Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2004, 10:32 AM   #1
pound99
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1836
Black Holding Flush disaster

The last visit to our camper I left the hose attached to the black tank flush nozzle. The adapter on the faucet was turned off. However my wife returned to stay in the camper for a while to be with our new grand-daughter. She asked my son-in-law to get the camper ready. He didn't know about the black flush and open the faucet to the hose on the black tank. After the tank filled with water the sewer waste came out of the sink in the bedroom. Pure sewer was spread all over the camper. Much damage and horrible odor was done. The insurance adjuster and happy camper will be there next week to replace the carpet etc. A dumb dumb mistake to leave the hose attached to flush attachment.

pound99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 11:22 AM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
sorry to hear. almost done that before.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 11:23 AM   #3
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Daryl and Carol, I am so sorry to hear about your misfortune Thank god for good ins. We do leave the hose attached to the RV but always disconnect it from the water supply. Keep us posted of your progress.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 11:26 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thank you for the heads up. We had a similar (but less disasterous) experience with leaving the drain gate valve closed on the grey water tank and then running the washer. It created a geyser in the lavatory. We were fortunate enough to catch it very quickly and remedy the situation. Very sorry for your mishap, but thanks for sharing it with us.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 11:45 AM   #5
Montana_593
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #593
Just a little curious as to how the black water came out of the bath sink. That sink should have been connected to the grey water tank not the black water tank. While everybody is checking the damage they need to check out the plumbing too.

Good Luck
Montana_593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 12:05 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sorry to hear about the disaster. That had to be a horrible feeling, not to mention the smell! Thankfully it's repairable. Since we're talking black flush here can I assume the water came out the check valve that's under the sink? Or did it come out of the sink bowl itself? If it does that then I, too, have to wonder how that happened. Might be something I need to check out on mine.

Thanks for letting us know. Hope it is all fixed quickly for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 12:21 PM   #7
w4nfr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #646
One of our RV friends told us about a "Black Water" problem they had at one time. Seems he installed a "Maceator" on his rig that ground up sewage and then it would pump it through a normal water hose to the sewer. As time went on, he stayed at his mother-in-laws place and connected up the sewer hose to the "Sewer Cleanout" in his mother in law's shrubery. After a few weeks of use, black water started coming up and out of the mother-in-laws kitchen sink drain in the house. By the time they discovered the problem, black water had completely covered the counter top and was all over the floor and into the carpet etc. Apparently, there was a plugup in the sewer line between the cleanout and the street. It cost $15,000 to clean up and replace kitchen cabinets, carpet and fix the sewer line and get rid of the smell etc. Moral of this story: Forget Power Maceators, stick to normal gravity flow!
w4nfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 12:36 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I had also overfilled the black tank to cause overflowing into the bathroom. Fortunately for me I was on the final flush and the water that ran into the bathroom was nearly as clear and clear as the freshwater giong in the tank. Had it cleaned up in an hour, carpet dried over night.

I do keep the flush line connected but I also have an inline shut off valve between the hose and the trailers flush fitting. I close the line at the spigot as well as the inline. Gotta turn both on to get the water flowing into the tank.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 01:39 PM   #9
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

I had also overfilled the black tank to cause overflowing into the bathroom. ...
Glenn,

How did your black tank overflow into the Montana? Via the toilet overflow?

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 07:03 PM   #10
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
Don't leave the hose hooked up to anything if your not there. It saves money and embarrassment. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:31 AM   #11
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

I had also overfilled the black tank to cause overflowing into the bathroom. Fortunately for me I was on the final flush and the water that ran into the bathroom was nearly as clear and clear as the freshwater giong in the tank. Had it cleaned up in an hour, carpet dried over night.

I do keep the flush line connected but I also have an inline shut off valve between the hose and the trailers flush fitting. I close the line at the spigot as well as the inline. Gotta turn both on to get the water flowing into the tank.
I did the same thing leaving my flush running a little too long but instead of it backing up through the toilet it started coming out from under the camper's belly where the insulation liner is. In my case there has to be a vent that is not connected properly or the seal at the commode that is not connected securely. At least that was what I was told by the technician. It goes back to the dealer after Thanksgiving for repairs.

Bill
Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 01:38 PM   #12
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
You'd think you'd get a wiff of a bad smell if there was a seal problem on the black tank. Although I guess the "sealed" undercarriage would hold most of the gases in. (Sounds like a potential bomb. Doesn't it! )

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #13
Shelly715

M.O.C. #20892
Black tank flush overfill

My hubby was flushing the black tank and left the water running and a loud pop was heard with water that came out is there a pop off valve or do we need service guy
Shelly715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #14
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
This is a 13+ year old thread, so perhaps you should have started a new one. Anyways just arm chairing this ... a loud pop could have been a tank splitting or a tank line busting off the tank itself. Unless you are very handy at pulling down the belly and diagnosing the issue at hand ... I'd say it's service repair time. You have to keep a VERY close eye on tank flushing if you have the drain closed.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:17 PM   #15
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
I NEVER flush the black tank with the drain closed. That's a disaster waiting to happen if you do.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:29 PM   #16
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Wear is the water coming out of under the fiver?

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW crew cab 4x4 LB
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:48 PM   #17
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Wow! What a treat to see posts from Glen and Lorraine, Steve Reigle, Prairie Poodle, and Stiles Watson.

These are (were) all great members of the MOC from some years back. I do know that Glen and PrairiePoodle are gone from this earth. I do know that Steve Reigle is "retired" from RVing and living in California. Last I heard from Stiles Watson he was retired to Marquez, Texas.

Look at their member numbers (and mine for that matter.) These are the ancestors of the MOC.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:17 PM   #18
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I agree padredw nice to see these names again. They were the backbone of MOC. We owe them a big thanks.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:38 PM   #19
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
As for sewer coming out bathroom sink, it would happen in my unit if I left the backflush running. I know for a fact my sink drains into the black tank. I looked behind the storage wall underneath and can see the connections.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:30 AM   #20
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
The only thing that is on my black tank is the toilet. I wonder why they hooked grey water from a sink to it? and I also leave the flush hose attached all the time but I have 2 shut offs on it one at the faucet and on at the point of entry and also the hoses are tagged for the DW when she MIGHT flush the tanks someday. Lol
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote