Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Adhesive to blame!

I reported several weeks ago that I was having an issue with my rear slides on my new 3750. Short story when rear slides were being deployed the slides became stuck at bottom (both slides) causing them to hang up. As they extended both went out bottom heavy. Hydraulics continued to push them out damaging the floors and tearing out carpet. Sheet metal on lower parts of both slides damaged by mechanism . As you might be aware slides in the 3750 move at different speeds, impossible to watch all at once. As resistance increased those two slides begin to move in the rear. Damage was done in just seconds. When I heard the noise I stopped them, but it was too late. After some investigation it appears to have been caused by "adhesive" used to seal underneath slide. It aparently began to melt (hot weather presumably) and stuck to carpeting. We had noticed a problem with closet slide sticking at top during our first weeks of ownership, but was assured by two dealers, it was ok. The bottom would stick and somehow tipped the top forward. This caused slide outs to go out askew. We also noticed sticky adhesive at foot of bed. The damage was significant and has been costly to repair. Keystone sent someone to assist when it happened. After finally getting the factory to fully understand what occurred, and after a few tense conversations with Keystone, authorization for repairs was granted. It's required full removal of slides, replacement of closet slide floor etc. new carpet trim etc. While heat seems to be the culprit we remain perplexed. The black material used to seal out weather underneath the slide is where the adhesive appears to came from. Black marks on the carpet began to appear which we cleaned away, they seemed to come from slide movement. The material seems to have adhered to carpet. Both brought to attention of RV facilities. Attributed to being new and would deminish after more use. After all this, I am still impressed with Keystone and especially with Redding RV. Today I went to inspect progress and can report it looks like a full on factory repair. We love our Montana and can't wait to get it back! We have had no other issues since new, but I felt, out of full disclosure I would inform my fellow owners. The important thing is its being fixed and I am an extremely happy customer !

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
I am taking mine to my dealer to have the front living room slides photographed and documented for Keystone. The black material that covers the bottom that you speak of has been coming loose. I'm sure the bonding agent they are using is not holding. The living room slides don't roll on the carpet so I don't have any sticking issues like you.
After reading your post I will reinspect the other 3. Thanks for posting.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Correct the top slides are high. Our middle slide moves accross the vinyl floor. I think the bonding agent you speak of reacts to he nylon in the carpet. They found strips of the black stuff rolled up into little balls. Reminded me of "rubber cement" when I was a kid. But this is sticky and black. We bought it in Texas and brought it to Redding. It has been in Hot weather since new. In June, July and August it's 110-117 daily. I just can't help but believe it's related.

Some photos: I am not a photographer ... Password is. Montana

http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/...s7575/Repairs/
Old 08-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Not that hot here but adhesive still not holding. Probably one of those cost cutting moves by going with a cheaper alternative to the adhesive that always worked. How many times have we seen this scenario?
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

In our previous Montana (2001 3295rk) we started getting black streaks on the carpet from the big slide. It wasn’t catching like you have mentioned but ours turned out to be from where we had water leaks and the floor on the slide had gotten damaged. It was also holding moisture under the carpet area of the slide. Glad to hear that you are on top of it and Keystone is going to take care of it for you.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad to hear Keystone is coming thru for you!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Artemus Gordon

Photo is password protected.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Sorry. Note case sensitive

The password is :

Montana

http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/...s7575/Repairs/
Old 08-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Hey Michael,

Sorry to hear about all that trouble. I hope they get you taken care of swiftly!

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:15 AM   #10
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
My 06 3000RK also had trouble with the covering under the bedroom slide. Fortunatley no damage just the covering shattered but all the pieces were found. Glad to hear you getting some help with repairs and hope you will back on the road soon.
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Update: We pick up the Montana tomorrow. The work was extensive, but repaired to factor specs. Keystone provided all the mill work and complete floor replacement carpet installed. I'm very pleased, however I will keep a deligent eye on the under-slide material. The slides are adjusted a bit better than when it left the factory. They may have been to tight against floor when in motion. Seals look good and sheet metal is perfect! So back on the road. Redding RV and Keystone came through for me. Especially Redding RV, note: they don't even sell Montana's. So much for those guys who buy other brands, who say the "manufacturer requires" all warranty work be done at the selling dealer! That sets Keystone apart in my opinion!
Old 09-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Glad they did a good job and you're back on the road!
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:05 AM   #13
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
OMG! If it weren't for bad luck you'd have none at all! Best wishes on the repairs. I would demand a new RV or my money back! This shoddy workmanship is unacceptable. I bet they want you to continue paying for the RV while you lost use of it. I admire your patience. I would have none in this matter.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That black stuff under the bedroom slide on our 06 3400 developed bubbles and began to fall away from the slide bottom.Keystone replaced it no problem.

IMO these slides are poorly adjusted at the factory. We had the service center adjust all our slides on our 06 3400 and they operated smooth as silk from that point till we traded it in. The slides in this 13 3402 bump, grind and hesitate.We are at the service center Sept 17th and it is on the list.

Every problem we had on our 06 3400 could be attributed to poor workmanship or the result of poor workmanship. Thus far the same can be said for the very few minor problems we are seeing on this 13 3402..But then again we have only had it a short time.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #15
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

OMG! If it weren't for bad luck you'd have none at all! Best wishes on the repairs. I would demand a new RV or my money back! This shoddy workmanship is unacceptable. I bet they want you to continue paying for the RV while you lost use of it. I admire your patience. I would have none in this matter.
It was a subcontractors "product failure" in my opinion. Repairs were handled, no need for being upset. Been looking carefully at other non Keystone products and seen same products used under slide. As far as paying for unit while under repair, hard to quantify since its free and clear. Have lots of toys I can't use everyday. The inconvenience was a small bump in road! I got plenty of time to camp all winter! Now if other serious problems come up I will demand it be replaced, repurchased, but I seriously doubt it will happen. It's funny we looked at all the competition and Montana is still our first choice!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #16
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Artemus

I like your cool head and the way things were handled. It could have been ugly and you made the best of it. You are to be congratulated right along with the RV Center and Keystone for stepping up and doing the right thing.

Have fun in your travels.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #17
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Congratulations Artemus on getting your rig back and having her healthy again! Sorry to hear about the frustrations but I am so glad you weathered them with a positive outlook! I am not sure I could have done that...I would probably be a blubbering mess!

I do want to thank you for taking the time to notate your findings because now we, new owners, are putting it on the list of the things to watch for. Unfortunately, I am going to have to start a spreadsheet to keep it all straight! Now that you mention it I think I am going to have the dealership check our slides because they don't seem to be smooth as silk so they probably need some adjustment...one more thing for the list! Thanks again!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #18
dejama
Established Member

M.O.C. #6250
We too Have had the problem with the slides on the 3750. We just got ours back from repair shop. They had to totally remove both livingroom slides to repair the black underside material that was warping. We also had to have the carpet in the livingroom pulled so they could fix the floor as it was never attatched to the frame(quoted from repair shop) We will not even go into the rest of the work that has to be done or that our water line froze up this past winter with the temps being 17 degrees and the freeze up was inside the rig. Though we were the only one to get a bad rig.
dejama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #19
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I believe other manufacturers use same product. IMHO this material has several issues. The warping I saw on a new RV at Camper World on a Big Horn. I think the material needs to be watched carefully and be sure to report sticky feel to carpet or flooring. Its a black fabric used by everyone. Might take sometime before the manufacturers realize and or admit this problem exists ! Meanwhile I will be keeping close eye on all slides and regular inspection under each slide ! BTW thanks for compliments about attitude. I no longer allow things to get to me and realize the world around us is imperfect. I won't let issues or problems get in the way of my retirement or my health ! Lol. Besides when things get really bad "God made Lawyers"! Lol
Old 09-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #20
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Final update: We have used the Montana over a week now. The repairs were and remain flawless. The slides work perfectly no isues.Great. The slides are adjusted slightly higher and the tech's made sure no adhesive was present. Very happy with results . Keystone called to check on us and to thank us for our "positive attitude"! Lol. It's good to have our retreat back. Now I am busy installing my back up camera! Thanks everyone for accepting my posts and keeping things positive. Met another Montana owner in the park talked till midnight! What a gret club to belong!