Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
This Linksys router lasted almost 13 months

As amazing as it seems I finally got a linksys router to last more than 5 months. This one died today. I am hard wired at the moment, goin to visit Officemax tomorrow. Every router I have bought in the last 5 years has been a POS but at least this one lasted 13 months. I really hate it when they start to go. They start by dropping offline for no apparent reason, I reset and all is fine then a few days later the same thing. This goes on till one day there is no further reset. No mater what I do it does not connect even with a full router reset back to factory default settings. The 3 lb mall didn't even help although it sure felt good..

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Exnavydiver,

I have had problems from time to time with my Linksys router doing the same thing until I finally got mad and found my firmware level was a bit dated. Even brand new the firmware level was over a year old. Try downloading an updated firmware level for your model and version router - make sure you get the correct router model version update. Some models have multiple versions so you need to verify. Check the bottom of the router for the correct version number then download the update for that version and apply to your router. I haven't had a problem since I updated mine.

Hope this helps.

Tom
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:29 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Dave,
I'll sell you my Lynksys WRT-54GS. It's been working for 4 years.

Remember to hold you mouth a different way when operating on the computer.

There is a built in camera on all computers. To see if you have the right expression, try this:

New Technology

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:52 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Folks, I think Wayne broke the camera. It seems to have his picture stuck in it!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Damn, it looks like I need a shave!!! My chin is starting to look like my grand dad's. Anyway I just picked up a new WRT54G2 Linksys router. This one has no antennas but has way better range than the old one. It was way easier to setup and even the WPA2 was a real cake walk to setup. This is by far the easiest setup Linksys I have ever had, lets just hope it lasts longer and Tom I have already included the firmware check in my next troubleshooting list... Dave
Old 08-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #6
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
About this router problem.

I have a Netgear.

I experience that some days I get right on other days it is a hit and miss.

Sometimes while on, it will click me off for no reason that I can understand/.

My router is over two years old.

Whats your thoughts....Do these things go out easily, and I should be replacing mine?

I will have to try the turning it of and on and see if this helps.

Thanks for your opinions,

Denise
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have a Kyocera KR1 with an aircard. It drops frequently and I called Kyocera once over a year ago. Spent over an hour trying to talk me through a download with the guy at the other end somewhere in the heart of India. Not anxious to try it again...

In FL we operate off of cable internet with an old beat up Linksys. Works like a champ, even though the antenna has fallen/broken off the back. I just shoved it back in. I said I would get a new one at the beginning of the seaon this fall, but maybe I will follow this thread and be a little more cautious than I would have been otherwise...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Where we live in northern WI. there will most likely never be reliable cable internet till fiber gets here. We are too far off the beaten track to even have viable cell service. So we have Hughes for internet and directv for tv. We can't even use our cell phones till we get to Eagle River. So we use the hughes and a wireless router for internet. When the POS Linksys and other brand routers crap out I go back to old hardline connection between the modem and the laptops till I can find another wireless version of a Mission tire. Like I said I will keep in mind that when this one starts to act up I will try the firmware update. Then toss it in the trash compactor and go buy another one... Dave
Old 08-08-2008, 01:34 AM   #9
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Im surprised, we have lynksys and a couple other brand routers all over our facility, its rare that one of any brand fails here. Ive got a motorola at home, had it for years now.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:32 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Dave,
You need to cop an attitude. Stop blaming Mission! Wait! Do they make Lynksys in China?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:20 AM   #11
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
My Linksys WRT-54GS has worked fine for three years now. Got STUPID last mouth and dropped HughesNet and brought a Verizon air card, BIG mistake. Have not had a Verizon tower since. If we find service in the US it is slow. Guess I'ii be going back.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #12
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Ok since this topic was started....

I read through all the replys.

Watched my router, and everytime it kicked us off or wouldn't connect I would unplug the router, then plug in again.

The router would then work.....so...

I called Netgear and explained what was happening.

Their response was the same from this post.....router going out.

So this weekend I went out and bought a new router....Linksys Range Plus WRT110.

After hooking this up.....my laptop wireless quit working

If it wasn't for the fact that two other laptops in the house were working on the internet then I would of thought it was the router....

Since I bought my laptop at Fry's 4 years ago and bought the extended warrenty.....my laptop is now at Fry's and I have a "loaner"

I am happy right now. But nervous about what may be wrong with my laptop. Hopefully just the wireless connection/ chip went out.

I thought this whole thing was funny seeing how I just set up a new wireless router. Thank goodness the other laptops were in the house or else I would of been taking a router back and doing a lot more running around to discover it was MY laptop with the problem (WHEW!)

And on the router note....the other laptops are having faster services with the new router.

Denise
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote