Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Toilet Paper

OK, so its not a snazzy subject. But it is a needed item. I remember reading in here that some of the members were using off the shelf toilet paper and not the RV single wt toilet paper in their Montanas. Could one of you full timers tell me what brand and what weight (single or 2 ply)to buy so i don't stop up the ole toilet.

ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Angelsoft is one of the more common brands. You can test your own by putting a sheet in a jar of water and shaking it up. It should fall apart with a few seconds of vigourous shaking.

I think that for most people, RV toilet paper is a big "rip-off" (if you will pardon the pun).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
Tincup703
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6385
ANY toilet paper marked "Septic System Safe" (or words to theat effect) is OK to use.

tc
Tincup703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
jrlepin
Established Member

M.O.C. #5916
We have used Anglesoft or Quilted Northern in our RV's for many years with no problems. (We have many cases that we got free when we worked for the company that makes the stuff!)I always put 5 gallons of water in the black water tank after flushing it and don't spare the water when flushing the toilet.

Jim
jrlepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ken, Jim has the correct answer "don't spare the water". That is the clue to not stopping things up. We use 2 ply Charmin (it is septic safe). However, we just returned from staying a week at the Napa Marriott (conference). They had Kleenex Cottonelle 2 ply and the wrapper said septic safe. I like it better than Charmin. I have allergies so I have to be careful what I use as where the paper touches is not a good place for hives!
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:03 PM   #6
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
We have used Scotts in all our days of RV'ng when we had our Class A and when we got our 5ver. Use plenty of water and we have yet to stop one up.
Remember the paperwork is very important.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:50 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

We have used Scotts in all our days of RV'ng when we had our Class A and when we got our 5ver. Use plenty of water and we have yet to stop one up.
Same as Phill & Gladys in this rig. We have been full timing over three years and in all of those 3+ years we have been using Scott single ply without so much as a hint of problems.
Our use of Scott goes back to our days when we owned a motel. The motel was on 2 - 1000 gallon septic tanks. Believe me when I say you don't want any sewer problems in a motel full of guests.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:08 AM   #8
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Scotts and lots of water and a good flushing at least once a month.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:22 AM   #9
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Costco brand 2 ply is great. No problems.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:46 AM   #10
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142

For Scott tissue
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #11
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Thank you for bringing up this important issue. I have been wondering about this for some time but didn't want ot be the one to ask the question.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:20 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Scotts 1000 sheet. It's the only TP (other than the expensive camping stuff) that actually says right on the back the it is safe for septic AND RV SYSTEMS. Like I said, no other major brand makes that claim...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #13
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Yes Yes on the Scotts we have been using it for 3 years with no problem.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:32 PM   #14
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

Same as Phill & Gladys in this rig. We have been full timing over three years and in all of those 3+ years we have been using Scott single ply without so much as a hint of problems.
Our use of Scott goes back to our days when we owned a motel. The motel was on 2 - 1000 gallon septic tanks. Believe me when I say you don't want any sewer problems in a motel full of guests.
Glen, now I know why you and Lorraine are fultimers.
You know all about the "motel rooms".
You've had enough "guests". HA HA

Business owners can pass on a "ton" of real life experiences since many have never been on the other side of the counter. Now if people would just "listen".
I hope you enjoy my humor,
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:08 PM   #15
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Another vote for Scott's.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:53 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have used off the shelf "septic safe" paper for years and years. The key is the shake test where you put a sheet of the paper in a jar of water and shake it to make sure it disintegrates.

We used to use Quilted Northern. It met the shake test.

But let me caution you to be sure to do the shake test. When we switched to the "septic safe" Charmin (standard paper) a few months ago I did not bother with the test. The past couple of days we've had serious splash back from our black tank. Flush and the flush water splashes up onto the seat. I poured water down the vent in case the vent was plugged. No good. Then I did the shake test on the paper and found out Charmin's standard septic safe paper does NOT disintegrate. So we were building the dreaded triangle of paper. Yesterday, I ran out and bought some tissue digester and it seems to be solving the problem.

You can believe whenever we switch paper I will do that shake test before we use the paper.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:55 AM   #17
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Another vote for the Scott's and LOTS of water. We became believers when we had a very nasty event in a Canadian cottage where guests had been using the dreaded "other brand" and the septic system was not happy. Suggestions to use the "shake and wait" test are really sensible.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:45 AM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
As Steve R. says, anything that meets the "shake" test will work. We use Angel Soft because it meets the test, and....we both like it!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:47 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The tissue digester solved the problem. I saw lots of paper exiting the dump pipe today (clear elbow connector). We got rid of the standard Charmin and are trying another brand. It disintegrates but it takes more shaking than I am comfortable with. We'll go back to Quilted Northern. It disintegrates very quickly. Angel Soft is good, too, but I can't remember how quickly it disintegrated.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You dodged the bullet on that one, Steve.
I forgot and left my tank valve open one time, I was afraid that I would have problems, but I filled the tank with the cleaning do dad, and held my foot on the flush lever, filled the tank, flushed twice. I think that did it.
The clear 90 ells are really good to have.
I have a neighbor with the water hose method of discharging into a small drain for the black (well, all tanks) he's got more nerve than I. Murphy's law would prevent me from switching from the 4" to the small hose.
He has it looped around all over the ground, not a straight run. (good luck, neighbor)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote