Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Had to delay the graphics installation. (Growl)

Saturday's weather was just too nice. Had company and spent most of the day on the water. We also were surprised on Saturday morning with the realization that the rig was burglarized sometime in the past week. Pried the front bay door open and the convenience center side panels as well. The only thing of interest to the low-lifes was the Harbor Freight air compressor. Complained to the mini-storage owner (our local dealer) who acted like they were surprised. Our rig had been subjected to a previous attempted entry which resulting in the rear window being damaged which of course the dealerships reply was to have insurance take care of it. Now I know why the population of rigs at the mini-storage has been dwindling. Customer care has apparently been forgotten. The dealership has refused for more than four years to fix the automatic security gate at the facility. Their solution is simply to leave the facility open for every Tom, Dick and Harry that wants to drive through. We spent most of Sunday taking everything of value out of the basement until we figure out what we are going to do for storage since our trusting local dealer does not seem interested in providing any help at all. Service score just went to a 1 (haven't got the heart to give them a 0 but it is very close!!!!) Sorry for the rant, at least we are fortunate to have only lost a $50 compresser. I can't blame the dealer completely since obviously we were stupid enough to leave the rig there with valuables in the basement and front compartment.
Bingo
On edit: Furthering the disappointment is that when we notified the dealer that others had been burglarized as well and they should be notified, the dealer said they would contact us as to their future plans. As of this evening, we have heard ZILCH from them. I have not named them, but I am sure many of us know who they are.

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sorry to hear about this, Bingo. This type of activity is on the rise and storage facility owners are hard pressed to spend any money in this economy for upgrading, or even maintaining, their security systems.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:35 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Another advantage to Fulltiming. All my stuff is with me and nothing in any storage unit.

I never did trust these storage facilities. Years ago we did rent a storage unit where the facility had a 12' high fence and gate. You had to know a code in order to enter and everyone had a different code. The code was your initials plus your storage unit #. Mine was something like GA436. Problem was anyone could rent a unit with very little background check. Once they had their unit and their security code the entire facility was theirs to plunder at will. With a pair of bolt cutters they could enter any unit they wanted. They did this twice while I was there and even though they never got to me it didn't take me long to pack up and move out.

BTW-Where I come from, No storage facility is required to pay for any damages or loss. You, as a renter, are required to carry all the insurance needed to cover your stuff.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:51 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I want to repeat my statement that I do not place the blame on the mini-storage management since we are the ones responsible for having valuable items in an inviting location. The problem I do have, is that the same management should have a moral, ethical obligation to let us know if they are experiencing break-ins of other units. I have a strong suspicion that they knew what was going on since the number of renters has decreased about four fold since the Spring (I likewise had suspicions). The lack of a follow-up call is what perturbs me more than anything. As I also stated, we are truly blessed to have only been affected to the tune of $50. In these economic times, nothing surprises me.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:29 AM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Bingo I'm sorry to hear about your robery and brake-in to the Monty, all of us that have had that happen know the feeling all to well.
I'm supprised that the storage lot person dosen't do a daily check of the facility, and if he sees somthing not right call the owner of the RV insted of you finding your RV open for a week for somebody else to take a free tour of your rv.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:50 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
They say they do a daily drive-through, yet I am the one that informed them of the break-ins. I did expect the call, but as I said customer care seems to be forgotten these days.
Bingo
Old 08-25-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Bingo sorry for your loss, as the old saying it could have been worse. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are so fortunate to be able to keep our 3400 at home where we can see it. The back up plan would be to keep it at our Daughter and SIL's place as they have 35 acres but it would be 30 miles south of here. It there no way you can keep at at the house????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Rich,
We can park it at the house on the street for short times, but not for storage purposes. We are trying to come up with a plan to buy a couple of acres where we can have a garden, a picnic area and possibly build a large garage for the rig, boat and dually. The mini-storage has served us fine for the price that we have paid over the years, but additional land can never hurt. We are a couple of miles from the mini-storage and I have been checking on the rig each day now. Besides, fresh veggies can only help as well!! The other benefit is I get to go to Harbor Freight to get another compresser. They are on sale again and I have a 20% off coupon as well.
Bingo

Old 08-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Don't forget to post the information on the dealer in the thread on this forum for Dealer Ratings. Others may benefit.
Thanks, and good luck.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Bingo remember the old saying they dont make no more land. Good to get extra.I am thinkful to be able to look out the window and see the monty in my back yard. And hey I love harbor frieght.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #12
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We're lucky that we can keep our rig in the barn in the back yard.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote