Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2014, 07:02 AM   #1
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Attention 3625 (and others) Owners!

On a recent trip, we had the misfortune of hitting some pretty bad roads. Well, to be honest, anywhere in Michigan has pretty bad roads, but I digress. It was on one of these pothole filled highways that our computer chair / ladder became dislodged. Unknown to us, when I opened the slides from the other side of the trailer with the remote, the chair was wedged between the inside wall of the Montana and the wood frame around the slide out. Of course the hydraulic system didn't care, and proceeded to remove the trim and the wood beneath it.

Fortunately, neither the chair nor the wall was hurt, and 20 minutes with an electric drill and wood block to hammer against restored most of the damage. The only real casualty was the carpet, which was torn straight across. I'm hoping my carpet sewing skills and heat tape will fix that.... for the most part.

So, henceforth, the computer chair will be bungeed to the desk to prevent movement of any kind.

You have been warned!!

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:21 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sorry to hear that happened to you. It's something I've always been concerned about and run the big slide out only far enough to squeeze by and check the chair before I run it completely out. You know what will happen the first time I forget to look. Just so you don't think I'm bragging, that (and velcroing the handles shut) started after I tore the door off the cabinet with the kitchen slide.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Had a similar experience with ours last year. The desk chair managed to tip back and block the big living room/dining room slide trim while I opened everything from the outside with the remote. There was this slight pause and then a pop noise, but the slide kept coming out fine. When I got inside, the trim had popped loose on the chair, but nothing was seriously damaged. Nailed & glued everything back together and now I don't leave a chair at the desk and always check inside after opening things just part way.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
We NEVER open our slides without one of us being inside controlling the switch. We never use our remote for the slides.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Our second Montana had an center island in the kitchen, and we added barstools. Forgot to pick up the barstools and door side slide hit the barstools, pushed them against the island and ripped the island out of the floor. Was able to fix, but as indicated above, we now always close up slides watching from the inside as well.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Oh been there done that on our previous rig...only it was our antique banjo in it's case that fell off the back recliners and decided to comfortly position itself between the wall and then slide....the crunch sound is enough to send shivers down the spine. From then on it is all hands on deck watch every little movement of the slides until they are open.
Glad you were able to fix the damage.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

For us it was a wine rack. The trailer was 2 weeks old.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
that is why I will never use the remote and do it from the inside so I can see what is going on, I want to be able to stop it QUICK if anything is stuck in there that I have not seen and that has saved my buns a few times doing it that way
Old 06-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I always open the slides enough to slide past and check chairs and other impediments to the slides. I also always use the remote, while I am inside, so I can move about checking as the slides extend. Pushing the wall switch to extend the slides keeps me from seeing the hidden obstacles.

It took me one chair, a cabinet door, a chopping block on the floor and a bottle of olive oil trying to stop the slides before changing my behaviour. Can you say "slow learner"????

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #10
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
It happens no matter how you do it or how careful you are. DW runs them in/out from inside and watches while I watch from the outside. On this trip we still managed to trap an upper rear/right cabinet door between the slide and the wall. I still don't understand how the slide went completely out, good strong hydros I guess. Pulled slide back in and I couldn't believe it, the door was fine, not a mark on it. Just a little angled piece of trim came off the inside corner of the slide which will be an easy fix. We were so happy with these new doors always staying shut but what we didn't realize was that after several months of use plus the traveling we are doing they have loosened up just enough that we have now went back to Velcro straps to secure them while under way.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #11
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Ask me what happens when the knife holder falls over and the knives fall out or when the lever on the chair is too close to the slide. Now I always squeeze back and watch the slides open while using the remote.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen will turn off all but the main slide on the 3402 and before on the 3400. She slides her skinny butt in so she can see what is going on with the main slide then opens it. Once open she checks all the other slides for obstacles. All of our doors are bungeed so they will not open. Experience is a good teacher.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #13
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Unfortunately with the 3850FL I cannot see the back bedroom slides from the inside as they slide out. Somehow the bedspread kept getting pinched in the wardrobe; in between two pieces of the wardrobe that shouldn't separate! I now flip all the bedding halfway back on the bed before closing up the slides.

We don't have a remote, so I watch the two front lounge slides and the kitchen slide from the panel as I open (and close) them. My husband watches from the outside.
napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:50 PM   #14
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
That Velcro is a lifesaver lol lol we use a lot of it lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:15 AM   #15
egregg57
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15998
Send a message via Yahoo to egregg57
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by napria

Unfortunately with the 3850FL I cannot see the back bedroom slides from the inside as they slide out. Somehow the bedspread kept getting pinched in the wardrobe; in between two pieces of the wardrobe that shouldn't separate! I now flip all the bedding halfway back on the bed before closing up the slides.

We don't have a remote, so I watch the two front lounge slides and the kitchen slide from the panel as I open (and close) them. My husband watches from the outside.
I have had my 3750FL for two days. Opened the slides 2 times. Each time, I open the wardrobe slide, it strips the bed!! I don't get it!! I am going to find out why!! I tell you!!
egregg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:28 AM   #16
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Ours was a lamp, absolutely destroyed. We now do like Rich & Helen and turn off all slides except the dining and then set up consists of opening it just a bit to skinny down to the back and check things out. Our 2015 didn't come with a remote and you know it's probably better that way.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:35 AM   #17
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by egregg57

Quote:

I have had my 3750FL for two days. Opened the slides 2 times. Each time, I open the wardrobe slide, it strips the bed!! I don't get it!! I am going to find out why!! I tell you!!
That's the new automatic bed stripper feature!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:06 AM   #18
egregg57
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15998
Send a message via Yahoo to egregg57
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by egregg57

Quote:

That's the new automatic bed stripper feature!
YES!! I hate it! My first Mod will be to remove that option!!
egregg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:54 AM   #19
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
We work our way in and check our stuff too before we put our slides out. Even when we close them up, we look first. Never thought to look up though and check if the fan blades came loose.... Apparently when we put the slides out it was resting on top of the slide and just hung there a little lower than normal. We never noticed. They make a nice bang when they break.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #20
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
We have learned from a previous 5th wheel we owned. One of the doors we thought were closed but the vibration of opening and closing slide caught the door and we heard that crashing noise. We also tie the doors shut. I will let my 2 buddies that have 3400 's know about tying down the desk chair. It is so heavy you would not think that chair would move. My wife and I work as a team, I watch the outside and she watches the inside. I like the idea of opening part way and go and check around the slide.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote