Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2015, 12:36 AM   #1
anglerdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14097
Interior Door Adjustment

Hi all. Need some advise. The interior door leading into our bedroom on our 2014 305RL needs to be adjusted to fit the door jam better. The door rubs in a couple of places and does not close without excessive force. I tightened up all the screws on the hinges to see if that might pull it in but its not enough.

When we took the rig in last summer for some maintenance, we had them adjust the door and it closed nicely for a few trips.

Before I do anything else, I thought I'd check here to see if there are any tricks to adjusting these doors.

anglerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:41 AM   #2
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Our interior doors change every time we move the trailer. It has been this way ever since it was new. We now have in excess of 80,000 miles on it and have found that if we set up with the trailer slightly higher on the driver’s side this is very slight we use the leveling unit I had installed on the fifth wheel hitch to determine level and when I say slight in mean the line is just not quite centered on the ball for left and right level. Then run the rear stabilizers until they have taken all the weight they can that the doors work well.

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:19 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'm with Phil, since you've already done what you can with the hardware, it sounds like a slight leveling adjustment would do the trick. Otherwise I would take the door off and sand down the offending areas.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:50 AM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Door frames change as the frame changes during leveling. Normal...we don't have the best frame under these things since the units have gotten longer with the gross weight still being somewhere near 16,000 lbs. As an engineer, I would have also had a stouter lippert frame on units longer than 35 feet...but then cost of the units would be more. All this is my own personal opinion which is worth nothing. But you can measure the diagonal of the door frames when unit is on its springs...then do a level and remeasure. Bet it changes on you from site to site. John
Old 04-04-2015, 05:09 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mike-- Since your unit is a 2014, it should still be under warranty and I'd take it in to the dealer again for the repair. I would also ask or have them show you what they do or did to correct the situation. If you do not want to take it into a dealer, I'd give their service department a call and ask them what they did and see if they will help you out! The leveling concept is also a good idea. The frame movement will tweak the rest of the areas in the unit including the door frames, cabinet doors and other places so leveling the unit is essential.

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:10 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We were down in Penitas, TX a couple weeks ago, for a week, and the hinged door to the toilet started binding, which it had never done before. Finally realized it had swelled due to the high humidity. A couple days after leaving for a dryer climate. the door is back to normal. You may have a humidity problem??
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote