Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2008, 05:29 AM   #1
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
rainy days?

We are in the N. Houston area and have been since Jan. 5. It has rained for the last week or more. Question: What do you folks do when the weather is cold and raining? Seems like such a small space to have too much to keep one occupied. I knit, read and scrapbook DH surfs the internet, but then what? And don't forget a Lab who wants/needs to get exercise and he doesn't care if it's raining,
but requires a total wipe down each time he comes back inside.
Just wonderin......
Sandy

slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:17 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Must be why so many head to Arizona!
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:38 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Sandy, we have been doing genealogy research during the foul weather. I packed the PC this time when we came down. We turned the dining table sideways, and now have the PC and laptop set up. I get bored pretty quickly with the genealogy, so that's why I have been on the forum a lot lately. I have a few other forums I frequent also, but this is the best of them. We spent the winter (Jan-Mar) in Port Mansfield last year, but it is too desolate there to suit us. It is also very windy there. We'll say it's just breezy here. We have a Schnauzer, but he is content to lay on the sofa, or in front of the electric heater if we're using it. My kids have a Lab at home; she is always in a water hole. Also, we'll hop in the truck and head to Rockport or Port A just to look at the sights.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Sandy,
I sit here with all the luxuries of a stick house and a big fenced in back yard for Miya. (I couldn't resist that)

I don't know if you have gone to any of the attractions in the area. The Houston Museum of Natural History is presently displaying Lucy.
The Galveston Mardi Gras is January 25-February 5, rain or shine.

Jim and Joan are in Kemah, tx and they are in a Monty. The Kemah Boardwalk has several attractions. Johnson Space Center is another attraction, inside and outside, but the outside is via open (with a roof) tour bus that takes you to building on-site of JSC.

Holiday World on I-45S of Houston has a red tag sale. Trailers are open for viewing even when raining. Just need an umbrella. If you go inside the main building, be sure to take the PUP with you as they have a large bag of dog treats for the four legged friends.

We could all get together for an evening meal. I live in Texas City, 40 miles south of Houston. Were are you exactly. You can PM me if you would like, or post here.

Houston Attractions:

Children's Museum of Houston
- www.cmhouston.org - (713) 522-1138 - 45 reviews

Museum of Fine Arts Houston
- www.mfah.org - (713) 639-7300 - 24 reviews

Menil Collection
- www.menil.org - (713) 525-9400 - 17 reviews

Minute Maid Park
- houston.astros.mlb.com - (713) 259-8800 - 25 reviews

Contemporary Arts Museum
- www.camh.org - (713) 284-8250 - 10 reviews

Museum of Fine Arts Houston: Bayou Bend Collection
- www.mfah.org - (713) 639-7750 - 7 reviews

Houston Arboretum & Nature Center
- www.houstonarboretum.org - (713) 681-8433 - 6 reviews

Traders Village Houston Inc
- www.tradersvillage.com - (281) 890-5500 - 17 reviews

Harris County Heritage Society
- www.heritagesociety.org - (713) 655-8514 - 1 review

Museum of Fine Arts Houston: Glassell Junior School
- www.mfah.org - (713) 639-7700 -
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
WOW, if that isn't a big chunk of Texas hospitality I don't know what is. We are in New Caney at a lovely campground "Forest Retreat". We have been to a boardwalk but I thought it was on/near Galveston Bay. Your ideas with websites will definately help to take away the rainy day blahs. We will certainly check them out. We will be here until the 5th of February so we will have time to do some investigating. Thank you so very much.
Sandy
Old 01-25-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Let's do plan on meeting one time before you depart.
We also want to head out sometime in February for a few weeks.

Edited: p.s., you are approximatley 70 miles from Texas City. That is only a hop-skip-and-a-jump in Texas travel. Just say when and we'll see if we are available. Both going to physical therapy, Tue, Thur & Fri until the 2nd.

There is an alternative to growing old and I don't like it.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:22 AM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
We crack out the DVDs, cards, and games - until I get tired of Jena beating me (like a drum)!! We usually increase our allottted naptime, too.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:31 AM   #8
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Small world Sandy as we will be arriving in New Caney on Feb 2 from the RGV. Will be staying at Lone Star Lakes RV Park. The suggestions will assist us also. Also don't forget the George H.W. Bush Library and Museum in College Park. One of our goals in our travels is to visit all the Presidential Museums. When it is wet we try to do the inside stuff like visiting Museums, Old Homes, Art Exhibits, and anything else inside. We also catch up on printing our pictures and getting them in albums. Fortunately in three years we haven't had a lot of rain, but also we are way behind in getting pictures into albums. We still have to do last winter.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
We are at the Forest Retreat just a few blocks south of Lone Star Lakes RV Park. We are real happy with this park, concrete pads, clean laundry faciities, nice folks running the place and free coffee, newspaper and ice DAILY. Can't be beat. Good Sam park too so the rate is $29. We will be back here again next year. Have a safe trip.
Sandy
Old 01-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
To be honest, when in the Montana during dreary, rainy weather, we do the same things we did during dreary, rainy weather when we lived in our stick home. Sometimes we stay in. Sometimes we go out. I know this doesn't sound like much of an answer but if you think about it, I think it says it all. At least it does for us.

It is a good question, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Dave and Carla,
Same offer goes for y'all. Let's have lunch.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:39 AM   #12
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Sue: I know what you are saying, but when I'm at home I can get out in my car and go to friends house, or do laundry or paint walls, clean cupboards, go get the grandkids, etc. Here? Not so easy. So, I sit and play on the laptop, watch TV, read and eat. So, when I get home I'll have to workout. I will say tho that the Texas hospitality has been grand cause now we are scheduled to have lunch with Waynem. How nice is that?
Sandy
Old 01-27-2008, 02:33 AM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Paint walls! Clean Cupboards!

Darn! We should have invited you to the house to get your fix!!!! :-)
Old 01-27-2008, 02:44 AM   #14
sathompson1

M.O.C. #8117
Go West! Quartzsite Arizona is a great place with very little rain. This last week it was pouring in San Diego and snowing in the mountains, but Quartzsite was warm and beautiful. The RV show was great. All kinds of fun new RV stuff. I bought a new stabilizer system from Winfield RV Products, So for now I am "Rock Solid" in Quartzsite with alot of other new friends I have met living in Montana's.
sathompson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:38 AM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sathompson1

Go West! Quartzsite Arizona is a great place with very little rain. This last week it was pouring in San Diego and snowing in the mountains, but Quartzsite was warm and beautiful. The RV show was great. All kinds of fun new RV stuff. I bought a new stabilizer system from Winfield RV Products, So for now I am "Rock Solid" in Quartzsite with alot of other new friends I have met living in Montana's.
Scott, we too are in Quartzsite. It is raining. We have had 10 beautiful previous days, but today is a bit miserable. Wish you could have met up with the MOC group out on Plomosa Road. We had a wonderful time! Maybe next year you can join us!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #16
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We don't get alot of cold, rainy days - just arctic, snowy days too slick to drive around. So, they become cleaning days, reading, catching up on bills / office stuff, plan the next Monty improvement, internet surfing, (since we are fulltiming) plan and cook larger meals with the intent to freeze (sauces, pizza doughs, breads, etc). We also inspect our eyelids for leaks for a few hours, aggrivate the dog and cat by not letting them sleep, watch videos we have been wanting to see, call friends we have not spoken with for some time. Hope these help for those days you just don't feel like roaming or the weather refuses to cooperate.
Bernie
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote