Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2006, 02:26 PM   #21
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
My old TT manual said LT or ST tires were okay for trailers. The purpose for making the STs was that they needed a tire for small trailers, and none of the LTs were small enough for the smaller TTs.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:55 PM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Brad, I believe the Mission tires Keystone now puts on the Montana are ST tires. Or, the last ones I checked at our dealer's had ST tires.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:02 PM   #23
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Thats correct Steve, our '06 3000RK came with ST235/80R16 Mission tires.

Lonnie
2006 Montana 3000RK, Reciever Hitch for Boat and Toy Trailer
2003 F250 CC PSD, LB, 6 Speed Manual Trans., 4X4, Air Suspension, Husky 15K Hitch
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:11 PM   #24
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Well - so much for the theory that ST tires are for small trailers. I'm totally confused. In '03, the 2955RL came standard with steel 15" 6 lug wheels and load range D tires. As an option, which we got, the axle weight was upgraded and you got 16" 6 lug wheels with Load Range E tires, but they were LT. We also got the alloy option.

My new ones are Tow Master Hiway Troopers LT235/85R16 that say "specially designed radial for trailer application" Load Range G.

By the way, I went to the storage lot to drop the pressure, and they were already at 80psi. I guess the tire shop only mentioned they had a maximum operating pressure of 120 psi at maximum load, but he went with the 80psi. The tag just says inflate to vehicle recommended inflation pressure.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:49 AM   #25
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
On our 2005 2955RL we upgraded to load range G tires at 110psi. Needed new wheels that were rated at 110psi also. It is just an extra margin of comfort for me, not to increase load capacity.
These tires are designed for heavy trailering, they run reall cool too. Unique tread helps keep it that way.

Bob and Nancy Kassl a.k.a. Buck and Muffin
2005.5 2955RL Montana Spruce Interior
2004.5 Chevy LT 2500HD D/A CC SB Dark Metallic Green
Bilstein Shocks/Timbrens SES /Westin Platnium Pipes
Reflex Bed Liner/Access Cover
Major MSC USAR Retired

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:34 AM   #26
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bob,
What brand of tires/wheels did you go with? Are your wheels 6 or 8 lug?

Brad & Dory
Old 08-24-2006, 04:56 AM   #27
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Our 2004 2955RL still has it's original LT235/85R16 E Tacoma tires on 6 lug white steel wheels. The tires are showing some signs of wear but that's to be expected as they have quite a few miles on them. Due to aging and not wear I'll probably change them over in the next year or so.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0

Click on either of the above for a larger image
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:43 AM   #28
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Mine are 8 hole wheels. I love these tires!

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/g614rst.html

These should be put on a wheel that is rated for 110, your stock rims are NOT.

Let me know what you think!

Happy Camping

Bob and Nancy Kassl a.k.a. Buck and Muffin
Major MSC USAR Retired

Old 08-24-2006, 12:40 PM   #29
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Bob,
They look to be the same size and specs as my Hiway Troopers. Unfortunately the greatest pressure wheel I can get for my 6-lug is 90psi. I've got to buy new wheels anyway, as I just found out they are only rated 2200 lbs., but I would like to check out swapping hubs to an 8-lug. Going to take some research through AL-KO Axles, but possibly it can be done. If not, I did find some wheels that are rated 3,100lbs@90psi and will work on my existing hubs. Better than what I have, and I would just have to watch the pressure.

Brad
Old 08-24-2006, 01:00 PM   #30
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Yes Bob, they are good tires, but pretty expensive. I sell them for 268.00 mounted and balanced. Are they any cheaper in your area?

Lonnie
2003 F250 CC PSD, LB, 6 Speed Manual Trans., 4X4, Air Suspension, Husky 15K Hitch
Old 08-24-2006, 01:25 PM   #31
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Lonnie,
You had mentioned changing the hub to 8 lug - have you heard of anyone doing this?

$252 mounted and balanced on mine.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:01 PM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Those of you running LR G tires inflated to 110-120 psi, how is the ride? Doesn't the higher psi translate to a harsher ride and more movement of the trailer contents? Or is my logic faulty?

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:48 PM   #33
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Brad, I don't know of anyone going to heavier hubs on these particular axles, I don't know if it's even an option with these. I have done it with other axles on livestock trailers, went from 5 to 6 lug. A machine shop here in my hometown got the hubs for me. I suppose you could contact a Montana dealer to find out if there are 8 lug hubs available for your axles. They may have to contact Keystone or Dexter but surely they can get an answer for you. If there is a good machine shop in your area, or a trailer manufacturer, try them. I'm assuming the axles are rated for the weight of your trailer, I can't imagine Keystone installing axles that weren't heavy enough.

Lonnie
Old 08-25-2006, 03:12 AM   #34
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Lonnie,
I won't spend too much time on it, but I would like to check it out. Mine are actually Al-Ko axles. If I have the right spindles, they do show a 6 or 8 lug hub assembly that fits it.

If nothing else I'll replace my wheels and then leave it alone. I found a few 6-lug wheels rated for 3100 lbs@90 psi in both steel and alloy (one was allied). I got some help with the load index on the load range G tires, and I should be fine running at 80 psi given the actual load of the Montana.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:18 PM   #35
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Steve,
On your earlier question on the ride - I guess I couldn't answer that fairly, as I found mine were only inflated to 80psi.

Brad
Old 08-26-2006, 12:51 AM   #36
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Those of you running LR G tires inflated to 110-120 psi, how is the ride? Doesn't the higher psi translate to a harsher ride and more movement of the trailer contents? Or is my logic faulty?
Your logic is dead on Steve.
It stands to reason, the higher the pressure the harsher the ride. The air pressure has to be adjusted to the load and if those running these higher pressure tires have their rig weighed and the air pressure set according to the actual load in all probability they will not have anything near 120# of pressure. By over inflating they will soon discover that their expensive 14 ply 120psi tires are wearing right down the middle of the tread and everything in the trailer and the trailer itself is getting beat up.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:36 AM   #37
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
There is logic then there are specs. The ride is no different than the OE tires and pressure. Also for the record things are not flying around the inside of my trailer either. When the manufacturer states a specific cold inflation pressure like 110 psi that means that the the tire performs all of it tested and certified functions with that pressure. The main cause of blow outs, is excess heat. Excess heat is generated by under inflated tires and that is a known fact.

This thread was designed for informational purposes, maybe not the most appropriate venue for unfounded and sarcastic comments from some senior members of this board.

Bob and Nancy Kass a.k.a. Buck and Muffin
Major MSC USAR Retired

Old 08-26-2006, 04:43 AM   #38
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Well....I gots what I gots. Both my TV and RV may ride as rough as Fred Flinstones car, but thats what I gots. Now if I can just get the weels and tires to stay on the RV, I can start worrying about other things like my tank gauges .

In pursuit of getting wheels that at least meet the factory specifications, I came across this HiSpec Wheel and Tire (HWT) right in the middle of Elkhart, In. http://www.hwtinc.com/index.html . Most likely they provide some of the RV manufacturer wheels.

I noticed that ALL of the 6 lug wheels are rated at >3,000lbs @ 80psi, and ALL of the 8 lug wheels are rated at >3,800psi @ 110psi. Given the high pressure rating of the 8 lug wheels, and the fact that Greenball, Goodyear, and Goodrich all introduced the Load Range G radial trailer service tires in the last 2 years, this higher pressure concept must not be as unusual as I thought originally. There must be some demand, possibly even from the manufacturer.

Brad
Old 08-26-2006, 06:44 AM   #39
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Purely in the interest of information regarding this thread:

There is some merit to what you are saying Glen, however your statement on overinflation may be a little harsh. I just had a lengthy conversation yesterday with my tire manufacturer to resolve my own issue. He produced a load index chart for my tires that takes the tire pressures required for a full range of loads. The maximum tire pressure/maximum load rating stamped on the tire is just that - maximum. The tire is designed to operate at a range of presssures directly related to the load it is carrying. Overheating only occurs when the actual pressure is below the indexed pressure required for that load and not necessarily running the pressure below the maximum rating. I also questioned whether running the tires at maximum pressure without the maximum load would cause excessive wear, and according to the manufacturer - no. He said the tires are designed to perform up to the maximum rating regardless of the load. Underinflation is the primary cause of excessive wear and failure. He used the tow vehicle as an example - Load range E tires inflated at 80 psi (maximum rated) with no load in the back the majority of the time. No real impact to tread wear.

I think everyone is OK on this topic. I can run my tires at the pressure required for my load providing I don't exceed the wheel rating. Bob can take full advantage of his maximum pressure rating given his higher rated wheels, and should see a little better performance and fuel mileage. There may be a slight change in the ride, but I believe suspension and shocks contribute much more to that than tire pressure.

Just passing on what I learned - nothing more.