Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #21
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
I have the 30gallon Transfer Flow toolbox/tank combo. I would do it again even at the $1800 price tag. It's transfers automatically. Toolbox is decent sized. I could have opted for the 50gal version since I have a long bed, but it ate up too much space. The range is awesome. I can go 600-700 when towing . I don't usually go that long without stopping for a break, but at least I don't have to worry about fueling every 350 miles. Empty I can go about 1200-1300 miles between fuel ups on highway trips. 900-1000 for mixed normal driving.

It adds a lot of weight to the truck so you can exceed your GVWR hitched up. I'm over the GVWR a little, but under my axle ratings on the TV.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:35 PM   #22
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrd View Post
Hi All,

I've been considering a fuel transfer tank in addition to my factory 34 gallon tank. I was wondering how many people that have a similar size factory tank have opted one way or the other. I'm on the fence considering that I'd have to stop to transfer fuel, so why not just buy some. Lot's of pros and cons either way, cost being one of them.

Thanx - Dean
I had a 77 gallon tank in the back of my truck for 2 years. I hooked into my overflow line on the fill hose. I installed a Fuel primer bulb (like a outboard motor) it was great it just gravity fed into my factory tank. When the fuel gauge began to drop then I knew the auxiliary was empty. I just took it out and sold it. I decided I needed the bed space more then I needed extra fuel. Also added a lot of weight.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #23
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
I use a 90 gl transfer tank with an electric pump on my F350. Figure to have saved $1000+ in the last two years by not having to fuel at truck stops and using Gas Buddy. On travel days, I top off when we stop for lunch. Can look out almost a 1300 mile range with Gas Buddy to find cheapest fuel prices. Never had to buy fuel in CA.
GAinaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:13 PM   #24
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
I am thinking of adding an aux tank & bed mounted diesel generator, this way everything uses the same fuel. Plus having the generator in the bed keeps it quieter & no vibration, just a cord to plug in from truck to camper.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #25
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
I had a 50 gallon transfer flow put in the bed of my short box Chevy. It sits below the rails and on my trip down from WA to AZ I am glad I did. I would unhitch and then go buy fuel if necessary. It was great because I did not have to deal with trying to get the rig in and out of stations. Plus it extends my miles I can travel without worry. So far me one of the better investments I made.
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #26
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
This is not the first time this subject has come up.

There are definite advantages to the extended range between fuel stops having more fuel onboard would give you. ie, not having to plan your trip around a Pilot/Flying J every 200 miles; getting the best fuel price; taking a driving/potty break when ever you want; etc.

In the end though, you are still buying the same amount of fuel. A 1000 mile trip, at 10 mpg, will consume 100 gallons of fuel. Whether you carry all of it at one time, or buy 25 gallons at a time, it is still 100 gallons. The only real difference would be the overall price you pay for that same 100 gallons.

Think about the cost of the aux/transfer tank. Maybe $2000 (depending on volume) with plumbing, accessories and install. How long will it take before it pays for itself ? Lets say you are able to buy fuel where you want at a $.20/gal savings. For your 100 gallon full up, you save $20.00. At that same savings, it would take 100 fill ups, or 10000 gallons, to match your initial $2000 investment. Using the same 10 mpg in the previous paragraph, that is 100,000 miles of travel. Personally, it would take me at least 7 years of driving before that tank would pay for itself.

Another concern is weight. Its not just the added fuel weight, there is also the weight of the tank, plumbing and accessories. When you are not towing, that extra 500 - 700 lbs is not a concern. Add your pin weight and everything else you might carry in your truck while towing and you may have a GVWR problem. Someone stated they were over their GVWR but not their axle rating. They are still over the rating for your truck regardless.

If I were so inclined to carry more fuel, I would go with a factory replacement tank from maybe Titan. The replacement tank weighs less than the stock tank and in my case, going from 39 gallons to 70 gallons, I would gain about 200 lbs. That's a manageable weight. It would still take me 7 years to pay for itself.

Some people don't care about $$$$
Some people don't care about GVWR or Cargo Capacity
Some people just want what they want and that's ok

Just food for thought.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #27
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post

There are definite advantages to the extended range between fuel stops having more fuel onboard would give you. ie, not having to plan your trip around a Pilot/Flying J every 200 miles; getting the best fuel price; taking a driving/potty break when ever you want; etc.

In the end though, you are still buying the same amount of fuel. A 1000 mile trip, at 10 mpg, will consume 100 gallons of fuel. Whether you carry all of it at one time, or buy 25 gallons at a time, it is still 100 gallons. The only real difference would be the overall price you pay for that same 100 gallons.

Think about the cost of the aux/transfer tank. Maybe $2000 (depending on volume) with plumbing, accessories and install. How long will it take before it pays for itself ? Lets say you are able to buy fuel where you want at a $.20/gal savings. For your 100 gallon full up, you save $20.00. At that same savings, it would take 100 fill ups, or 10000 gallons, to match your initial $2000 investment. Using the same 10 mpg in the previous paragraph, that is 100,000 miles of travel. Personally, it would take me at least 7 years of driving before that tank would pay for itself.

Another concern is weight. Its not just the added fuel weight, there is also the weight of the tank, plumbing and accessories. When you are not towing, that extra 500 - 700 lbs is not a concern. Add your pin weight and everything else you might carry in your truck while towing and you may have a GVWR problem. Someone stated they were over their GVWR but not their axle rating. They are still over the rating for your truck regardless.

If I were so inclined to carry more fuel, I would go with a factory replacement tank from maybe Titan. The replacement tank weighs less than the stock tank and in my case, going from 39 gallons to 70 gallons, I would gain about 200 lbs. That's a manageable weight. It would still take me 7 years to pay for itself.

Just food for thought.
When I had mine installed it was not about saving $$, that never entered my mind. It was all about convenience. That for me was huge. But weight and space was the reason I removed it. Never weighed my truck, but I could tell it was to heavy from day one. It's gone now and I stop more often, but I like having more room in the back of my truck.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #28
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Finding a station with diesel isn’t a big deal. Finding a station with diesel AND easy 5th wheel access IS a big deal, and when you do, it usually charges premium prices. Our truck only has a 26 gallon tank; ridiculously small. I added a 17 gallon transfer tank and pump. 43 gallons at 11-13 mpg is about as far as we care to travel in a day, so it works out pretty good for us. By the way, as a DIY project, with careful eBay shopping, I am only into this for about $200.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #29
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post

Just food for thought.
Jerry,

In my mind $ has little to do with this decision. Its about convenience.

I would much rather fuel up without the rig attached.

I hunt in an area where the nearest fuel is over 100 miles. I want to have the ability to get around a week without going 200 miles round trip for more fuel.

If it was all about savings we would never put radios, air conditioning, nav systems or any of the other convenience options in our trucks.

I do agree you can go overboard and add too much with the associated weight and bed space penalties. Thats why I replaced my stock 26 gal tank with a 50 gal Titan.

As a retired sailor, I will always respect the Chief's opinion.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #30
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
Finding a station with diesel isn’t a big deal. Finding a station with diesel AND easy 5th wheel access IS a big deal, and when you do, it usually charges premium prices. Our truck only has a 26 gallon tank; ridiculously small. I added a 17 gallon transfer tank and pump. 43 gallons at 11-13 mpg is about as far as we care to travel in a day, so it works out pretty good for us. By the way, as a DIY project, with careful eBay shopping, I am only into this for about $200.
My stock tank was 29 gallons. But I found out about a modification and I was able to get 40 gallons now. My truck is older then most of yours, but it was called the "HUTCH MOD"
Old 11-05-2018, 02:52 PM   #31
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I paid $650.00 for a 40 gal in bed tank installed. Gravity feed as it in not a transfer tank so no need for a pump. That gives me about 75gals and a deacent range.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:53 AM   #32
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Jerry,

In my mind $ has little to do with this decision.
As a retired sailor, I will always respect the Chief's opinion.
One of the rules for a Chief is
“Don’t spend your own money unless you have to”

Goes into all my decision making

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:08 PM   #33
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
My stock tank is 36 gal on my 2017 GM dually longbed and added a Titan 60 gal transfer tank for hauling the 40’ Montana when traveling.
Don’t want fuel capacity to dictate when I have to make stops.
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:48 PM   #34
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I have a RDS 60 gallon auxiliary tank that is gravity fed. This is the best add on for the truck. I can be more selective as to where i buy diesel.When my fuel gauge moves off of full then i know i have used up my rear tank and am now on the main tank. It's a good feeling not having to constantly look for fuel.I have a dually so there is no weight problem.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:26 AM   #35
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
For me it was being able to stop when I wanted to, not worry about getting stopped on the interstate at an accident when low on fuel, being able to get off the interstate once the rig had been dropped in order to find cheaper fuel. My long bed has a 37 gallon fuel tank so when I went looking, I wasn't going for anything wild as in 95G or so. The Titan to me was only 27G at a price of $1400 so I went with a gravity fed 51G from ATI fro around $600 that allows me to have 88G when full and a great range without having to worry. Now I can get fuel at my leisure instead on planned stops that could be extremely busy points on the road.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:27 AM   #36
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
I have driven from coast to coast. I have a F250 with a 26 gallon tank and never had a fueling problem. I have been to no less than 51 places and some of them twice. I never stop at truck stops. I always fill up just outside of cities because they can be a pain to get around in. Gas buddy is ok but sometimes the fueling station may be a pain to get to. I always start the day with a full tank always. I always start looking for fuel when the meter gets to 100 miles till empty. Thats 2 hours of driving. Like the other guy said adding all the extra weight only hurts fuel millage but i guess thats not the point. $2,000 for a fuel tank isn't the point ether. I guess its about being able to fuel up the truck without the trailer. I must be a damn good driver because getting fuel has never been a problem for me. 30,000 towing miles and counting. All this talk about backing up and parking there trailer yet there seems to be a problem getting fuel? Interesting.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #37
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
I have a RDS 60 gallon auxiliary tank that is gravity fed. This is the best add on for the truck. I can be more selective as to where i buy diesel.When my fuel gauge moves off of full then i know i have used up my rear tank and am now on the main tank. It's a good feeling not having to constantly look for fuel.I have a dually so there is no weight problem.
Be aware that gravity feed is illegal in many states across the country and can be hazardous if you fail to shut off the valve when ever you shut the truck off or open the fuel cap when transfering fuel.
I considered the transfer tank but once I was aware of the safety issues it made my decision to go with the in bed 60 gal auxiliary tank with a 12 volt pump and a fuel controller mounted in the cab.A nice kit by Titan and any worry’s are over.
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:31 AM   #38
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
In line with this conversation - anyone ever used a race car type aluminum (not poly) tank without the safety foam as an aux tank? These are available from about 200 to 500 bucks and 10 to over 30 gallons capacity. Add a fuel transfer system and you have a tank that can easily be filled, removed if needed and takes less truck bed space. I've considered a 15 gallon size just for that time when an easily accessible fuel stop is just too far for my 38 gallon OEM tank
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:16 PM   #39
HITodd

M.O.C. #13730
Send a message via MSN to HITodd
Auxiliary tank

I use the 70 gallon Transfer-Flow tank. I bought the RDS connection for stock fill. It allows me to buy fuel where I have easy access or cheaper prices. When the truck gauge starts moving down, I know it’s time to start looking for fuel. My system is for diesel only. I can go about 1,000 miles on full tanks.
HITodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:27 PM   #40
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
I'm 70 and need to move about to stretch and give the wife and dog a chance to do the same. At the end of the day an extra couple stops to fuel and stretch does not slow us down our day that much.
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote