Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2017, 08:14 AM   #1
3LaneHwy

M.O.C. #19715
MoreRyde steps 3820FK

Went camping for first time last week in new 3820 FK. Love the layout! We have 2 doors and MoreRyde steps. The powder coating flaked off the hinges at top of steps and rust is showing through. When the steps are lifted and locked, the screen and doors will not close. The steps are out of alignment and stick out at bottom. It took a Camping World tech and us to push on steps while locked to make them fit into door opening. When arrived home, the steps did the same thing, only we didn't have the muscle of the tech to push them in hard. Is any one else having this problem and if so how was it solved. Thank you!

3LaneHwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #2
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
We have a first year 3820FK and the MoreRyde steps were added to the 2017's as one of 3 or 4 upgrades they made. We did have a small issue with our standard fold out steps and warranty replaced one of them. Sorry not much help here.
Dusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
3LaneHwy

M.O.C. #19715
Thank you! Good news. Keystone reached out to us this morning regarding this.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
kc8lvy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19861
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LaneHwy View Post
Thank you! Good news. Keystone reached out to us this morning regarding this.
Let us know what they say. I haven't had any problems with mine yet. Hopefully they can get your problem fixed.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #5
3LaneHwy

M.O.C. #19715
We hope so too. Not a good way to begin. Will keep you posted.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:49 PM   #6
jjfleck
Established Member

M.O.C. #19826
I have a 2017 3820fk also. my steps close all the way in without touching the screen door. Does it happen on both doors? Sounds to me like the steps need to be removed and remounted before any damage gets done to the screen door. One thing I learned the hard way already is make sure the front door is closed when you work the kitchen slide or the awning.
jjfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:46 AM   #7
3LaneHwy

M.O.C. #19715
It is happening to both doors. We also believe that they need to be remounted to close and lock properly within the door frame. Although the sturdiness of the steps are great, we must give extra work time to cleaning all the debris and rain water from the back of them before closing and placing big thirsty towels down under them in the doorway just in case there is any moisture. We are very careful to close the front door before opening awning or slide. We also noticed that the awning rests on the living room slide. LOL, so much to remember.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 PM   #8
jjfleck
Established Member

M.O.C. #19826
Yes those steps seem to collect quite a bit of dirt after a rain storm. My steps seem to attract a lot of spiders, they like to spin their webs inside the rails. One of my routines before I close them up is to spray the stairs down with bug spray. I had a black widow set up house in my stairs so now I'm completely paranoid and go way overboard cleaning the stairs, LOL!
jjfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #9
joenan
Established Member

M.O.C. #17961
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LaneHwy View Post
Went camping for first time last week in new 3820 FK. Love the layout! We have 2 doors and MoreRyde steps. The powder coating flaked off the hinges at top of steps and rust is showing through. When the steps are lifted and locked, the screen and doors will not close. The steps are out of alignment and stick out at bottom. It took a Camping World tech and us to push on steps while locked to make them fit into door opening. When arrived home, the steps did the same thing, only we didn't have the muscle of the tech to push them in hard. Is any one else having this problem and if so how was it solved. Thank you!
I purchased a 4 step system from MoreRyde last year at Goshen Rally for our 3160RL. Had the same problem you did so I contacted Gary with MoreRyde and he sent me instructions on how to fix it. The paint missing, hard or impossible to close the door indicates the step threshold is bent. With the door open and the steps down does the metal part of the step fit flat against the door threshold? To correct it raise the steps in the stowed position. Lay a 1x2 under the step threshold and lower the steps bending it so that it will lay against the door threshold removing the board and checking your results as you go.
I now wait till the trailer is lever before I put steps down and put the steps up before raising the jacks to load on truck. I put a short piece of 2x4 under the adjustable feet to prevent the feet from digging into the soil which is how mine got bent while raising jacks. Hope this helps
joenan is offline   Reply With Quote