Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2023, 03:57 PM   #1
SharonTrobaugh

M.O.C. #33660
Hot water heater

Hey everyone! I’m brand new to full time. I am on shore power. I can’t get the hot water heater to work on gas or electric. I have pressed the reset buttons. The hot water heater gets hot, there is water in the heater. Is there another bypass valve somewhere? Like under or inside the unit?
I have a 2007 Keystone Montana 5th wheel. If I turn the bypass valve the other way, no water comes out at all. When I turn it the opposite only cold eater comes out. We drained the heater and the water that came out was hot- but it does not come out hot out of the faucets or showers. I have the owners manual but not a user manual. I would appreciate any help :-).

SharonTrobaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 04:20 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Sounds like the check valve on the back of the heater is stuck or failed.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 05:18 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I agree, the check valve has failed. You can remove it temporarily but you want to replace it before you winterize.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 06:43 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
IF you have an outdoor shower connection in the convenience center (or anywhere else) make sure the valves are turned off. IF they are on, hot and cold water can mix and dilute the hot water in your pipes. Same for your inside shower if you have a shower head that can shut off the flow.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 02:59 PM   #5
RetiredandRollin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27367
I have a hot water heater issue and rather than start a new thread, maybe you guys will allow me to piggy back off this thread. I have the Suburban 12 gallon gas/electric water heater on my 2021 3791RD "Legacy", I highlight that for a reason, I'll explain. The Legacy comes with the In Command System and on the Water Heater screen you have the option of running the water heater with gas, electric or both. We always ran it on both thinking that the water would heat faster as there was 3 adults come shower time. Up until recently it ran flawlessly. As of last week when we press both it gives us an error "Check Water Heater", but if we run it JUST off gas it works and if we run it off electric it works but it takes longer to heat the water. You guys have any idea what's going on?

I've taken my meter to each thermostat and they are at the correct resistance (ohms). The electric heating element is also at the correct resistance (ohms). Both reset buttons are correct.

I did all my meter checks with a cold tank and off line. Thoughts?
RetiredandRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 04:22 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Sound like an In Command problem to me. But I am of no help on what to do other than a CNTL+ALT+Delete process.

Old 11-29-2023, 09:04 PM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredandRollin View Post
I have a hot water heater issue and rather than start a new thread, maybe you guys will allow me to piggy back off this thread. I have the Suburban 12 gallon gas/electric water heater on my 2021 3791RD "Legacy", I highlight that for a reason, I'll explain. The Legacy comes with the In Command System and on the Water Heater screen you have the option of running the water heater with gas, electric or both. We always ran it on both thinking that the water would heat faster as there was 3 adults come shower time. Up until recently it ran flawlessly. As of last week when we press both it gives us an error "Check Water Heater", but if we run it JUST off gas it works and if we run it off electric it works but it takes longer to heat the water. You guys have any idea what's going on?

I've taken my meter to each thermostat and they are at the correct resistance (ohms). The electric heating element is also at the correct resistance (ohms). Both reset buttons are correct.

I did all my meter checks with a cold tank and off line. Thoughts?
I would reset your In Command by removing all power from the rig including disconnecting the battery bank, leaving power off for a few minutes and then turn power back on and try it again.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 05:11 PM   #8
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
If power off on In-Command doesn’t work, you could try a reset.

If Gen 1, you should have a control panel in the storage area that looks like the diagram on the left. Instructions for reset.

You can also look up your model and download manuals: https://in-command.net/control-systems/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1513.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	16045   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1514.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	16046  
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 08:16 AM   #9
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Sound like an In Command problem to me. But I am of no help on what to do other than a CNTL+ALT+Delete process.
Didn't OP say 2007? In-Command wasn't conceived back then was it?
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 11:30 AM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
Didn't OP say 2007? In-Command wasn't conceived back then was it?
Yup, the OP has a 2007. But I was responding to the RetiredandRollin post (#5) and they have a 2021.

Old 01-04-2024, 05:52 PM   #11
SharonTrobaugh

M.O.C. #33660
I have tried searching YouTube in many different ways for how to replace the check valve and I am not getting good results. I am also not very handy. I decided that I need to probably have someone come replace it for me. The RV repair man said that he wasn’t sure how long it would take to replace until he looks at it. Can someone tell me about how long it would take? I need to calculate and budget for how much this will cost. The videos I did see have very much different setups than what I have on my 2007 Keystone Montana.
Old 01-04-2024, 07:54 PM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
2007 is an older vintage so there are only a few members who have one. What model do you have as the the water heater is in different locations depending on the model. Some models are easier to access the water heater than others.

Changing the valve is pretty easy *DEPENDING* on the access available.

Old 01-04-2024, 11:13 PM   #13
SharonTrobaugh

M.O.C. #33660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
2007 is an older vintage so there are only a few members who have one. What model do you have as the the water heater is in different locations depending on the model. Some models are easier to access the water heater than others.

Changing the valve is pretty easy *DEPENDING* on the access available.
The title says 3750rfl but i recently found a sticker on the outside says 2890rl. When I google I feel like I have a mix of layouts. The water heater is accessible for the draining of it via the outside. Tomorrow during daylight I will go get a photo. Thank you for your reply!
Old 01-05-2024, 06:57 AM   #14
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Do you have a 2007 2980rl ? (Typo??)
I found floor plans and pictures of that model.
If so....
Based on pictures of the outside and location of the water heater, I'm guessing it's under/behind your entertainment center.
In mine 2019 3130re the pantry is there and if you remove the panel under the bottom shelf, the water heater and furnace is there.
I'm guessing for yours, access will be behind the basement wall on the left side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2008 2980rl floor plan.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	16243   Click image for larger version

Name:	2980rlr.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	16244   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 2890rl entertainment center.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	16245  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 09:16 AM   #15
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I had a 2007 3075RL with a floorplan very nearly like the 2980RL in Daryles post above. I never had to access the back of the water heater, but I think mine was accessible from the basement by removing a panel behind the convenience center (water hookup panel).
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 09:45 AM   #16
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I drew this sketch for the same question on a similar unit - but per the exterior photo Daryles posted - you do not have a furnace in that location. But you can see that if you remove the basement bulkhead wall you should see the water heater.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2023-10-25_13-19-20.png
Views:	10
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	16246  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 10:37 AM   #17
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
I would trust your title more than a sticker outside, to tell you what your model is--depending on what you mean by "sticker." If it's a sticker a dealership put on, the dealership may have just gotten the model wrong.

I have a 2002 3670RL, and it says "3670RL" right by the door, in a decal that's just like the picture-of-a-mountain kind of decal that obviously came from the factory. I would trust a decal like that if you have one, right by your door, to tell you what model you have.

I can't remember how I figured out mine was a 2002--but I remember thinking it was a 2003 for a while. The DMV may have figured it out for me, based on the VIN number. (Maybe check the VIN number to find out for sure?)

My water heater is next to the kitchen sink, in the same set of bottom cabinets, but there's a partial wall between the under-sink cabinet area and the water heater area. The water heater is behind a long pull-out drawer, and the on/off switch is accessible from the outside, though I don't really know where the drain is. The previous owner removed the propane connection on mine, so I don't know if he changed the drain and plumbing configuration or not.
newowneroldmontana is offline   Reply With Quote