Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2006, 09:56 AM   #1
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Radio Antenna ?

I have a 2005 Mountaineer 326FKDS TT and don't see a radio antenna.
My other TT has a mast antenna just like a car.
The radio signal seems weak and I can't get behind the radio easily to see if an antenna is connected.
Does Montana add the antenna with their trailers from the factory ?
If so what does it look like?

G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:20 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You radio antenna for the AM side should be coiled up behind the radio. Yes you will have to pull the radio out, uncoil it and run it along the back of the cabinet. As far as the FM side you will have to see if they have a place for the bow tie.
I hope this helps. Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:03 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was also shocked,,,then not so shocked that Keystone would not put a antenna on a camper..probably saved @ 1.00 per camper and the dollars add up.Look at it this way..Chances are the radio won't work very well anyway.You can install a good marine antenna on the roof whe you install the better radio.. Such is life...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
As per the Montana coax wiring diagram recently posted on one of the other threads, Keystone intends that the TV antenna be used as the FM antenna. We have typically been able to obtain sufficient FM reception at most of the places we have been - but then again, we most often have the antenna up also. The next time out - if I remember - I'll see if the reception changes when the TV antenna is down.

As far a radio antennas are concerned, I used to care that it always managed to get bent out of shape. After a dozen or so trips to the roof to fix it up, I said to h--- with it.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 05:29 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well that will sort of work FM radio is 88 to 108 MH and tv Channels 2-13 are 55.25 to 211.25 so the Tv antenna will do the job although it is best to have the antenna cut to the proper length of the frequiencies.. You can cut one or buy a wire antenna and duct tape it to your roof for better FM reception//Who listens to AM radio???
Old 03-18-2006, 05:41 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
When we installed the new sourround system (Sony) we found the FM hookup on the old Quest system was hooked to a coaxial so we did the same for the new unit. FM works great. Our new unit has a special AM antenna that we pull out and stretch up over the slide facing (on the inside) when listening to AM. If we are in an area that doesn't give good reception Ed uses a portable boom box or goes and sits in the truck to listen to some of his favorite talk shows. We also have a Bose radio/CD player that we often take along to use outside. It gets really good reception.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:53 AM   #7
billaero1
Established Member

M.O.C. #104
Try XM radio! All that you could possibly want to hear and more. No more searching for a good signal. Hank's Place forever.
Happy listening.
billaero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
XM is too expensive for my blood just to listen to the radio. We did not subsribe although I notice we still get a couple of the stations. It was included (for 3 months) with our 2006 GMC.
Happy trails...............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I don't think I have ever seen a fiberglass 5th wheel or travel trailer with a out side radio antenna.
You need a steel ground plane for those kind of antennas to work, Like a car, truck, bus Etc...
I guess you might be able to run a copper wire around your unit and grounding it to the grounding side
of the antenna, it might work, not sure. But AM radio is pretty hard to get any kind of quality out of
a fiberglass RV. But I've haven't had much luck in any of my past fiberglass 5th Wheels.
J & D.
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:28 AM   #10
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JH Sechelt

I don't think I have ever seen a fiberglass 5th wheel or travel trailer with a out side radio antenna.
J & D.
For general knowledge)
My 2001 Mobile Scout came from the factory with a 12 Volt radio/stereo CD player and a car type radio antenna (adjustable / flexible mast type)

I did finally get behind my stereo in the Mountaineer and spread the antenna wires out for what it is worth.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:03 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our 96 Terry TT had the antenna one the roof(marine I assume ) and reception was Ok Am & FM. We have one of those " T" type FM antennas stuck on the wall down in the family room, Works fine, very inexpensive.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:12 AM   #12
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by G McCall

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JH Sechelt

J & D.
For general knowledge)
My 2001 Mobile Scout came from the factory with a 12 Volt radio/stereo CD player and a car type radio antenna (adjustable / flexible mast type). The Mobile Scout had fiberglass caps, but the Antenna is probably in the Aluminum Top.

I did finally get behind my stereo in the Mountaineer and spread the antenna wires out for what it is worth.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:09 AM   #13
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
You will be dissapointed with the AM reception as all of us are. The antenna is a coiled up wire that doesn't work very well even when it is pulled up and out.

I use a boombox for AM radio and it works 100% better than the RV unit. Seems like Keystone could do alot better.

dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:01 PM   #14
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
G McCall,

Aluminum Roof would make a ok ground plane, but the rubber roof does nothing.
We took our quest unit out after 2nd trip out and replaced it with a Samsung,
It works much better but I usually have to move the Portable antenna closer to the window and move it around a little.
we also have a boombox with us and it works great for AM Radio.

J & D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote