Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sewer solution

I have seen some really inventive and ingenious ways to support sewer hoses. But what if you didn't need to support the dump hose? That is the situation with "Sewer Solution". I don't have to support the hose. As far as I am concerned, Sewer Solution is the neatest, cleanest system for waste management around. I hook it up when I set up and take it down when I leave and never have to deal with it in between. When I am ready to dump I just flip two fresh water valves and then pull the tank slide valve. I get an "empty" reading on my black water level indicator every time. The last time I saw one in an RV shop, it was $89.00. I would spend it again in a heart beat.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Stiles,
Never heard of the Sewer Solution. Can you elaborate?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You can see a picture and get an explanation of how it works at http://www.sewersolution.com/. Some have asked, "How can you get the tank emptied through a 1" ID hose/" The answer is the water jet breaks everything up and serves as a thruster to push all waste matter through the line.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is pretty much the principle the "honey Wagon" uses is it not....Verrry interesting. Did a print screen on the CW add..this requires some thought and homwwork.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
If I hadn't purchased new lines for this season already, I would have tried this out. Maybe next time around - I know Stiles speaks highly of it.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
We also bought a Sewer Solution 2 months ago after researching options. It is absolutely great and works as advertised - kinda like a water powered macerator (sp?). I run mine thru 20' of hose and have had zero problems. The Stinky Slinky is history.

MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Eatonhitch.com has more pictures and explanations also. There price is lower than CW but if you buy it from CW and get the extra hose you will only pay $1 shipping. $130 total.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:17 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've seen this in operation. Works well. However, a macerator works well too, if you have one. We can pump waste 200 ft and 30 ft up.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #9
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
They have something like this at A&S. I picked up the brochure when I dropped off my Monty for work. Sounds interesting.

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #10
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Stiles, that looks like a winner. I think I'll get one.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:11 PM   #11
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
I found Sewer Solution's website to be particularly uninformative. Got more info from the Eaton Hitch website (thanks Sue) but still somewhat unclear about this product. Can those who have used it describe a bit more about how it works and how it is better and/or different from a macerator?

For example, can it be used to flush out the black tank in Montanas, or is that claimed benefit only possible in other rigs? Do you have to use their expensive extension hose kit or will hoses from Lowe's or Home Depot do the trick? What do you do when you get to a campground where (like in Goshen last fall) you need 30 feet of hose--pay another $22 for a third 10' section of hose? I saw some suggestion about using a 10' piece of 1" PVC pipe, but no explanation of how you would hook that up to these vinyl hoses. And where do you store a 10' length of PVC pipe in the Montana?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #12
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good questions, Dave. First, I know nothing about a macerator. Second, I have only used the original hose that came with my unit, never had reason for the extention. Montanas (or at lease my Big Sky) have a black tank washing system built into the tank.

The way my discharge point is placed is down stream and around a bend from the tank, so I don't use the valve position flushing back up the tube except to do a final cleaning of the waste discharge pipe. I wouldn't know where to store 10' of PVC either. I wouldn't use just any hose on this. When you see it, you will see it is significantly better quality than normal garden water hose.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #13
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Stiles--thanks for the reply. I didn't think it would work for flushing the black tank--but wanted to make sure I understood what it could and couldn't do.

I also noted that some reviewers on the CW site indicated that with the Sewer Solution they left their grey water tank valve open when in a campground. After hearing about Rich's problem when he left the galley tank open, I decided that was something I wouldn't do. I don't understand how the Sewer Solution would allow one to keep the grey water valve open without causing problems. Anyone have that answer?
Old 03-24-2007, 04:28 PM   #14
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Not to go off topic here, but I have to answer Davids question...

The only time I would leave a waste valve open would be for successive showers (and that's the only valve and the only time). With the drain valves open and no activity, there's more than a good chance debris will settle in the tank(s) and lines only to attach to the inside surfaces.
The solution is to keep these surfaces wet and drain when the tank(s) have enough for a forceful push to clear the lines out (2/3 or better).
Old 03-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #15
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Here is the link that was mentioned earlier. This looks like a good thing to invest in.
http://www.eatonhitch.com/index.php?...oducts_id=5218
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:56 PM   #16
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
And the same at another online store and they have the extra hoses:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...r-solution.htm
Old 03-25-2007, 03:37 AM   #17
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Quote:
quote:[i]I don't understand how the Sewer Solution would allow one to keep the grey water valve open without causing problems. Anyone have that answer?
David,

The Sewer Solution is basically a cap on the existing discharge that reduces in size to a 3/4" hose. In essence, it is always an open connection to the park's septic system and it will let you constantly drain your grey tanks, if desired, without problem. We leave our bath grey tank valve open, but keep the galley valve closed until almost full - in addition, we have a Splendide washer/dryer that requires an open connection (it drains direct to the main line and doesn't use any of the Monty's tanks). In two months of use we have had zero problems.

Mike
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:19 AM   #18
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Mike--thanks for the info--and glad to hear that that 3/4" hose can handle the water volume from the washing machine. By the way, did you buy one of the extra 10" hoses? And how would you handle one of those situations where, like at Goshen, you need to reach 30' to the sewer drain connection?

Another question occurred to me that I hope someone can answer about this device. In order to power the device, you obvoiusly need a "grey" water hose from the CG water supply in addition to the hose they supply that goes from the device to the sewer drain. If you are going to use the black tank flush system at the same time, does that mean you need a second grey water hose coming from the CG hookup? Is there any way to use that coiled up OEM "external shower" hose and hook it up to the black tank flush connection? Or would it make sense to temporarily disconnect the drinking water hose from it's hookup to the rig and hook it up to the black tank flush (although personally I don't like the idea of that hose touching the black tank system).
Old 03-25-2007, 05:18 AM   #19
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just to follow-up on David and JoAnna:

Many of the public campgrounds do not have sewer at site so one must use the dump station. Very few of those have "screw-on" hoses. I suppose that is intentional--for sure it is true. In those situations one would have to have the traditional 4" sewer hose, would one not?

We often prefer state parks for their scenic superiority so we often encounter this situation.

Just an additional comment.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:47 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I am reading all this with interest and am contemplating a purchase. But I have a question. Has anyone used this with a washer/dryer? I wonder if that small hose can handle the volume of water when the washer drains? Ours drains directly to the dump pipe, not into a tank.

Someone asked how to connect to the pvc pipe. CW says in the writeup the SS comes with a pvc adapter. I would think you could use shorter sections of pvc pipe with couplers to join them. I'd probably get maybe 2 or 3 eight foot sections. Those I could easily store in the basement.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote