Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Changing Oil

How many of you change your on oil away from your stick house. I'm debating on whether or not to take my catch basin, funnel, etc on this 6 month trip?

virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by virgil47

How many of you change your on oil away from your stick house. I'm debating on whether or not to take my catch basin, funnel, etc on this 6 month trip?
Jiffy-lube or an oil change service sounds pretty attractive vs giving storage up to the catch basin, funnel, etc on this 6 month trip.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:33 AM   #3
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
We take ours to a dealer while on the road. Depends on how long we are gone i usually carry a case of oil with us in the bed of the truck. Some times can't find the right oil on the road.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:41 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I take mine to Wal-Mart. Cost is less than $50 for 14 quarts Rotella oil, FL-1A filter and labor. For that amount it's easier on the old bones. I do check for leaks after the work is done. Once in a while they don't tighten the filter enough but it's simple enough to tighten by hand.
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I'm glad you have the time and ability to perform these oil changes. I just have it done professionally.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
no matter where we are at we taker to the local GM dealer. This way I know it's done right and if it ain't it's their problem.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
While on the road I hit up the local Chevy/GMC dealership for any possible service work that comes up. I like knowing it is done right and that they are liable for anything that goes wrong. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:25 PM   #8
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Virgil,

I do change mine on the road. Biggest reason, I fall into the group of "Ye of little faith". I simply don't trust others to do it for me. The last time I let someone do it for me (Walmart) they left the funnel in the valve cover, close the hood on it and sent me on my way. I should have checked their work but didn't and I didn't discover it until retruning home 1500 mi. later. Fortunately the funnel was plastic and folded up under the hood without denting it, and the way it was wedged, it stayed away from the tappets. After contacting Wallys, they sent me $50 to rechange the oil and filter and buy a replacement oil filler cap.

Another reason I do my own, is because I use Mobil 1. If a service place offers it they gouge you for it.

One problem is finding a place to do it yourself. Most Camp Grounds will not let you do your own. If you do it at a Camp Ground you better do it quickly. Don't get caught.

I'll continue to do my own as long as I can.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:32 PM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Local Chevy/GMC when I am on the road.I use Mobil one
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:55 PM   #10
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
This is something I will have to spend much time with. Like ols 1932, the old bones dictate paying to have it done but I am not real comfortable with Wally World. How much does Jiffy charge for a diesel engine oil change?
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:49 PM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
My dear old Dad is 79 and still changes his own oil. I hope I am able to still do it if I am lucky enough to live that long. I am 55 and have serviced every vehicle I have owned for the last 39 years but if I was not able to do it I would only consider a good quick lube shop where I could watch them do it and verify my engine was not started with the engine drained.

The simple task of oil changes is the biggest cause of engine failures IMO.

Aztar's experience is not uncommon and the reason is because this task is so simple, even dealerships allow unskilled people to do it. It happens where sometimes the oil is drained, they go for a break, come back start up the vehicle, oops, no oil, filler her up and you take your baby home with the start of major engine wear. My Dad lost his engine in his year old 54 Ford after getting the oil changed at a dealer. He learned his lesson the hard way.

Like I said, the quick lube places do it right there while you watch. They always complete the job before going for a break and you can see for yourself your engine was drained and filled without being started.

The other alternative is a good small shop where you know and trust the people servicing your vehicle. I have been a Ford man all my life and I love Ford trucks but I would not let a Ford dealership ever do an oil change on my truck. Take care.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:26 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Garin1

This is something I will have to spend much time with. Like ols 1932, the old bones dictate paying to have it done but I am not real comfortable with Wally World. How much does Jiffy charge for a diesel engine oil change?
I don't go to Jiffy any more because there appears to be no supervision of the kids doing the work. And, they told me my windshield wiper blades were worn out and needed to be replaced. I had just put new Anco blades on the day before! Actually, I think mistakes can be made by anyone, including the car dealers. So, each person makes their own choice.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:52 AM   #13
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I used to do all my own engine work but with the new cars and trucks you can't even get to the filters, plugs, etc. without special tools. I bought oil to change in my truck and couldn't get the filter off. Had to pay a Jiffy Lube $20 to change for me. The Oil cost $27 so I didn't save much. The next time the Dodge dealer did it all for $49.

Seems like they try to make it hard on us.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:50 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't have that problem. The oil filter on mine is in a canister on top of the engine. Loosen the cap and a valve drains the oil out so when you lift out the element you get no drips or maybe 1 or 2 if you rush it. My problem is no rv park will allow us to change oil and since we're fulltiming that means I pay to have the oil changed.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:31 AM   #15
Montana_5036
Established Member

M.O.C. #5036
Here is a prespective from the other side. I own a Meineke Car Care Center and we do a lot of oil changes. Most of the mistakes I have seen made on any service is when things are real busy and the tech's are in a hurry. Although its not always possible try to get your rig in when the shop is not busy and then watch them. I would also recommend checking the oil plug, filter and oil level when they are done. I am also not a big fan of the fast oil change shops (i.e Jiffy Lube), they tend to push un-needed services, have minimum wage kids doing the work and always seem in a hurry - then again I could be biased . If on the road I would pick a shop that has ASE certified mechanics, has a set-up where you can watch and pick a time when they are not too busy. Also if you have specific oil/filter requirements have your own oil and filter with you. I know of some shops that will tell you they have your oil and then put something else in.
Montana_5036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:33 AM   #16
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Great perspective and advice. I've decided not to take my "stuff" but rely on Wally World or a Mieneke Care Care Center

virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote