Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2007, 01:56 AM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Car Storage

Do you do anything to prepare your "stay at home" cars for storage when you are on trips? Last year we were gone about 10 weeks and only stored the cars in the garage. When we came home, both started immediately and everything worked. Next year we plan to be on the road about 4-5 months going to Alaska.

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:58 AM   #2
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
We are lucky to have Chuck's son who comes by the stick house, picks up the mail, and moves the car around in the driveway (when he is not tied up with the girlfriend!)
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:00 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My rig was stored for a year. My sister drove the truck once a month to lubricate the drive train and charge the battery about 50 miles. During the winter months she started it every 45 days and let it warm up.
I guess a mechanic will have to tell you about storage for 4 or 5 months. Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:13 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We kept our car in the garage while we were on our trip to Alaska. I think we unhooked the battery. Some folks have said that it's good to put something, like wood, between the tires and concrete. Otherwise, I think it will do fine. Ours started right up.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:31 AM   #5
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Change the oil, top off the fluids. Fill it with gas and throw some StaBil gas preservative in the gas tank. Unhook the battery, and go have fun. Don't have someone start it up and not drive it. If it's going to be started, then it should be taken out and run down the road so all fluids are well circulated and warmed up. (30-40 miles). Starting it and not driving it just creates condensation in places that doesn't get dried out again.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We store ours in the garage and always fill the gas tank before leaving. We also disconnect the battery. When we return after six or seven months we have a small battery charger. We charge the battery for about eight hours, reconnect the battery and it always starts right up. We don't start the car until we are ready to take it out and drive enough miles to circulate e3verything.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
My youngest daughter is nineteen, only too happy to look after the SUV, when we are not home
Now that she's off to University (I had to buy her, a car for herself).
Oh well . Back to the drawing board.
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:57 PM   #8
houseof many dogs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #854
Folks, you need to consider this; new cars with OBD II computers need to re-learn their settings after the battery is disconnected. You can get a float charger and connect it to the battery while the car is in storage and the car will not have to go through the learning process.
houseof many dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:57 PM   #9
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Shelf life on gasoline is two to three months. Highly recommend some sort of stablizer in the gas tank to prevent problems.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:13 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ours in in the garage..we do have a house sitter(friend) who will start it and move it out in to the driveway and back into the garage every once in awhile, Removed most of the insurance, think what is on it now cost 62.00 per year. We have stored trucks the entire winter in Ohio, Mid November to 1st week of March with only a occasional inspection and perhaps running it once or twice a month..with no ill effects...ever.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote