Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2016, 06:38 AM   #1
tracyclifton
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11859
Bent axle?

I noticed on our last trip that the tires on the rear axle are leaning inward at the top. I think that would be negative camber. Both sides appear to be the same. So I am assuming that the rear axle has somehow gotten bent and the factory arch is gone. I don't think it is from overloading because they are 7000# axles and the 5th wheel only weighs about 13k loaded. My question is has anyone been successful in getting the axle straightened at a shop? If I can find a shop that will do it I would like to try it before I replace the axle. Also, for anyone who has had it done, what is the cost? I have seen anything from $200-$500 from Google searches. Any suggestions are always appreciated.

tracyclifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #2
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
My trailer came with 5200# axles, keystone upgrade to 6000# three months later. That being said, I been mine. I'm in the camp the believes if you re bend steel once, it will rebend again easier the next time. I went to a Dexter dealer and bought two new 7000# axles for about $140 each, and changed myself. I can see spending money to try to rebend axles.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:25 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Just had my rear Axle straighten at JOSAM in Florida. They are a national frame/Axle fixing franchise. Believe the cost was about 230.00 plus a diagnosis fee. Can't remember the actual cost. They did a great job and I was able to watch the whole process. You can Google them and find locations.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:12 AM   #4
tracyclifton
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11859
I called my local RV shop. They recommended a local axle and spring shop. I called them and they said they have the equipment and do it all the time. I was quoted $115 over the phone. I plan to take it to them as soon as I have time.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Your trailer may only weigh about 13k loaded sitting still...or static load. Going down the road is another issue and the load changes dynamically due to wind, road surface lean or road crowning, going around curves, hitting a dip in the road and some of the terrible road conditions we face as we tow. Shock from potholes, poor transistions on bridges or highway work can really spike that weight to more than the static weight on our trailers. You may have gotten an axle that was stressed by the delivery person before you got it and after use, it became what it is. Good luck on the fix and hope it flies. John
Old 07-13-2016, 12:44 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Here in Wichita, Atlas Spring and Axle will check and bend if necessary both axles for $115 plus tax. If your axles have issues they can't fix, they'll tell you up front. I had it done on my last 2 Montana's with lasting results. They do OTR truck trailers, RV's, and implement trailers any day of the week. In today's world, buying a new axle is a 50 - 50 venture as far as being cambered and toed right. I think you're money ahead finding a reputable business and having them tweek your OEM axle.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:12 PM   #7
tracyclifton
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11859
That is exactly who I talked to. I am going to take it to them as soon as I have the time. Thanks for letting me know that it worked for you. Sometimes people say it isn't safe or won't work even if they have never had it done.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:42 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jcurtis934

Your trailer may only weigh about 13k loaded sitting still...or static load. Going down the road is another issue and the load changes dynamically due to wind, road surface lean or road crowning, going around curves, hitting a dip in the road and some of the terrible road conditions we face as we tow. Shock from potholes, poor transistions on bridges or highway work can really spike that weight to more than the static weight on our trailers. You may have gotten an axle that was stressed by the delivery person before you got it and after use, it became what it is. Good luck on the fix and hope it flies. John
All the various loads and stresses on axles, tires, etc are considered when GW is computed.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:19 AM   #9
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
About a year after we got our rig I noticed that the right rear tire was wearing funny. Since I was putting G614's on it I didn't want them being chewed up. Local shop straitened it (and checked the other) and it's been good since. FYI he said the way it was bent someone had hit a curb hard and he would have expected wheel and tire damage. I think it happened in transport from the factory, as I hadn't hit anything and that tire had a different date code from the others.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:11 PM   #10
tracyclifton
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11859
I bought it new and it was all straight. I think that it has just happened over time while pulling it on all these great highways. The tires aren't wearing yet but they will. I'll update when I get it sorted out.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:27 PM   #11
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Does anyone have a heavier capacity axle than 7000 lbs on there Montana's? I have seen bigger axles on SOB's that also come with 17 1/2" rubber and oil lube hubs with disk brakes but their GVW rating is substantially higher than most Montana's. I am quite surprised to hear about all the bent axles on fellow members units. My unit (3160) has quite a bit of weight carrying capability as it's not as big or heavy as a lot of other models. I do try to be very careful with curbs, speed bumps etc.

Tom Marty
Old 07-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Quote "I have seen bigger axles on SOB's that also come with 17 1/2" rubber and oil lube hubs with disk brakes but their GVW rating is substantially higher than most Montana's." You're also moving out of the Montana price range bracket.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote