Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Seven Way Trailer Plug

On my 7 way plug I found 12 VDC (4) and the running lights (3). I can jump 3 & 4 and the lights come on steady or jump it with the flasher and they will flash.

If I jump from 12 VDC (4) to the left (5) and/or right (6) for the turn signals, why don't the turn signals/brake lights come on?

Also, what is the center auxillary pin used for?

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Reverse Lights...
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Good question. I would not worry about it as long as the trailer brake lights are working properly when attached to the TV. The #7 center wire is used for back-up lights.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
They don't come on because there is no signal from the TV. The power is not supplied until the brakes are actuated or the turn signal flasher sends it on through. All else is simple on/off.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
My manual shows the center pin is for backup lights.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Thanks for the replies.

I'm trying wire up some jumpers with a flasher that I can attach to the 7 way plug for the brake lights of the Monte. If I were to break down on the highway and had to leave the Monte along side the road, I'd like to have the brake lights flash (especially at night). I know that I can turn on the running lights or flash them and I probably will if I can't get the brake lights to flash.

Can anyone explain how I can get the brake lights to flash or just light up.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:23 PM   #7
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Don,

Plug one side of you flasher into # 4 and make up a double jumper to go from the other side of you flasher to #5 & #6. Both rear turn signal lights should flash. Does the flasher Work? Make sure you are working with the trailer diagram.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:33 AM   #8
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Quote:
quote:JH Sechelt Posted - Jan 30 2007 : 02:23:40 AM
Hi Don, Plug one side of you flasher into # 4 and make up a double jumper to go from the other side of you flasher to #5 & #6. Both rear turn signal lights should flash. Does the flasher Work? Make sure you are working with the trailer diagram. J&D
Yes the flasher works if I jump #4 to #3, the running lights flash.

Yes, I'm using the trailer diagram. The brake lights don't work with or without the flasher. They work connected to my TV, but if I straight wire jump from #4 to #5 and/or #6 they don't light up. Is there something special about the brake lights that I am not seeing? Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:35 AM   #9
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Don,

That one beats me. Unless the turn signals only ground to the truck ? and that doesn't make sense.
Keep us posted. I'll have to go and try it on ours.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:58 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Don,

Any luck? That is really strange. Mine works fine and I do it just like you describe. Have you just tried a jumper without any flasher?

The center pin is for backup lights. Unfortunately Keystone cuts it off at the pin box because the Monty doesn't use them. I had to re-run the yellow from the pin box to the backup lights I installed. Then of course I found out the hitch installer did not run the backup light wire on the TV either, so had to pull that one in to the bed plug from the Ford wiring harness to the bumper plug.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:43 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
My Aux pin shows back-up also but Montana dont have them, and should. an extra set of lights at night time when parking would be nice. My Terry had them.
Another thing to think about on the trailer plug it would look neat too if dry camping in the desert.
Connect a jumper to plug wire # 4 to #3 with a switch and your running lights should come on without the truck being pluged in.

TT2
Old 01-31-2007, 05:55 AM   #12
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I don't mean to hijack the thread (well on second thought I do), but I have a utility trailer that is "Oklahoma wired" for a 5 pin that I need to rewire for my 7 pin receptacle (it locks the trailer brakes up when an off-the-shelf adapter is used). Does anyone know if the wiring color scheme is a standard? I realize no one has to go by it, but is it possible that the same colors would hold true since the diagram is somewhat universal??
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:37 PM   #13
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Operator Error. I must have froze my brain when I last checked my jumpers the other day.

Today, I took the TV back out to the Monte just to make sure the brake lights were working and they were working. I plugged in the flasher/jumpers to the brake lights and the other lead to what I thought was the running lights before plugging into the 12 VDC. I could hear the flasher start clicking. I checked and the brake lights and they were flashing but the running lights were not on. I found that the #3(running lights) was actually the 12VDC. Once I plugged in the jumper to #4 the running lights came on.

Later when it warms up, I'll check to see which pins are actually left turn, right turn and electric brake.

So either my wiring diagram is wrong or the trailer is wired wrong(I truly find that hard to believe) I just checked Google and each of the sites I checked show the same wiring diagram as I included in my first thread. So I guess I'll check with my dealer when I take it out for some warranty work.

Sorry to cause a problem.

VanMan it looks like the wiring diagrams are standard as far as I can see. Maybe you can re-wire the 5 pin to 7 pin adapter to make work.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:27 PM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hey Don! Glad you got it working!

Based on the Keystone manual, your drawing is actually backwards. Might be the misleading part.

Just think if you jumper that flasher between the 12v and brakes, you'll have antilock brakes!
Old 01-31-2007, 07:30 PM   #15
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Quote:
quote:bsmeaton Posted - Jan 31 2007 : 8:27:18 PM
Hey Don! Glad you got it working!

Based on the Keystone manual, your drawing is actually backwards. Might be the misleading part.

Just think if you jumper that flasher between the 12v and brakes, you'll have antilock brakes!
"Dah! If all else fails - READ THE MANUAL". I found the 7 way plug in the manual and it is different from the "standard" in my first thread. That's where I got mixed up. Now, does that mean I can't tow SOB 5er? I'll have to check the GM OEM wiring to see if that is the "standard" or different.

Hey Brad, that is a good idea - jump the flasher to the brakes for antilocking brakes. We should patent that and split the proceeds. LOL

Old 01-31-2007, 11:24 PM   #16
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Then the magnet would be on all the time and would burn it out in short matter of time, then you would have no brakes.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:17 AM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Broome - you're right! Guess we should explain we are just kidding!

Wouldn't want to see anybody wheels up in the field with a flasher on the brake circuit saying they read about it on the MOC . That would not be funny.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:01 AM   #18
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
VanMan,

There are a couple of variations of those adapters, and yes the brakes will be on all the time if you have the wrong one. Good news is, it's an easy fix. Remove the phillips head screws that hold the adapter together and open it up. On the back of the round 6 pin connector, you will find a blue wire going to the center pin, and a red wire going to the terminal marked S. Swap positions with these 2 wires, put the adapter back together, and you are in business.

Hope this helps you out.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:29 AM   #19
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Lonnie - Thanks ! I'll print this out and save it for better weather. It's snowing here in N. Texas !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote