Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
wolfeman82
Established Member

M.O.C. #12185
Memory foam pad help

We just bought a memory foam mattress pad and found that it hangs over the rounded corners of the king size mattress. I was just wondering if its worth cutting to fit or not. As much as they get for those things I would hate to mess it up and have to buy a new one. Thanks in advance for you advice.

wolfeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Well if your gonna use it, you got to chop it We've chopped 2 of them. They cut pretty easy. Lay it flat where you want it and lay on the floor, mark it where the mattress is and then chop chop.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We marked our memory foam and then cut it with an electric knife. Works like a charm. Nice sharp straigh edge. No second thoughts on cutting it. Once you sleep on it who is going to take it back anyway.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
X2 the electric knife, very easy.
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
bhoss1
Established Member

M.O.C. #9070
How thick was the pads that you guys put on? Where did you purchase them.? Quality??
Thanks
Don
bhoss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We recently bought a king-size foam memory pad that cost about $129. Not long after, we went from a king to a queen mattress (I know, bad planning, but when we bought it we didn't know we'd be downsizing the bed). I trimmed the king-size pad to fit the new queen-size mattress using my favorite knife. I would have used my electric knife to do the job, but we recently moved from our home into our RV when we went fulltime, and I'm still looking for things that disappeared during the move!

My knife is nothing special--just a Chicago Cutlery chopping knife. The memory pad cut cleanly and easily; I didn't have to "saw" at it to make the cut. We saved the pieces to use in padding things when we move from spot to spot.

Don't be afraid to trim your pad. It's not hard to do at all.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We have had a few pads in previous rv's and at the stick built. The one we bought last year at Costco is the best. $129.00 queen size. It has memory foam and gel. The gel keeps it cooler and it is the most comfortable. We would even consider the actual memory foam/gel mattress if the pad needed replaced in the future.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
wolfeman82
Established Member

M.O.C. #12185
We purchased ours at Costco as well. We had the same one on our queen in the old SOB. We shopped around and couldn't beat the price or comfort. Also paid about $120.
wolfeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:28 AM   #9
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I didn't say in my earlier post that ours is the memory foam gel-type, also from Costco. By the way, several people posted reviews on the Costco site saying that particular item had an odor and that the little blue "beads" made a mess everywhere. Our experience proved that to be wrong. Our pad had no odor, and the blue beads didn't make a mess. We did see some of them as I cut the pad, but goodness--one minute with the vacuum cleaner took care of that, and since then we've seen not one blue bead (except the pad itself).

Take our a knife and go for it!

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:07 AM   #10
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Blue beads in memory foam???? I never seen that... But we got our memory foam from Kohl's. Just watch for them to go on sale and then use a 30% off coupon and you can get them fairly cheap. That is if you have a Kohls in your area. We got a 3 inch one and have had it for the past 4 years. We have a house type queen mattresses so it fits fine, but you got to get sheets with deeeeeeep pockets. If you're short you may have to get a step stool to get up in bed lol lol....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote