Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
billc1949
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12196
X-Chock Tire Lock

I have purchased X-Chock tire locks to try and prevent some bouncing. When I get to a camp site do I place them on the wheels before I unhitch and let out the sides etc and the same when we get ready to leave, do I remove them first then hitch up. Any comments would be appreciated.

billc1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
tyler_bustos
Established Member

M.O.C. #11981
We just bought them too. The instructions state that you shouldn't leave them on when you are hitching/unhitching and also when you are leveling the 5th wheel as it may damage the x-chocks. The wheels need to be free to move when doing these things. I still use regular chocks with the x-chock for this reason. I've only used them once so far and love them.
tyler_bustos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
That is the dumbest instructions I have heard of, the whole idea is to keep the unit from moving when hitching/unhitching. They should be the first thing on and the last thing off.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Absolutely agree!!
Otherwise, all they are is extra chocks.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by William H. Collier

That is the dumbest instructions I have heard of, the whole idea is to keep the unit from moving when hitching/unhitching. They should be the first thing on and the last thing off.
Bill
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I agree with Bill, but with an exception. If you have the Level-Up System more than likely once you're leveled they will be loose and can be removed. DO NOT try and retighten them, because if you do, once you the raise the jacks to hook back up and the weight of the Monty sit back down on the tires those buggers will be extremely hard to remove, don't ask me how I know.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
tyler_bustos
Established Member

M.O.C. #11981
Well if you look at it like a physics problem it may make more sense. If you are leveling up the unit and you have the x-chocks on. The opposing edges of the tires are going to rotate against each other which will put a bind on the x-chock. I didn't write the instructions I just follow them.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Always put them on before I unhitch and don't take them off until after I'm hitched up.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
You only need x, chocks if you don't have automatic levelers. Manually leveling requires you to raise one side with boards or stacker blocks and the weight of the trailer is still on the wheels. After you back on your boards and are satisfied with the side to side level you should insert and tighten the x chocks. Then complete your unhooking and leveling front to back.
With automatic levelers you only need to guard against the trailer sliding on the Jack pads if your site is really sloped. This can be accomplished using regular wheel chocks placed behind the two wheels on each side on the downslope side.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ty,
I don't think I agree with your physics logic. Once the rig is in the site (and as Keith stated leveled side to side), I apply the chocks between the wheels to prevent any movement of the rig. Then I raise the front to unhitch. Then I level the rig and drop the rear stabilizers. The leveling of the rig affects the suspension system of the rig, it does not apply any rotation force to the tires. The posters above are correct, first thing on and last thing off. Being from the hills, we are sometimes not fortunate enough to have sites that are level from front to back and you do not want to unhitch from your truck with just the front jacks holding the rig. Chocks are mandatory unless as previously mentioned you have the level up system. The instructions that come with the chocks are presented solely to prevent any legal liability if the chocks do not hold, which has been reported on the forum to happen occasionally. I don't have the X-choks, I have the regular Bal-Choks that come with the 3/4" blue wrench and believe me when I put them on, that wrench is used to make sure they are tight and there is no chance of the rig moving. To each his own, but I can assure you, I will always chock first and remove last!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
tyler_bustos
Established Member

M.O.C. #11981
Bingo, as my post stated I use standard chocks when hitching and unhitching my rig (would never do it without chocks). I do not generally camp on even slabs so I have to level my rig more than others. When I park it on a slope and lift it off the hitch it does want to roll back (even slightly). This force will in effect put a torque on any chock that is placed between the tires. The inner edge of the back tire will want to go up and the back of the front tire will want to go down. I don't claim to know more than many of you who have been doing this for much longer but, I will try to follow the manufacturers instructions when possible so as not to ruin my equipment. On a side note, my main reason for buying the x-chocks was to help decrease the sway in my Montana, not to act as a stop when I hook and unhook my rig. I don't mind using the extra chocks as it gives me peace of mind when I'm backed up to a lake.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
These things are intended to prevent the trailer from rocking while parked, not to be a brake to prevent movement while hitching/unhitching. Of course there is no chock police to prevent one from using them in that manner. LOL
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I understand your logic Ty, and I do agree with what you are saying with regards to the torque applied when unhitching. That is the reason that I tighten them down as far as I can. I have also heard that just doing this can cause undue strain on the suspension system, but that is a personal choice that I make and over the last few years, I have never seen any adverse effects on the suspension system or the tires themselves. The most important thing that can be taken from this is to make darn sure that the rig cannot move when unhitched. Once 6 or 7 tons starts to roll, it is kinda hard to get it stopped!! To the original poster, I think based on the myriad of advice here (which shows the diversity of opinions on the subject) that you will have to weigh all of the factors, make your personal decision as to how you want to weigh the advice, and know that at least you have made an educational, hopefully well thought-out decision that only you have to be comfortable with. I will now add a disclaimer that what I presented is based on my decision, is not warranted nor guaranteed and is definitely not to be taken as advice, but rather as my opinion. And as always, no animals were hurt during the course of this decision making process!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Agree with Bingo 100%. On my previous fifth I did not have automatic levelers and used the BAL chocks between the tandems as I and a lot of other posters have described. I used them a lot and they are still in great shape.
Anyone want to buy 2?
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:58 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Never unhitch without blocking the wheels in some manner, whether it be with your x-locks, my roto-choks or with just plain blocks in front and back of the wheels. You don't want that 5er to move once you unhitch from the truck. Don't ask me how I know.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #15
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Using x-chocks in-place during hitching/unhitching is pretty much an individual preference. In fact, using the x-chocks at all is an individual preference. I have used them for several years and discovered some good things and bad about them.

GOOD: They do a good job keeping the wheels from turning when they are properly set up. They are easy to install and remove.

BAD: Tires cool when parked and the x-chocks loosen and become ineffective (until re tightened). If you forget to remove the chocks and pull out, you will (1) damage the chock, (2) actually push an axle out of alignment, (3) cause at least one of the tires to wear out long before the others.

I just replaced my LR tire (yesterday) and this Friday I have to take the Monty in for an axle alignment and check on the Mor-Ryde rubber springs. The tire is out of my wallet ($148) and I don't think Good Sam is going to do me much good with the alignment.

So, x-chocks do what they are designed to do. But, us weak-brained old retired guys sometimes do not do what we should. Please use with caution.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #16
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tyler_bustos

We just bought them too. The instructions state that you shouldn't leave them on when you are hitching/unhitching and also when you are leveling the 5th wheel as it may damage the x-chocks.
Get a pair of Roto-Choks instead and you won't have to worry about your Monty moving around or damaging your chocks.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #17
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have X-Chocks, actually I have the older style where each side of the X used this )X( configuration. Newer style X-chocks split the )( in order to fit between tandem wheels with little distance. I find it's best to add the triangular chocks especially when inclines are involved.

I have had the same educational opportunity as ols1932. Hitching and unhitching on any type of incline is NOT fun if you don't have a means of keeping that rig still right before unhitching and up until rehitching. X-chocks are as good by themselves.

I also found that these chocks should be checked periodically! The tire pressure changes with the temperature and altitude and the chocks MUST be retightened. This happened to us near Yosemite and we were on an angled site. The chocks loosened and DW kept asking me why she felt like the rig was moving. I went outside and the higher altitude the cooling tires and lower temperatures were loosening the chocks pretty bad! Yup, I now added use of the triangular chocks, TOO.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #18
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

When I purchased the X-chocks last year there was a disclaimer in the box stating that they were not for chocking the wheels but was intended to help make the trailer stable while parked. That was quite a disappointment once I got them home and then discovered their claim. I probably should have returned them.

On another note; IMHO, one should always have the wheels chocked before un-hooking the Tow Vehicle and they should remain chocked until the tow vehicle is hooked up.