Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
Keeping the summer heat out. with Mylarized ployfi

We're full timing in a spot where the summer sun hits that big back window every evening full on.

It glared on the TV and cooked us all at once.

Of course the first things we did was put reflective film. That definitely helped and I am making my way around the trailer adding this to all windows.

In looking for further help we were thinking, thick curtains. So we visited our nearby Wal-Mart fabric department looking at quilted fabric meant to be quilts.

We found Mylarized Polyfil. It's white fleece with a thin coat of Mylar on the outside. The Mylar is pretty much invisible unless you look close. It's less than 1/8 inch thick.

Cut to size, add a few Velcro dots and it's done. Since it's felt it doesn't need hemming.

Folds away when not in use.

It really makes a difference. And it would also help in the winter. The wife is so impressed she is making one for the slide out window that faces the same direction right next to her chair.

Just thought I'd share.

We're thinking of buying an old fashion role up widow shade and replacing the fabric in the shade with the Mylarized Polyfil.

cbgaloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We just purchased a few yards of material we think they call Sun Blocker at Joann Fabric.

Used for room darking shades

attached to sky lite with Velco works well and was not pricy
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Carl32092
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11321
Here is the shade material I put on all my windows. Helps a lot. I also have the window film.

http://www.ezsnapdirect.com/
Carl32092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Saw this on a rear window, held in place by magnets and, except at night, you can see out, but nobody can see in.

www.magnashade.com
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Saw this on a rear window, held in place by magnets and, except at night, you can see out, but nobody can see in.

www.magnashade.com
My neighbor in the site next to us has on the windshield of his motor Home real nice
Old 07-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
Those sound like some good ideas.

I had wanted a way to put the shade or whatever on the outside. Seems best to keep the heat out by stopping it before it gets in.

The Mylar on the fabric we are using should be reflecting a good bit back out.
cbgaloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:46 AM   #7
Rubber Tramps
Established Member

M.O.C. #9416
We did not care for the standard day/night shades when we bought our rig, so decided to replace them right away. We went to Wally World and found heat & light blocking curtains (light weight, variety of patterns & colors) and purchased enough to do the living and bedroom for around $75. We removed the header valances which neither of us liked, and simply installed regular curtain rods and hung the drapes. The effect is very homey and, most importantly, the temp difference is amazing. When you place your hand behind the curtains it is easily a 15 degree difference. You do lose the view when closed, but on more temperate days we just open the curtains.
Rubber Tramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:09 AM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Magna Shade very $$$$$$$$$

$300.00 for windshield of Motor Home
Old 07-07-2012, 05:33 AM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We used the EZSnap snaps, but bought sunscreen elsewhere to attach outside the rig. Stopping the heat before it comes through the glass is the most effective way to control it. It is easy to unsnap the screens for travel or when the outside temperature moderates with the season.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #10
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
This is what we use, works great.

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/ca...&categoryid=31

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote