Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #41
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
True story:

Probably 12 years ago, I went to a Carl's Jr. drive-thru and ordered a $6 burger meal. I had a bunch of $20's, one $10 bill, and five $1 bills in my pocket. Since I didn't want nine $1 bills after paying with just the $10 bill, I gave the kid the ten and a one, expecting to get a $5 bill back in change. Simple, right?!

Well, the kid hands me back four ones, so I hand it back to him and say, "No, I want a five dollar bill back". He says that I only get four back, so I told him to check again and he says, nope, you only get four in change. So I ask him how much the meal is and how much money I gave him. He tells me that the meal is $6 and I gave him $11, so I asked him, "If I would have only given you $10, how much change would I get back?" ....deer in the headlights moment, ...does not compute!

So, about this time, the manager comes by to see what is taking so long, because my car is at the window for far longer than whatever the corporate office deems as too long per transaction I suppose. He asks the kid what is going on, and the kid still doesn't have a clue, so the manager asks me what has transpired. I tell him my tale of woe, and the manager tries to explain to the kid why I get five dollars back, ...lots of back and forth talking, head nodding and shaking goes on, and finally the kid hands me back ...five one dollar bills. At this point, I was losing my mind, and said, "Holy crap, kid, I want a five dollar bill!!!". (not my exact words, but the name of a certain religious figure was invoked)

I truly fear for the fate of this country!

On another note:

When I worked at McDonald's when I was in high school, we had a paper ordering pad and a pencil. There was even an impromptu oral math quiz when I interviewed for the job. I seriously doubt that would happen these days, for fear of being sued by some math challenged individual that didn't get the job. :-/

We had to mark down what the customer wanted on the pad, total it up, and count the change back, out loud, into the customers hand starting with the coins and counting up to the amount that they gave us. ...and if your till was even a nickel short at the end of your shift, there was hell to pay!

The money that the customer gave us was never put into the till until the transaction was done, it was laid sideways on the top edge of the drawer, so there would be none of the "I gave you a twenty, not a ten." from the customer, although that was often tried, ...especially when the Romani showed up. They would try every trick in the book to get you to make a mistake and give them more change back than they were due. The worst of which was, in the middle of counting back their change (once they had most of it back), they would want to cancel some ordered items and add others. After a couple of times of that, whenever they came in, I just went and got a manager to take their order.

Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #42
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
I love this country with all its faults...and one of the best things about it is that people can freely criticize and comment. While I think it is a good thing to speak openly even critically I would ask so what are YOU doing to make the item you are being critical of better?
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #43
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we saw that quote several times over the years.Did not believe it the first time we saw it and
still do not believe it now.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #44
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
we saw that quote several times over the years.Did not believe it the first time we saw it and
still do not believe it now.
Rich,

To what quote are you referring?

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:49 PM   #45
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Rich,