Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Missing stabilizer crank - "more power" solution

When we got our new-to-us Monty home we discovered that we had overlooked something important in the checklist: the crank we found was for the landing jacks, not the rear stabilizers!

I decided to channel Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor.

Rather than spend $20 or so on a replacement crank, I decided to use this which will wind the stabilizers up or down in under 4 seconds and with no effort on my part!

The Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Arr, arr, arr... I like it!
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That is what I used until we got the new rig with the electric stabilizers. I originally used a cheapo Black and Decker until it burned up (literally started rolling smoke out of the windings), then used a Ryobi 18V with no problems. The remote and electric really takes all the work out of it, only have to bend over to put pads beneath the jacks!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
I should say that it is NOT a cordless drill. It is an impact driver! Lots of torque.

Although I do envy your electric levelers, Bingo. Someday ...

Heck, I wasn't expecting to own a 5er as nice as this for another 10 years! So I guess I have no cause for complaint.

And when all is done, I will have only paid about $2,700 for both the truck and trailer. (Now I'm waiting for someone to ask how I did that! )
Old 05-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Since I am known to have a nose problem Bill let me be the first!!!LOL Sounds like you made a great deal.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:09 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Bobby asked, so I don't have to now.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:47 AM   #7
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
There was a lot of wheeling and dealing and patience required to make it happen.

First, we don't owe any money on any vehicle we own. In fact, the last few purchases prior to this (including the Class C we used to own) were paid in cash.

Two years ago we bought the Class C used for a good price. When we decided that a 5er would be a better match for our use we figured out that if we worked at it we could sell the Class C, our almost 9-year old Ford Expedition and my Honda S2000 and get enough for them to buy a tow vehicle, 5th wheel and a commuter car, all used. If we were lucky. And if carefully chose what to buy.

We actually managed to sell the Class C for only $100 less than we paid for it 2 years earlier! In that 2 years we had put on 10,000 miles and the only expenses were oil changes and replacing the coach battery. It didn't owe us anything!

Next we found one heck of a deal on our tow vehicle (see my sig). Actually it was my DW who found hte truck after I drove her crazy for weeks searching all over the internet. We were out the door for under $10k before trade-in, but it needed a little work. And the dealer offered us a trade-in value on our SUV that was so close to what I hoped to get for it privately that it wasn't worth trying to sell it myself.

We got the truck into a good diesel mechanic and spent $2200 on making it right. Even after the repairs we are still $4,000 less than the KBB value. With such a great deal on the truck we could look for an even better trailer than we had planned on!

Right after we found the truck we saw an internet ad for the Monty we bought. It had just been reduced from $28.9k to $22.9k. I called and asked if the price was firm or if there was room for negotiation (it never hurts to ask). I heard papers rustling then was told they could let it go for $20,300! I said I'd be there Saturday morning (I work during the week and the dealer was more than 2 hours away).

The effort to sell the Class C and the search for the truck and trailer started in January and took almost 4 months.

I still haven't sold the S2000 so at this point I am out of pocket more than I said, but I know what they are going for and, just like the truck and trailer search, I just have to be patient. When it sells I'll be looking for a used Ford Focus SVT for around $5500 and the rest will go into our savings account to balance the money we temporarily "borrowed" from ourselves.

In the end, essentially only the $2,200 in truck repairs (more than I expected but still a good value) exceeded our goal of swapping assets to be cash neutral. In all my calculations I've even factored in tax, tag, registration and dealer costs.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:53 AM   #8
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
After over 30 years of cranking on all kinds of jacks and leveling gear, using wood blocks, checking sight levels, watching bubble levels for right to left level I am now happy to say our new Montana has the Lippet 6 point leveling system. Large pads on the hydraulic rams, just push a couple of buttons and zip, zip its done.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:07 AM   #9
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Frank, at this stage I can only dream of a Lippert system. But someday ...
Old 05-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Bill the best part is you have a 7.3 and they are great engines very dependable. JMHO. BTW I had a uncle named Bill Flowers.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:02 AM   #11
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scductman

Bill the best part is you have a 7.3 and they are great engines very dependable. JMHO. BTW I had a uncle named Bill Flowers.
Bobby
Nephew! I'd wondered where you were.

I figure this truck will probably last me until I retire (I just turned 54) and is likely the 2nd last truck I'll own. Ditto for the trailer, for that matter. I just need to verify that I'm getting the fuel economy I should and, if not, get that corrected. Other than that I'm very pleased with it.