Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
For those with "Level-Up"

Because we are not supposed to, lets just say that hypothetically you wanted to raise one side of your trailer to get the wheels off the ground, how would you go about doing it? (Don't worry, I am not going to crawl under it and work or anything) I was just thinking that it might be a good thing to know how just in case you needed to do it and did not want to damage the Level Up system or trailer. I am assuming you would just use auto level first to get all of the legs down and then go to the manual mode and raise one side or the other. Is that correct? Anything to worry about with overstressing the frame or hydraulics? -Glenn

Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
You have the idea. Get the RV level using the automatic function, then shift to manual mode. You are only allowed manually to lift one side a limited amount to prevent any chance of tipping. So you have to alternate lifting one side and then the other until you have the desired wheels off the ground. It is pretty easy once you understand the built-in safety restrictions. And you won't hurt the frame this way.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Thanks Carl, it would most definitely be a "controlled and slow evolution" with everyone and everything clear of the trailer. That is a lot of weight to be messing with. Just one of those things I feel I need to know how to do.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Glen I just did that to replace my four tires. I went to the manual mode and raised on side. Once the computer hit the error (for discussion( 2 degrees out of level) it stopped at that point i raise the other side until level or past level and the raised the desired side to get wheels off the ground. I think I had to tweak the non wheel side twice. When lowering you want to do the same process so you don't stress something too far.
I hope this helps and safe travels.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Same as John. That's how I did our tires. Pulled all four. The trailer is capable of doing it itself, no reason it can't be done manually.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I have used the level up to change tires, and when repacking bearings. I however start in manual mode and lower all jacks to ground, I then raise the side I am working on somewhat and then the other side, just to keep the one side from being much greater than the side I am not working on. If I am removing wheels I put blocking under the frame front and aft of the axles, just in case.

Level up is great for more than just leveling.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #7
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Thanks guys!
Learned something new to check today before I hit the road (first time out this season). Make sure you don't have too much water in the toilet. When I pressurized the system to fill up the hot water heater after the winter drain, the toilet flushing valve must have been open a little. I did all of the un-winterizing things a couple of weeks ago getting ready for the season. The water sloshed out on the floor in and outside the bathroom on the way to the campground. 4 campers and lots of miles over the years and never had that happen before. At least it was clean water. Something new on the checklist I guess.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You can also, in manual mode, instead of one side at a time, just extend all the rear jacks, that is the centers and rears, using the 'rear' button. You will not put any stress on the frame this way. Even if the unit isn't dead on level, you will not torque the frame, as the front jacks are plumbed together and will compensate for any uneven condition, just like when it is auto leveling, the rear jacks are what levels the rig side to side. I discovered a while back that these hydraulic rams are rated 8,000 lbs each, so I have had no problem jacking the rig totally off the ground, as when I serviced the brakes and bearings.
rohrmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #9
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Learned something new! Got to love the MOC!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:16 AM   #10
lunalonestar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11717
Often times, I have used the manual mode to tip on side or the other to assist in draining the tanks at dump stations.
lunalonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #11
Golferdave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12573
Send a message via MSN to Golferdave
Hi Guys:

I know the system H John Kohl suggested works well as he and another MOCer inspected my brakes at the Jackson CA Spring rally 2013. They also put a safety support jack under the axel. Worked like a charm.
Thank you again John.
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
I just learned something new.
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #13
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
When we had a tire change in Louisiana, we stayed hooked up to the truck as a safety precaution. . Then he used manual mode.

In fact when new tires came to visit at the campground, Bob hooked up the trailer during those changes.

. First saw it done that way at a rally in Goshen.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote