Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #21
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Another true change story at Micky Ds:
The wife and I order at the drive thru with a total of $4.67. We get to the window and hand the girl a $5 then say hang on I got the change (my wife had counted it out while we had waited). I hand the girl the change but she had already put $5 on the computer. She literally could not figure out that the with the 5.67 my change back would be a dollar bill. She was going to give me back .33 but I stopped her. She had to call a manager because she was so flustered by then. The manager would not give me a dollar bill either! The manager insisted that I HAD to take my .67 cents back and then take the .33!! She was even so brazen as to say it was "company policy"!!!! At that point, it was all I could do to just let it go but trust me this isn't the first time I have told the story!!

I'm telling ya folks we are headed toward a reality that resembles one of those B rated Sci-Fi movies where humans devolve into idiots and machines do everything for them...

2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #22
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Now that is something I can get with. That makes a whole lot of sense. We have lots of reusable bags in the car, take the loaded cart to the car and bag everything and off we go.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:51 AM   #23
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Watch the movie "Idiocracy" !

Society is evolving such that we never have to deal with each other face to face.

We are doing it right now with these posts.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #24
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Another true change story at Micky Ds:
The wife and I order at the drive thru with a total of $4.67. We get to the window and hand the girl a $5 then say hang on I got the change (my wife had counted it out while we had waited). I hand the girl the change but she had already put $5 on the computer. She literally could not figure out that the with the 5.67 my change back would be a dollar bill. She was going to give me back .33 but I stopped her. She had to call a manager because she was so flustered by then. The manager would not give me a dollar bill either! The manager insisted that I HAD to take my .67 cents back and then take the .33!! She was even so brazen as to say it was "company policy"!!!! At that point, it was all I could do to just let it go but trust me this isn't the first time I have told the story!!

I'm telling ya folks we are headed toward a reality that resembles one of those B rated Sci-Fi movies where humans devolve into idiots and machines do everything for them...
On top of the math thing, most of the young people cannot spell, and their grammar is awful!

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:12 PM   #25
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
On top of the math thing, most of the young people cannot spell, and their grammar is awful!
And they can't read cursive handwriting.
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:35 PM   #26
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Its sometimes easy to bash young folks. They clearly cover the spectrum from capable to in-capable just as people of all ages. Most are pretty capable and better able to function in todays world than a lot of us older folks that don't want to deal with change.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:27 PM   #27
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I have twin grandsons age 15. I told them I was happy to see them working hard for good grades. They looked at each other then one said ~~ you don't have to work hard as every thing is easy so the dumb ones pass.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #28
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pachu View Post
And they can't read cursive handwriting.
They no longer teach cursive writing at the school my grandkids attend! They do however teach typing, I think all the way down to grade school.

I took typing in high school and there was only one other boy in the class. I only took it cause I had a crush on one of the girls in the class. I don't recall the girls name now but I sure am glad I took the class!!!

When I took COBOL and FORTRAN programming in college, we were using key punch machines (sorta like the old time clock cards) to enter data and the results were printed only. No keyboard or monitor screen! I actually watched them make the transition to keyboard and monitor system at the college. That system took up a couple rooms the size of an average living room. Today, my smart phone is more capable than that entire system!

That sort of advancement in technology has and will continue to have unexpected consequences.....
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:48 PM   #29
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Cap, that would be funny if it wasn't for the fact that it's TRUE
You know the thing, "No Child left behind"
Old 01-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #30
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Cap, that would be funny if it wasn't for the fact that it's TRUE
You know the thing, "No Child left behind"
You are correct, it is not funny. We certainly cannot hurt anyone's feelings by failing them so the repeat a class or a grade. What happened to special ed classes where those that needed extra help received it? The people that complain the most about the education system are the ones that make it suck so bad.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:44 AM   #31
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
They no longer teach cursive writing at the school my grandkids attend! They do however teach typing, I think all the way down to grade school.

I took typing in high school and there was only one other boy in the class. I only took it cause I had a crush on one of the girls in the class. I don't recall the girls name now but I sure am glad I took the class!!!

When I took COBOL and FORTRAN programming in college, we were using key punch machines (sorta like the old time clock cards) to enter data
I married the girl I fell in love with in high school typing class. I think it was the tight fitting red waffle pakay dress that made me fall in love!!
When I worked in the hotel maintenance industry, we had a 400# clothes washer that we programmed with a (4x12 inch?) punch card for whatever cycle set we wanted.
Before I recently retired, I spent nearly 40 years eating fast food while doing outside service work. I, over the years began to see the inability of counter help to be able to count change, like others mentioned, especially if handed the exact coinage.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have not seen a counter person or cashier have to count change in a very long time. The registers are mini computers and do the computation for them.Helen is a cashier at Disney world.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #33
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
This reply was a few months ago "Its sometimes easy to bash young folks. They clearly cover the spectrum from capable to in-capable just as people of all ages. Most are pretty capable and better able to function in todays world than a lot of us older folks that don't want to deal with change."

Functioning in todays world is a challenge for both young and old. Granted the younger ones can make the keyboards sing and use new tech in stride. Where their functioning is challenged is hands on maintenance and repair of the basic machinery that allows our world to play out each day. This is getting worse each passing year. They all want to be Chiefs ... few want to be Indians. My old company is in big trouble because they cannot meet rate due to lack of skill of the labor force. I've always been a wrench spinner (Maintenance) Since I've retired, I've received more calls from companies pleading with me to contract out than job offers 35 years ago when I was looking for a good job. I am not bragging here ... the point is we're in trouble with skilled labor to keep our infrastructures humming along and no one seems to have the answer. Just look at the MOC population ... 25 years ago there were way more owners that did it all compared to what seems to be the case today. I'm not intending to bash anyone ... I'm simply pointing out that over the years we've picked what we want to stay competent on and let others (hopefully) prop us up in areas we don't want to mess with ... just like our country as a whole.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dieselguy. You are in general correct. We had a very hard time finding a good diesel guy that actually knew diesel motors. We are also old school hands on in our case electronics.
The kids we worked with at WDW going to school were amazed that I could convert number systems in my head as we did not have computers do do it for us.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #35
summer home
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21038
My bride and I stopped at a fast food place a few years ago... the electrical circuit that ran the registers/computers was out... 5 kids standing behind the 50ish woman at the counter who was taking the orders, calculating tax & change, and telling the kids what to bag for each customer.....
I, of course, had to ask why was she doing it all??? Her reply was "don't go there"
summer home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:36 PM   #36
footz1941
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21057
Arrow

[QUOTE=GLS3950;1084529]Cash is going to be a thing of the past also. Most workers at these places couldn't make change if the register didn't tell them.[/QUOTE

Went into Mickey Ds 3 cheeseburgers $3.25. Gave her a five and before I could tell her I had a quarter she punched in the $5.00 I gave her the quarter and she got a puzzled look and told me she had already punched in the five she then gave a one and 3 quarters and then the extra quarter. I told her no I wanted 2 ones change. She then called the Manager to figure it out. I got stubborn and insisted I get 2 ones. Took almost 5 minutes but got the ones
Rex and Patsy
footz1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:15 PM   #37
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Was she old or young? Seems like a lot of the older folks working in McDonalds are having a tough time coping. No wonder they are putting the self serve machines in so many of their stores.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM   #38
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Was she old or young? Seems like a lot of the older folks working in McDonalds are having a tough time coping. No wonder they are putting the self serve machines in so many of their stores.
McDs is the worst for getting a correct order. We quit stopping at an Arbys in WV but 7 of 9 times we ordered 5 roast beef at the drive through and paid for 5, 6 in the bag. Go figure as most young people cannot.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:13 AM   #39
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
These young people have not known what they are doing for decades.I can not remember when it was not like that.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #40
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
These young people have not known what they are doing for decades.I can not remember when it was not like that.
This was sent to me some time ago, took a while to find it ~~~

ONE
Recently, I went to McDonald's and I saw on the menu that you could have an order of 6, 9 or 12 Chicken McNuggets.
I asked for a half dozen nuggets.
'We don't have half dozen nuggets,' said the teenager at the counter.
'You don't?' I replied.
'We only have six, nine, or twelve,' was the reply.
'So I can't order a half dozen nuggets, but I can order six?'
'That's right.'
So I shook my head and ordered six McNuggets
(Unbelievable but sadly true...)
(Must have been the same one I asked for sweetener and she said they didn't have any, only Splenda and sugar.)
(And they think they are worth $15.00 per hour)

TWO

I was checking out at the local Wal-Mart with just a few items and the lady behind me put her things on the belt close to mine. I picked up one of those dividers that they keep by the cash register and placed it between our things so they wouldn't get mixed. After the girl had scanned all of my items, she picked up the divider, looking it all over for the bar code so she could scan it.
Not finding the bar code, she said to me, 'Do you know how much this is?'
I said to her 'I've changed my mind; I don't think I'll buy that today.'
She said 'OK,' and I paid her for the things and left.
She had no clue to what had just happened.
(But the lady behind me had a big smirk on her face as I left)

THREE

A woman at work was seen putting a credit card into her DVD drive and pulling it out very quickly.
When I inquired as to what she was doing, she said she was shopping on the Internet and they kept
asking for a credit card number, so she was using the ATM thingy.
(Keep shuddering!!)

FOUR

I recently saw a distraught young lady weeping beside her car.
'Do you need some help?' I asked.
She replied, 'I knew I should have replaced the battery to this remote door un-locker. Now I can't get into my car.. Do you think they (pointing to a distant convenience store) would have a battery to fit this?'
Hmm, I don't know. Do you have an alarm, too?' I asked.
'No, just this remote thingy,' she answered, handing it and the car keys to me.
As I took the key and manually unlocked the door, I replied, 'Why don't you drive over there and check about the batteries. It's a long walk....'
PLEASE just lay down before you hurt yourself !!!

FIVE

Several years ago, we had an Intern who was none too swift. One day she was typing and turned to a secretary and said, 'I'm almost out of typing paper. What do I do?' 'Just use paper from the photocopier', the secretary told her. With that, the intern took her last remaining blank piece of paper, put it on the photocopier and proceeded to make five blank copies.
A Brunette, by the way!!

SIX

A mother calls 911 very worried asking the dispatcher if she needs to take her kid to the emergency room, the kid had eaten ants.
The dispatcher tells her to give the kid some Benadryl and he should be fine, the mother says, 'I just gave him some ant killer......'
Dispatcher: 'Rush him in to emergency right now!'
Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid!!!!