Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
St Mary ain't a church

About one mile from the east gate of the Glacier National Park, is a nifty campground named Johnson of St Mary Campground. Our site over looks a marvelous valley with a river flowing through it. There was barely enough room to get our slides out, but never mind, there is the view. Tomorrow, the park. If it is anything like Yellowstone and/or Theodore Roosevelt National Park, it will be tremendous.

I have so much fun spotting and trying to photograph animals in the wild. At TRNP, we added wild turkeys, wolf, wild horses, and white-tailed deer. Prairie dog town was somewhat like watching meerkats. We are looking forward to new finds at Glacier.

We also plan on taking one of the big lake boat tours. Browning, MT is in the Blackfoot Indian Reservation. We plan to visit the Plains Indian Museum. I think this will be a great week here in St Mary, MT and Glacier National Park.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:29 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Sounds like y'all are on that Great American Adventure, and enjoying it very well.

Thanks, and keep us posted.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:48 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Stiles,

If Johnson's is the place I'm thinking about I think we would stay there if and when we go back. We stayed at the KOA which was nice but very expensive.

I think Johnson's is where they have an onsite restaurant. It looks like an old cowboy type place that is on it's last legs! Don't be fooled. They have some excellent food. We ate there at least 2 times. And I do like the views from up there.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:08 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hamrad, you have the right place. The Johnsons are an older couple that can be seen cruising around the campground in a golf cart. Obviously, they have hired others to work the place. This morning I am looking out my window, while seated in my recliner, looking at a river, a forest, and snow capped mountains with scenic cliffs.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
We stayed at the Saint Marys KOA two years ago and the staff was very rude and crude. Would not recommend staying there.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:51 AM   #6
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
We stayed at the St. Marys KOA last month and found the staff cordial and helpful. I would recommend staying there. However, the park where Stiles is staying offers a more panoramic view.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:03 AM   #7
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Joe-n-Doe, I'm happy that you had a good experience at St. Marys KOA. I sent them an email of the problems I had and they promised to better train their staff. Looks like things have improved.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Stiles, we stayed a month in Montana while we were on our Western swing. I Love Montana, heck I Love the West. We will go back someday. That trip West of the big river lasted 9 months. Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, awesome so much Western History. We will never forget those States. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:27 AM   #9
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Stiles
John and I stayed there last year. It was excellant, we too had a great view. Resturant just up the hill, we would go up after dinner for their homemade pies.
Drive over to Many Glacier, we saw a number of grizzlies while there.

Another good place is a steak place name escapes me but it is the largest building at the intersection I think it is toward Babb. I think it is called Cowboy??? Best steaks we have had. It is the nicest building.
Dorothy
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:25 AM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
We just made reservations for the last week of August at St. Marys.

Stiles, it sounds beautiful - keep us updated on your adventures there.

Jo-Anna
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote