will work. Unless you have a reason to go into the Los Angeles area I'd suggest going over the Tehachapi Pass and on into Barstow. From there choose either 15 or 40 to wherever you decide to go. Good luck and just watch the weather to make your exit! Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:21 AM   #3
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I agree with HamRad. I would go with I5 rather than 395 because the chance of having a clear roadway is much better on a main interstate then just a state highway. If you watch your weather forecast and the highway conditions it should be a piece of cake.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:35 AM   #4
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
We did it last year. Like Hamrad said, we timed our passage over the summit between storms. Made it by 8 hours. When going north bound we didn't time it just right and went up the coastal route and cut back over to I5 from Reedsport. We also carried cables with us just in case.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:50 AM   #5
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
We use this site all the time
Winter driving from Washington to California
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Snowman8wa
Established Member

M.O.C. #10453
Did it last year for Christmas, from WA to SoCal and back.....concur on the chain laws in OR, never had to chain up, but coming back we had ice fog over Syskiou summit. One advantage, my Chevy 3500LTZ. Crested summit out of Ashland, and set the cruise control at 38mph coming back North, the Chevy's "jakebrake" kept me pegged at 45mph all the way into Ashland. No problems at all. Outside air temp was 22F....picked up ice on my antenna...started waving like a flag with the ice-too funny.....
Snowman8wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
luvmywestie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11479
We are making the trip from Oregon down to AZ via I-5 the day after Christmas. I talked to several friends who snowbird every year and they have all assured us that we just need to watch the weather reports, have the chains with us, and we may need to be a little patient. If we have to stop in Grants Pass and wait at least we'll have a place to sleep! ODOT keeps I-5 clear and is constantly plowing so it should all go well.

We took our little TT to San Diego last Spring and had a freak snow storm going over the Siskiyou mountains. I was a little white knuckled as the snow was falling fast but there was enough traffic the roads were pretty clear and they weren't requiring chains be installed. We planned to go over the mountains later morning to afternoon when the roads were scooped and clean. It all worked out well and by the time we came back the scenery actually looked like Spring!
luvmywestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
You should get the highway sites for California and Oregon also the USA weather website and check them daily. I went down in Jan. 2010 and back in Feb. the roads where clear of snow even on the shoulders. Two days after they had a major storm. Add an extra day or two to make your trip and you should be fine. I have friends that did that trip for about 6 or 7 times at that time of year and said they clear the road quite quickly. Take your time and and have a great trip.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Regarding chains, if you have a 4x4, don't you need chains for the front, too? For you 4x4ers who will say they are not needed even I know 4x4 helps you go, but it doesn't necessarily help with stopping, hence the chains!

But aren't chains needed for the trailer too? I've heard this helps the trailer from sliding around back there especially on windy or hilly roads and helps prevent losing control (after all, the trailer is heavier than what the TV weighs.)

No one has mentioned it but does anyone now the deal. Chains are those types of things you carry along but hope to not have to use. I would try and make weather windows but know that sometimes the unexpected arises and you need to be prepared.

About driving during these times, it's also better to drive during the day when it's warmer rather than the colder hours at night when any precipitation on the roads freezes over and this is when it's especially dangerous. Make the weather and traffic channels a priority and this should help a lot. Then prepare for the worse.

On Edit: Btw Oldguard... great website you provided in the link. Lots of good stuff in there, besides roadside cameras, there's many other links to other information like road incidents and so many other things.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Art,
You do need chains for the trailer. You need to put chains/cables on at least one axle on the trailer otherwise the trailer may just decide to pass you when you apply the brakes on a downhill! That you do not want.

Regarding the link for the roadcams..... Great site use it all the time. Love to be able to see what is going on. Plus all kinds of other info as you indicated. Later, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
Jim Dickey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7372
If you go to the DOT sites for WA, OR and CA it will tell you what the requirements are for truck and trailer and how they are to be installed on the truck and trailer. It does vary by state.
Jim Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote