Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
David T. MacNeill
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19930
Montana roof repair

I have an older Montana (2001) that's been well cared for and has been stored in shade for much of its life but I want to be ready for the inevitable roof crack down the road. What's everyone using for touch up on these roofs?

David T. MacNeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:45 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I helped a buddy roll a rubber paint/sealant on his unit. Brand was Kool seal, at $110 a gallon plus we had to prime with kool seal primer, don't remember the price. That product recommended by his dealer, purchased on line. Multiple brands out there. 17 years is a good run for a membrane roof.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
David T. MacNeill
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19930
I bought two tubes of Dicor and plan to ladder-up and fill any little cracks before they become big. Water won't have a chance!
David T. MacNeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
There's several roll on or spray on alternatives to an EDPM one. Several have posted about them. Search the archives.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
gkonney
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19870
Newbie here,
While preparing to put things up over the Holidays I noticed that our Roof has a few lines of "shudder tears" along the roof where we must have snagged branches unknowingly. What would be the best product to use to smooth those over after I climb up and clean them properly? We have been SO careful but these roofs must be pretty delicate!
You can follow us at: https://campingkonneys.wordpress.com/
gkonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:52 AM   #6
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
The branches are stronger than we think.
I just patched five little tears with eternabond tape cut to size. It will last the life of the roof.
My friend says to put some dicor around the edges of the patches so they don't have that grey edge but I can't see them from the ground.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:54 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I carry a rool of Eternabond tape and two tubes of Dicore for needed repairs. We're on our second Montana and haven't had to use them yet, but it's good to be prepared.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:54 AM   #8
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkonney View Post
Newbie here,
While preparing to put things up over the Holidays I noticed that our Roof has a few lines of "shudder tears" along the roof where we must have snagged branches unknowingly. What would be the best product to use to smooth those over after I climb up and clean them properly? We have been SO careful but these roofs must be pretty delicate!
Clean really well. Isoprophil alcohol works well and cover with Eternabond tape. it comes in different widths. 4 or 6 inch should work well for your application.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I seem to have a knack for finding low hanging branches and their evil cousins, you know, the ones who lean out into the RV as you pass. Eternabond is your friend. Buy a roll, some Isoprophil Alcohol, and a wall paper roller (you need it to apply enough pressure to activate the adhesive) and carry them with you.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #10
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
I think we all have Eternabond tape and a roller in are tool box it should come as stranded equipment when you buy a fiver it is you best friend that and Dicore! been lucky so far and haven't had to use it with this fiver yet that is.

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW crew cab 4x4 LB 6.7L
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #11
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
This is something I came across a couple of years ago.

By Mark Polk
RV Education 101
About 20 years ago, RV manufacturers began using rubber roofing membrane on RV roofs as opposed to other roof coverings such as aluminum. Among the reasons for the industry's shift to rubber roofing: It was lightweight, seamless, easy to install, easy to maintain, cost-effective, and ozone- and UV-resistant.
The rubber membrane itself will last 20 years or longer, but certain preventive and scheduled maintenance procedures must be followed to maximize the life of a rubber RV roof.
Here are my top 7 steps for a healthy rubber roof.
Step 1:*Safety first. You have to get on the roof of the motorhome to clean it properly and inspect it for damage or potential water leaks. Be careful whenever you are working on your RV roof. You can be seriously injured or killed from a fall.
Some RV roofs are more structurally sound than others. Regardless of the roof’s structural integrity, walk on it lightly, and be careful. When cleaning an RV roof, some wet surfaces are extremely slippery. If you aren’t comfortable working on the roof, have the required maintenance and repairs performed by a reputable RV service.
Step 2:*The next step is to become familiar with the rubber roofing used in the RV industry. Keep in mind there are other types of roofing materials used, such as vinyl and fiberglass, but this article pertains to rubber roofing. For the most part there are two types of rubber roofing used in the RV industry: ethylene propylene diene monomer (EPDM) and thermal poly olefin (TPO).
Often, I get asked how you can distinguish between the two. The best way is to see what your RV owner’s manual says. Normally it will specify the type of rubber membrane used and provide cleaning and maintenance instructions and intervals as well. If you don’t have an owner’s manual or if the manual doesn’t specify the type of roofing used, there are a couple of ways to distinguish between the two.
To help protect against ozone and UV rays, EPDM roofing membrane is designed to oxidize or shed over time. This is not a concern, though, because it probably will shed less than 10 percent of its overall thickness in a 10- to 12-year time period. As a result of the shedding, the tell-tale signs of EPDM rubber are the gray or white streaks that you see on the sides of the RV.
TPO roofing does not oxidize or shed, so there are no gray or white streaks. Another way to distinguish between the two is to see how slippery the rubber surface is when it is wet. EPDM roofing is extremely slippery when it is wet, whereas TPO is not. But regardless of how slippery the surface is, always exercise caution when working on your RV roof!
Step 3:*Inspect your rubber roof. I mentioned earlier that the roofing membrane will last 20 years or longer, but that doesn’t mean the sealants and seams will. Any seam on the roof, and any opening cut in the roof, has the potential for a water leak.
When an RV flexes and moves as it travels down the road, it is common for the seams and sealants to move, too. This, along with age, causes sealants to separate and allows a path for water to get through the seams and sealants.
It’s important that you thoroughly inspect the roof seams and sealants on a regular basis. In most cases your warranty is void if these routine inspection intervals are not followed.
Rubber roofing is also prone to tears from things like tree branches, so it’s important to inspect the entire roof, not just the seams and sealants. Your owner’s manual should specify inspection intervals.
Step 4:*Use the proper materials to make roof repairs. If you discover a problem during your routine roof inspections it’s important the repairs are properly completed. This includes using the proper sealants and materials for rubber roofing.
I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have seen the wrong types of sealants used on rubber roof surfaces. For example, silicone will not properly adhere to a rubber roof. After it is applied and cures it will peel easily from the rubber surface. Lots of folks make a repair using silicone products and are left with a false sense of security that all is well. This kind of thinking results in expensive-to-repair water damage down the road.
When I work on rubber roofs, depending on the nature of the repair, I use butyl tape and/or Dicor 501 LSW lap sealant. This sealant is compatible with all RV roof surfaces and it is self-leveling and flexible. For a tear in the roof I use a product called EternaBond or a Dicor rubber roof repair kit.
Step 5:*Clean your rubber roof. A clean rubber roof is a healthy rubber roof. This is another topic I get asked about a lot. What type of product should I use to clean my rubber roof? How often should I clean my roof? Rubber roofs should be cleaned several times a year and, depending on where you park or store your motorhome, it may need to be cleaned more often.
Most rubber roof manufacturers recommend using a medium bristle brush and a non-abrasive cleaner. For light cleaning, use warm water and a mild detergent like Dawn dishwashing liquid. For more difficult cleaning, there are commercial cleaning products designed specifically for rubber roofing.
Hard-to-clean areas like stubborn stains caused by leaves, sap, mold or mildew may require a second treatment. Use caution to prevent the cleaners from getting on the sides of the RV. Always rinse the sides, front and back of your RV before and after rinsing the roof to prevent cleaners from streaking or damaging the finish on your RV sidewalls.
Regardless of the type of rubber roof you have, NEVER use any cleaners or conditioners that contain petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives or citrus ingredients. These types of cleaners can cause permanent damage to rubber and vinyl surfaces. The first indication of rubber roofing coming in contact with petroleum products is a bubble forming. The thickness of the rubber is compromised and chances are it will never adhere to the roof decking again.
Step 6:*Avoid some aftermarket RV rubber roof products. Numerous aftermarket products claim to protect, clean and condition your rubber roof. For the sake of liability, I will not mention any product names, but I will advise you to select products carefully.
Rubber roofs already have built-in ozone and UV protectors, and cleaning a rubber roof is quite simple. You can use household cleaners like Comet and Spic And Span or Dawn dishwashing liquid for most routine cleaning needs. If a stronger cleaner is required for tough stains, make sure to read the ingredients label carefully before purchasing and using the product. Some cleaners work great, others don’t. Remember, do not use cleaners or conditioners that contain petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives or citrus ingredients.
*Step 7:*Keep it simple. You can maximize the life of your rubber roof by following these few simple steps: Exercise safety, know the type of roof you have, inspect it, repair it and clean it according to the specified intervals. And, avoid using unnecessary products for your rubber roof.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #12
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Excellent Article
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:21 PM   #13
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Very good Article! most people don't ever clean or go on the roof till theirs a problem with
it.

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW crew cab 4x4 LB 6.7L
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
a roll Eternabond tape is standard equipment for any RV. We do inspect our roof as it is out in the hot sun all year. We had to do some caulking around the shower skylight this season as it was drying out. We also have it washed, along with the Rv twice a year.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote