Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
jmi
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10907
Artic Package - How cold can you go?

Planning a trip for this winter that is going to include a trip across Colorado the end of Feb. Looking at the avg lows I can see 5-10 degrees and highs in the 20s. Has anyone used their Monty in these conditions?

Part of my plan is a stop for skiing in Breckenridge staying at Tiger Run for 3-4 days. Is this practical as long as the temps are above zero?

Thanks in advance ... Jeff

jmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jeff you are going to want to think about that again! It's not just the cold weather but the highways when you drive Colorado in the winter months! If you are planning on setting up the Monte for an extended period, I don't think you would have any problem but just getting there in February might be a problem. There are plenty of posts about working with the temps here in the winter but...... You're going to have to use chains on the TV and possibly have to put them on the Monte also in some of the places across Colorado if you plan on moving around. I would not like to see what would happen to the side and undercarriage of the Monte if a chain breaks on the Monte tires.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I live here and would not traverse the passes at that time of year with the Monty behind me. But that's just me.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Jeff, I lived up near Breck for the better part of my life and made a living at a little higher altitude than Breck and the weather up there can be risky during Feb. I do not recommend that you take the Monty there for fun on the slopes at that time. You may be able to tow it there if the weather happens to be good. But you will have a lot of hassle keeping the rig heated and keeping it from freezing up. It can get pretty windy and this causes the temps to get brutal.
Oh sure there are some RVers that take their rigs there for a winter vacation. But do they really use them or are the winterized?? At my age I will not take mine there in the winter. Part of my attitude comes from working outside during the winters up there and when I found out there were palm trees about 850 miles southwest of there my fate was doomed.
With the above said. The State Hwys, US Hwys, and Interstates are like any other cold climate state. They get plowed and for most of the time they are clear and dry. You do have to watch the weather. Sign into some of the weather cams on the internet and you can get an idea about the roads in about any given area.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:51 AM   #5
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Spent some time in our Montana last year while the outside temps were in the 20s...the heater was on almost constantly. Used a lot of LP gas! Also, the water hose had a habit of freezing up on us...while the notion of winter camping has some appeal, would not want to do it again.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:16 AM   #6
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
I would not recommend towing or camping in Colorado during that time of year. I have been there many times skiing. The weather can change so rapidly and I wouldnt want to get stranded on one of those roads towing a Monty. The lp tanks also empty very fast in those conditions as well as interior moisture problems that can occur.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:37 AM   #7
huntnjim
Established Member

M.O.C. #11823
Jeff,
I am from Colorado and travel through out the state with my work year round. From December to April can be difficult with any type of towing due to ice, snow and high wind. The traffic on our roads going to the ski areas is very conjestred with multi wrecks. If I were you I would leave the Monte in the flat lands during the winter.
huntnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Lets see..Filled the tank in Ohio Oct 15th.It has been in the mid 30's and 40's since then.Filled it again in Tennessee yesterday the 21st. temp set at 70 degrees. 5 full days on one tank and it is not all that cold.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
jmi
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10907
OK, I'm convinced. I had planned to watch the weather and decide based on current conditions. Doesn't sound worth it, thanks for the feedback, it is really good stuff.

Current plans have Las Vegas at Nellis AFB week of 2/20, plan to head the Monty southeast to Albuquerque, on to KC and back to WI. I do not plan to risk bad weather.

Was it just the hose or did you have water lines issues at 20? Geeze, I'd hope things would work better than that. Has any one found a way to cope for a night if it happens?

Is it better to just run off the fresh water tank to avoid the frozen hose issue?

This is the first major roadshow with the Monty. I have 6 weeks AZ, weeks vacation in NV and then homeward bound to WI. I'm gonna hit colder weather somewhere.

Thanks ... Jeff
jmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
Farmhawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9080
I run in the winter for a few days going to a from AZ. The biggest thing I found is to insulate your ceiling vents, you have about 6 sguare feet of ceiling that is only covered with thin plastic. The vent insulators from CW work great. I also only run on the fresh water tanks from home to warm weather, most CG won't let you hook up to water or sewer when the weather is below freezing anyway.
Farmhawk is offline   Reply With Quote