Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Check valve gone....check

Yep, the black tank flush check valve was worthless. It would not let water pass into the tank which kinda makes a tank flush worthless. Since I can see no purpose in the valve since I do not leave a hose hooked to it unless I am flushing I replaced it with an elbow. Now I have a tank flush.

steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:55 AM   #2
jgavin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10361
Send a message via MSN to jgavin Send a message via Skype™ to jgavin
Dave, it isn't unheard of to find things installed backwards on the Monties. I suspect yours was. I wound up with a cracked check valve and had to replace it. Since we were in Orlando at the time, we went over to the Camping World store and I talked with one of the techs. He got me a brass valve and explained about having it not work if it was in backwards.

Our Montie had multiple bad speaker wires installed incorrectly and the DVD drive died. I managed to replace the DVD drive and fix the speakers. So I understand about Keystone not getting things right.

Joe
jgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:37 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I took mine out a long time ago, but I have a brass one on a little garden hose protector (one of those really short hoses with the spring on it) that goes on first when I flush. The purpose of the backflow preventer is to keep contaminated water out of your hose in the event of a drop in water pressure. Unlikely to happen when you're flushing, but still a possibility that can be guarded against for less than five bucks.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
As high as the loop of pipe is where the backflow preventer is I too doubt I would ever get any sewage back thru the hose. That preventer must be a good 6-7 foot above the tank. But I have a designated hose for the flusher and I never keep it connected. The only way I can see it coming back out the back flush outlet is if the toilet is left running and it over full. But in that case the tank would probably split open anyways lol lol
Old 03-28-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
Carl32092
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11321
In some states or municipalities it is the law that you must have a back flow prevention device on any city water line attached to a sanitary circuit. I assume that is why they are installed on all the coaches.
Carl32092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I removed mine after it went bad. I went to my local RV repair place and showed him the backflow preventer and he said " that's from a keystone trailer, I would need to order it since they are the only ones that use them". I didn't install another one.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Wow guys, I don't know about that. I've heard that some people run the sewer flush with their dump valves closed even though my manual says to not flush without the dump valves open. My point is that if the dump valves are closed, there is a certain amount of back pressure and it seems to me that some contaminants could run back into that hose. I run a Sewer Solution and it seems there is always a certain amount of back pressure when flushing even with the dump valves open. Not trying to be critical but if it were mine, I would replace the backflow preventer....just sayin'
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Here is an interesting diagraham and info I never seen before. Also shows why the valve is mounted so high up in a wall. But it says it is suppose to be mounted in a place where leaking water won't do any damage. I guess inside an interior wall is one of those places lol lol ... http://www.heartlandowners.org/media...ck_diagram.jpg