Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Physical Fitness

Those of you whom I had the pleasure of meeting at the Fall 09 Rally can attest to the fact that I am no shining example of physical prowess. In fact, I am over weight by many many pounds. But please bare with me and listen to my story.

Eight years ago I was involved in an unfortunate accident while working under a S10 pickup. I'll spare you the details, except to say it resulted in a week's stay in the hospital and a lengthy bout of physical therapy. While doing the therapy, the therapist/owner told me how important it would be to continue working out after the insurance stopped paying for the treatments. Thus began my life of working out. Today, I work out a minimum of 3 times a week, usually more. DW usually goes with me. We joined Planet Fitness, which was the least expensive place around - $10 a month. Over the years I expanded my workouts from the initially damaged areas to complete upper/lower body. Yes, I'm still over weight, but I can still do most of the things I always did.

So, why the post? I share the same physical attributes as my father. Yet I am far more active at my age than he was. It is my belief (and hope) that this will help extend our camping years. Some people have posted that they are active campers even though they are in their 70's. Orv is one that comes to mind. He and people like him are my role models.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you don't have to be like Jack LaLane (remember him?) and work out 8 hours a day, seven days a week. You just have to stay active. Do what suits your lifestyle: walk, ride a bike, whatever. Don't wait for tomorrow, do it today. Don't think that because you are out of shape, it won't help. Start a regiment and stick to it. If you walk a mile today, try to go a little further tomorrow (or the next time), and repeat this until you are comfortable that you have reached a reasonable limit. Don't be afraid of a little pain, but don't try to do things you did 30 (or more) years ago! This is not something others can do for you, and it is not something you can get out of a bottle.

Let me leave you with this thought: even if it doesn't make you live longer (although it probably will), it will help you be able to enjoy the time you have more. To steal Niki's phrase: Just Do It!

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Physical fitness activities must become a habit that you automatically work in your daily routine. The Army was doing PT long before it became a fad, now more normal, in the civilian community. It was a habit...and now 20 years later is still a habit.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:39 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
TLightning/Tom S. I agree and the Military was a mind opener for me. Delaine and I always look for a fitness center were ever we are. We used a Fitness center in the RGV and we paid the Winter Texan price. We are now members of the YMCA here in Foley, Ala. its a excellent facility, very clean and very good equipment, and plenty of different types of machines. And for the Retired Military there as you know most all Military bases have excellent Fitness Centers.
When we are near Military Bases we alway use their Centers. I believe for a fact exercise has extended my life, I have lived longer than my Parents and their brothers and sisters. And just yesterday I learned that a younger wife keeps men more active . GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:54 AM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

...............Just Do It!
Tom, you're right; thanks for the reminder.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:36 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

And just yesterday I learned that a younger wife keeps men more active . GBY...
What... looking for their boyfriends? I don't want any woman that can run faster than me... wink wink.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote