Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2007, 03:24 AM   #1
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Freezer - Sounds Like Air Leaking

During our first trip, following recovery from open heart surgery, when we closed our freezer door on the Dometic fridge, we hear what sounds like air leaking from the around the door. We have cleaned the seals and door with no luck correcting the problem

We have a scheduled service date to have the freezer/fridge looked over. We will update what was found and corrected.

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:41 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I think that is normal. Ours does it too. When you open the freezer, you let warm air in, when you close the door, that warm air quickly cools and contracts causing a negative pressure in the freezer. With ours, it is almost impossible to open the freezer door for 30 seconds or so, until the pressures equalize. Actually, I would take it as a good sign, it means that your freezer is airtight.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:47 AM   #3
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
BW: If you mean 'air leaking' when you close the door once the freezer is cold - that is normal. It is the cold air pulling the door in -- our home freezer does it as well -- I worry when I don't hear it do that -- tells me something is in the way and the door is not closed all the way (learned the hard way one time -- a lot of stuff thawed out ; in any case, if what you hear is an air sucking sound right after you close the door I'd say you have a good seal and not to worry about it as long as the stuff in the freezer is freezing.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:37 AM   #4
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Thanks for the response,

We had never heard that before on our earlier TT or for the first year on the Monty. We just passed our one year anniversary!

Well, we called Dometic and they indicate to us that we should have the fridge checked and thank goodness they sent us to a dealer that is 5 minutes from our stick house!

I will update as soon as we find out what they say and/or do!
Old 05-15-2007, 06:25 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
BW - Was just listening to mine whistle this weekend. It is normal, and in fact, you can't re-open the freezer door for a few seconds after closing it because of the suction. Ours at home does the same thing.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:34 AM   #6
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Thanks to ALL,

We had the freezer checked-out yesterday. As you have all so kindly responded, this is normal. The seals are good. Boy! Brenda and I have never heard this before, not in our earlier travel trailer nor the Monty.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't recall hearing that either but next time I will listen. Now I can go to bed with a smile, knowing I learned something new today.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote