Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Why a full timer

For many years we have had some sort of RV. We also encounter an occasional full timer but have never asked this question: What do you do the while away the hours, 24/7/365?

I don't question your reasons but just can't imagine myself being cooped up in a 35-40 foot or so 'box' with no work shop full of tools, no big hobbies or even a room to get away from it all.

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:52 PM   #2
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
We fulltime but never run out of things to do......but we camphost which takes about maybe 4 hours a day to pay for our park space with hookups.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Not a full timer, but what do any of us do to spend our time? Don't think it makes that much difference where we live. I don't see living in an RV as trapped in a small box but more like living in the great big outdoors able to have new scenery every few days/weeks/months or years. We are all free people with millions of choices how we live our lives. The world would be pretty boring if we all made the same choices. As I have gotten older I have learned my choices/preferences have evolved over time and the term never should be used sparingly.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:02 PM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We were never bored as full timers. Too much to see, explore, and enjoy. Spend six months each year snowbirding in Florida, far busier than back home in our lake house.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:02 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We've been fulltime for almost 6 years, and sure, I miss having access to my shop full of tools, but the front compartment where the generator could go is my garage, with a pretty good assortment of tools and a supply of hardware for maintenance of the trailer. We never get bored, and only when we get into bad weather do we hide out inside the trailer, but we have satellite for the TV, and plenty of DVD's when there isn't anything worth watching. It's no different than being in a regular home with nothing to do, only when traveling, there is actually more to do and more things to explore.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:39 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
For our first 7 years of full timing we spent the summer at our Kansas home base (hookups for two rigs, guest cabin and art studio for my wife and a full workshop for me.) We use that home base visiting the Grand kids and Great Grand Kids and traveling the East and mid-west. In the winter, we volunteered for Fish and Wildlife all over the country. Now we have a second RV home base in Lakewood, NM, again with an art studio and a workshop and we use that home base to explore the southwest. We never have time to be bored and now on our eighth year of full timing have no reason to quit.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:36 AM   #7
bobandbrenda
Established Member

M.O.C. #19919
Imagine yourself being on vacation 365 days a year. Always new areas to explore and visit. Sure do not miss all those fun home maintenance projects and yard work!!!
bobandbrenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:00 AM   #8
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Part of me understands having space, but as a S&B dweller... for now... If I'm being honest, we "live" in only about 25% of our 2300sqft house. From that perspective, it's not much of a stretch to "down-size" into a 400sqft Fifth wheel. No more grass to mow, driveways to shovel out, no 5k per year in "privilege to live" property taxes, less to maintain. Sounds like a plan to me. I can still tinker with tools, have a hobby, or just zone out in front of the TV if that is what I want.... and have new places to go at my whim. What's not to like about that? Will there be a period of adjustment... sure. If I'm feeling cooped up, I can simply leash up the beagle and take a scenic hike in my "new every few weeks" backyard. If you want the space... have at it, it's your life and you can live any way you want.
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:51 AM   #9
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
I enjoy the freedom associated with fulltiming - either in active travel, planning my next adventure or sitting and knowing I can go at anytime. My interests are pretty much the same as when I lived in S&B - travel, golf, hunting fishing, music concerts and dancing with the ladies :-). Now, I have more time and money because I'm not tied down to a house, land, and all that goes with it.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:20 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our S&B is a 2200 SF tri level in a semi rural area. We are happy with the area we live in. The property taxes are low compared to many parts of the country. The mortgage has been paid off for some time. We spend the winters in warm areas of the country Florida for the past few years. We travel all over the country during the summer months using our S&B as the base. we have a pad full hookups 50 amps on the property. We love this RV and live in it for 6 months of the year in the winter and at least 3 month of the year during the summer months sometimes more.We will be leaving Florida for the S&B in a few weeks and will be glad to get back to our S&B and our summer travels. The Montana's have been our magic carpet since 2006 taking us on great adventures all over the country but the S&B is our true home. Living in this 420 SF RV is not something we would want to do 24/7/365 and in fact chose not to.We are happy to board the RV for a adventure and just as happy to return to the S&B.We truly have the best of both worlds.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:39 PM   #11
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Thanks for the great responses. Unfortunately we are still not there yet nor quite possibly never. We do use our 5er a lot, including at least 6 to 8 weeks on extended trips plus leave the RV at a CG along Lake Champlain, May through August then take one of our extended trips, back for the end of season CG festivities. We'll go home, restock then off for a week or three leaf peeping.

Even in NY State, we live in a fairly low tax oasis, the last house (paid for 15 years ago in a well run town and county on about an acre lot. The S&B at this time is w-a-a-y too big (3700+ sq ft) but we do have at least a few 'invasions' of kids and grand kids, none of which live locally. Will we downsize - hope to in a year or so as that yard and maintenance is getting real old. Neither of us can envision full timing though it has been discussed and decided not for us.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #12
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Our S&B is a 2200 SF tri level in a semi rural area. We are happy with the area we live in. The property taxes are low compared to many parts of the country. The mortgage has been paid off for some time. We spend the winters in warm areas of the country Florida for the past few years. We travel all over the country during the summer months using our S&B as the base. we have a pad full hookups 50 amps on the property. We love this RV and live in it for 6 months of the year in the winter and at least 3 month of the year during the summer months sometimes more.We will be leaving Florida for the S&B in a few weeks and will be glad to get back to our S&B and our summer travels. The Montana's have been our magic carpet since 2006 taking us on great adventures all over the country but the S&B is our true home. Living in this 420 SF RV is not something we would want to do 24/7/365 and in fact chose not to.We are happy to board the RV for a adventure and just as happy to return to the S&B.We truly have the best of both worlds.
This will be us more or less when we retire......
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:14 AM   #13
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
We don't full time but I can pack a pretty big telescope in the rear storage tray in our 3791. Big time hobby is astronomy. Some cg are in some pretty dark country.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:52 AM   #14
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
The time we used to spend cleaning, mulching, mowing, pool upkeep, decorating, etc our S & B we no longer needed is now spent doing whatever we want to do whenever we want to do it and wherever we want to do it! ANY MORE QUESTIONS?

Have been at it going on 8 years and no plans to stop.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #15
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I like Richard's plan. I would love to travel more but this 3 acre yard demands my attention every week. I would have to size way down to be able to go full time. With our daughter and grandson just 1 mile down the street my wife want even think of traveling full time.I think it's good to have a home base that's small and economical as we are all getting older but i guess it's not in my plans to ever go full time. I live within 40 miles of the best medical facilities in the world and as i get older i will probably need them more. I like visiting with full-timers when traveling and hearing about there travels. Makes me a little envious.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:19 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do not have 3 acres.We have a bit over 3/4 acre. We sort of use the barter system with some of our neighbors. One neighbor stores his RV on our property during the winter months another stores his golf cart and another a couple of motorcycles in the garage . They also use the driveway for overflow parking or vehicle storage during the winter. A neighbor uses our "rolling stock" snowblower, garden tractor, rototiller etc as needed as do other neighbors. The return is they keep the driveway clear during the winter, mow the lawn and take care of the landscaping during the summer and keep a eye on the house interior when we are gone. We all do the same for one another so w e are all covered.It has worked well for years. Were there is a will there is a way.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #17
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
What Dave says X2
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #18
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
We are on the road 6 - 8 months a year. A lawn service is here 42 weeks and do everything from cutting to mulch. A daughter keeps up with the mail and is able to write checks if needed. We are home June/July/August and December. Other months ~~ who knows. Full time is not even considered. We need the 3000+ sq ft to regroup in at times.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote