Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2010, 05:12 AM   #1
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Using Nitrogen in tires

We have the Montana Big Sky 340 RLQ Two more blow outs yesterday with the Carlisle F rated tires. On Monday we will have the Goodyear G614 installed in Billings, Mt. They fill the tires with nitrogen instead of air. Has anyone used nitrogen in their tires?

Bill

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:35 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Yes. I have it in the truck and camper tires. They don't loose pressure like air filled. They will however, fluctuate in pressure with temp. changes, like air filled tires do. But they return to the same pressure when you get to the original temp.
I travel when it is below freezing and over 100 so I have to add air and let it out depending on significant temp. changes. SO, I somewhat compromise my nitrogen fill. But I still don't have to add ad much air with my little compressor as I did.
Sorry for rambling.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Our Monty when new came suposedly with nitrogen in the tires; when we removed the "Made In China Goodyears" we used the good old atmosphere to fill the tires. Air is composed of 78% nirogen so what one gains by going to 100% is very little. It came in as a fad and the push is a lot less now. If you do have nitrogen in you tires and need to top up, do all tire places have the equipment? Quite unlikely; or if you are low and top up on your own your back to good ole air! IMHO.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
There are no tangible benefits of filling your tires with nitrogen IMHO.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Years ago nitrogen in off road motorcycles was the rage for preload in the forks. Some paid for nitrogen and some/most just used air. The only difference it made was probably in their heads. The believers felt their bikes handled better but they really couldn't prove it. They still beat the same riders and were beat by the same riders. It was all just a matter of desire and skill.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:12 AM   #6
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Bill if you travel a lot above 20,000 feet like airplanes or you drive over 150 mph like race cars then I can see using Nitrogen in your tires. If the previous two examples it is needed but at our speeds and having to replace tires every 5 or 6 years due to aging I don't really see the advantage unless it is free.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks for the info. I think I will stay with air.
Bill
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Maybe they could fill them with nitrous oxide. That way if you had a blow out, you could at least laugh about it...
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I would be interested in Lonnie's opinion, if he sees this thread.

I've read about nitrogen in tires for years but there were too many unanswered questions for me to be comfortable with going that route. For one, what about topping off the tires (as noted above). Second, if I have a flat, will the repair facility be able to fill with nitrogen? How much more is this going to cost? What's the real benefit/cost picture?

Helen and Bill, I'm sorry to hear about the blowout problems but I can sure relate to that. Like you, we went with the G614's last April. We've towed around 1,000 miles since then. Not very far, really, but so far, so good. I was previously getting to the point where I constantly worried about yet another blowout. Now I'm beginning to relax a bit although I still check tires religiously.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:
quote:By sreigle

I would be interested in Lonnie's opinion, if he sees this thread.
Nitrogen does have it's benefits. The most important one being it isn't affected by ambient temperature. This means your TPMS indicator isn't saying you have a low tire when the cold weather is actually the culprit. It also means your tire pressures will remain constant as the temperature of the highway and your tires increases.

Is it worth the extra cost? That's up to you.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote