Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2012, 05:23 AM   #1
oldgeezor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12003
How much water to carry?

As a newbie and planning a trip to western canada in June, we will be on the road for at least 4 days before getting to a spot where we can hookup. I was wondering how much water should I carry for the 4 days? We will overniting in rest stops, etc.

Thanks

Ps. I did a search and a lot of people travel with 1/3 tank, however, I am not sure wether that will last 4 days.

oldgeezor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:35 AM   #2
radio flyer
Established Member

M.O.C. #8409
Fill your fresh water tank for four days & nights.
radio flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
If you are going to be showering and all in your camper for 4 days without stopping to refill, yes fill it up.

Your sig picture really makes the rear of your truck look like it sags.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:50 AM   #4
oldgeezor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12003
Thanks folks...Tom..you're right it is a bad picture... this truck is a heavy duty diesel and carry's the monty exceptionally well! I will look at putting up a better picture..
Old 05-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #5
TerryClaudia
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12055
Better to be safe than sorry, we would fill it up. Some places you camp have bad water. By the way if you belong to AAA they have new Woodall camping books for Canada and a lot of the U.S. We are going to Eastern Canada in June and just got the new books they have great information. Have a GREAT trip!
Claudia & Terry
TerryClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #6
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Based on your comment about not "hooking up" for 4 days I assume you are travelling west through N. Ontario and Manitoba. When we travel and plan to not "hook up" I don't travel with a full water tank, but I stop at service stations and fast food places, etc and ask if I can use their water tap to fill some water. I also carry a 5 gallon container to fill water in case I can't access the water tap with my water hose.
From your picture it appears that you are exceeding the trucks GVWR. If you plan to go in to Britsh Columbia they have laws that you cannot exceed the trucks GVWR. Check it out with some of the BC members and they can give you the details. Also, check the website Sanidumps.com, as they have listings of dump stations in Canada and the USA and you may also be able to get water at those sites.

Have a great trip.

dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
oldgeezor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12003
Dave...The GVWR for this truck is 9600lbs or roughly 4354KG...so I don't think I am exceeding any spec's...the previous picture I had up definitely looked like it was overloaded but I can tell you when I drop the Monty onto the truck it hardly moves..I also recently had the rig weighed with the truck and it cam in at 19,800 lbs..I will probably add another 2500 lbs, so would come in at around 22,000lbs loaded..One great thing about this truck is the diesel brakes, whcih really help to slow things down..
Old 05-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We're getting off topic talking about the sig picture, but maybe discussing the weights should be done somewhere else. The only way to know what weights are is to weigh all points of the rig. The pin weight will affect the truck's GVWR. My truck had a GVWR of 10,000 lbs (higher than your truck) but the pin weight caused the weight of the truck to be 10,500 lbs (exceeding the weight rating).

There is more to weights than a big diesel engine and the brakes that go along with it. There is suspension components, frame and many other things you aren't thinking of. When a manufacturer determines the weight rating, they take all these factors into consideration. My truck was well within most other ratings CGVWR, GTWR, & FAWR. but the RAWR was over and this caused the GVWR to be over. and I don't tow with full tanks.

You are now planning to fill the fresh water tank (I have a 46 gallon tank which would add about 385 lbs). As you use the water, it then gets moved to the gray water tank and you would only add a few lbs from dirt and soap. You might consider stopping at a dump station along the way to empty the gray. I'm guessing that if where you rest, there are restrooms, you won't be filling your black tank.

BTW - in your picture it does look like a "fisheye" angle and therefore whether there is a sag or not, that doesn't matter unless you are overweight. I have air bags that raise my truck's rear axle and had them when I was overweight and even now with the new rear suspension, not being overweight makes eveything right.

Get to the scales and weigh your rig at all axles to know how your weight is doing.

Another option for overnighting is Truck stops but I don't know their availability in Canada (but I do know there are plenty of trucks driving around). They offer showers and may eliminate your need for carrying a lot of water and effluent if weight or wear and tear is a concern. Keep in mind carrying all this water means you may be reducing your mpgs, and working things a little harder. While the trailer and truck will probably handle it, I'd only do it if there were no other options.

I carry about 10-15 gallons and this is used for infrequent bio stops but I have never driven my rig more than two days straight. After your trip I hope you report back what you did. It's nice to hear a newbie's experience and what was done about it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

As you use the water, it then gets moved to the gray water tank and you would only add a few lbs from dirt and soap.
Just a rambling thought from a rambling mind, since the weight of the soap would already be in the rig, traveling in Canada must be a really dirty way to go if it adds a few lbs to the gray water tank?? Sorry Art, you already know that I cannot resist a good opening!

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Greg, haved a great and safe trip.
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bingo,
Ramble on! But you've got to work on your 'length of rambling'. This attempt was OK but you need more practice..... Later, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Greg and Marilyn,
When we know we are going to be without water hookup for awhile we will fill up the water tank. Don't want to run out. Have never had an issue with tank or weight. Now that was with my old rig which had the water tank centrally located. I believe the tank in our new rig may be in the rear of the coach. Don't know if that will make a difference or not. Heck I may be traveling with a full tank already. This new rig has some sort of feature that allows one to fill up the tank by simply being hooked up to a water source. I don't know if that is automatic or if I have to do something. Perhaps someone can enlighten me about that issue. Good luck whatever you end up doing. Dennis
Old 05-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Dennis,
both of our rigs had a switch in the convenience center to allow for filling the on-board tank from the fresh water feed to the rig.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #14
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I prefer to travel as light as possible. Unless you’re boon-docking and have to carry the water, water can usually be obtained at a destination point. I do however like to have enough water for flushing the toilet and for pit stops when needed.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #15
oldgeezor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12003
Thank-you for all the comments...I will be travelling thorugh the states for at least 2 1/2 days, so should be able to get to some rest stops along the way. I will only fill the water tank with a minimul amout of water..
Old 05-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #16
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
The answer to how much water to carry is a direct correlation to how much you use. If you use a lot, fill the tank. Re weight, it is a 3/4 ton truck, with those weight specifications dictated by Chrysler.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #17
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Dennis,
both of our rigs had a switch in the convenience center to allow for filling the on-board tank from the fresh water feed to the rig.
Bingo
Bingo,
Thanks. I'll take a look. I'm sure they told us about that in our "walk through". But I've forgotten almost everything they told us. Appreciate your info. Dennis
Old 05-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #18
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I always run full with my old unit and new Montana. I prefer to know I have good water and fill up often and refresh supply often!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #19
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Running with a full tank will also make your trailer ride smoother with less bounce.. I don't like to stink so I fill it and take along some soap too...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #20
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
I'm with the "fill er up" crowd. I never know when a two day trip is going to turn into a week long or more.

The full tank vs a 1/2 tank is only about 250 lbs which is peanuts compared to a 15,000 pound rig. Unless of course your weights are already a problem...

I like full fuel and water tanks so that I can spend as much time driving or relaxing vs looking for a place to fill up. Then again I usually dry camp.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote