Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Rio Grande Winter Texans
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2008, 02:28 AM   #1
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Return for 08-09

Wife and I are trying to get a handle on fuel prices to return to the RGV for next winter, I think the high fuel prices if they stay this way will hold some folks from going back. It is 1751 miles down for us.

old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:39 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
The fuel prices for this last winter already made a dent in the traffic down there. There were campsites open January, February. The places we saw openings there were NONE for the previous 2 years. Not one hole, and this year, MANY!

There are parks that are still full, but, lots of holes.

People are purchasing lots, leaving their rigs there all year, and/or are purchasing park models, and driving a car, instead of toting a RV.

We have about 1700 miles, from home to home, Mi to Tx. But, if we figure the entire trip, with price at $2.50 and then $3.00 and then $3.50 and then $4.00, what is the price that keeps you home?? Figure on the entire trip, with the mileage you get. Roughly for us, the difference between $3 and $4 a gallon of gas is about $245.00 one way.

Al is fond of saying, I did not spend all this $$ for Big Butt and Tana to keep em parked in the drive all year round.

Besides, we dislike winter more and more every year. OKKK, Carol is turning into a softy!

That said, we can cancell our reservation, eh??? SIGHHHHH
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:11 AM   #3
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
I have a sense from a number of our friends that their budgets will permit "summer travel" OR "snowbirding" but not both and that they are adjusting their plans accordingly. We are still a year away from "snowbird status" but have worked hard and long to get ourselves in a position to leave winter behind when we retire. Fortunately, we have a terrific seasonal site for the summer and fall months on Ontario's beautiful Niagara Peninsula. We will struggle along as semi-permanent summer residents of Niagara's "great wine, great food, great weather" community so that we can make the trek south and not let fuel prices destroy our fuel budget or our winter escape plans.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:29 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Snowbirding, even 2000 miles to the RGV, is not so bad if you just go there and more or less stay put for three months. You get a good monthly rate, and there are only a few days of towing there and back. What is more costly is running around in the summer for a weekend here, and a week there, etc. You pay top $ for your site, and you spend a higher proportion of your time traveling, and therefore using fuel. We have decided to travel less this summer for more reasons than just fuel prices, but that is a big one. We will still do a summer trip, but we will cut down on the galavanting around to a lot of different places.

According to our local radio "experts" there will be no let up in fuel prices, and $7/gal is likely within a couple of years, so enjoy the cheap $4 fuel while you still can!!!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:18 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Figured at 10 mpg, 2000 miles at $3 a gallon is $600. At $4 a gallon it is $800. I agree with Al on this one. $200 is not going to stop my travel. I'm making a 4000 mile round trip starting in about 2 weeks (YES JIMF, we are coming) and that does not include drive around sight seeing. At $5 a gallon that will be $2000 in fuel instead of the previously estimated $1600, just for towing. The rest of our time for the remainder of the year will be in and around our stick house. As y'all know, there are plenty of CG's in Texas and I have a few hundred within a few hundred miles of the stick house.

Put it in the perspective of you winter Texans. It comes out about the same. In two years at $7 a gallon the long trips will not be for me, but the short in-and-around will still be here.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:30 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
When we first started going to the RGV is cost us under $400. one way. This year it cost us just over $800. to come home. I expect we will pull the unit down again this winter, even though we won't be staying in it. It will sit in the storage area. We have over 2100 miles to get to and from the valley and enjoy stopping when and where we want on the trip. It will also be easier to take trips during the winter without the hassle of unhooking and hooking up the utilities.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:44 AM   #7
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
We will be going back to the valley for sure. The Montana is down there and we are not because of the leg thing. It's doing great,getting better everyday. We will be looking forward to getting together with everyone again.Mickey and Mary and Wilson will be there. We will be at Winter Ranch, lot 481 in Alamo TX around the first of Dec.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
It appears that we will be heading back to San Benito(Fun N Sun) this year....I have to make a decision soon as I have a site reserved there...I have been looking for another park to go to,,,someplace further west into the valley...I expect to pay approx $1800 for 5 months....the place I really like is at least 1/3 more......DW says no flea marketting if I spend my allowance......
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
WE will also be headed for the Valley, it will be different as we sold the 5th wheel just before we left last year and bought a small 2bd brick home in the same community.. I will be using the Cummins to haul a U-Haul full of furniture this October down to the house. We will stay three or four weeks and then it is back to work on our place in Kansas. We will return later in January I suppose and stay the rest of the winter. From that point on tho, we will just be driving the car and that gets excellent mileage. We still have the nice 45X 110 Rv site down there and I have leased it for the year to a Wisconsin couple who left their 5th wheel down there all year rather than haul it up to Wisconsin and then back. I think they made a wise decision on that one.. We are really looking forward to seeing you all down there. If you get close drop in Green Gate Grove #113 and have a cup of coffee......
We are looking and I am sure we will find another MONTANA to fill the spot in our hearts that is now empty.. I am going to get one with a BLENDER LIKE RICHFAA.
Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote