Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2012, 04:42 AM   #1
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
6 point leveling system

Just got home from Manteca, CA where I had the Lippert six point auto leveling system installed. It took them a day and a half which I thought was not bad.

Got home and disconected and auto leveled. What a deal. Now all I have to do is learn how to really use it.

Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Congrats on the new system Captain Kidd, We have it on our new trailer too and really like it. Don't want to worry you or cause a stir, but something happened Monday that has me a little worried. We have had our trailer for 7 weeks and used it 3 times. We got home Monday from our 3rd trip with the trailer and everything was fine. Realized later Monday that I forgot something in the trailer and went out there to retrieve it. Well, to my surprise the slides would not operate (or Level Up or landing gear work either) and it was not a fuse or AC/DC power problem. I did some trouble shooting using the Lippert documents available on their website and found out my hydraulic pump motor is already "toast" (based on some discoloration it looks like it may have overheated and we were just using it normally and there was plenty of fluid in the tank). With this trailer being so new it has me wondering something. Is the Level-Up system and 4 slides too much for the "normal" hyrdraulic system to handle? I know there are some smart engineers that design and work on these systems, but it does seem like quite a load for that small pump motor when you first get to a campground and begin set-up. I am taking the trailer in today and will get a new pump motor, but just wondering...
Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don and Gail,
Congrats! You will love it. Of course, as you indicated, you have to learn how to use it. We only got our Bachelor degree when we were in college so it has taken us several trips to learn how to use it. One should really have a Doctorate degree! See you soon. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Hi Dennis, I just checked the weather for Canyonville and it is supposed to be 53 on Monday, can't wait we will be there Tuesday afternoon. Have to make a stop in Anderson at the new Campingworld store.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
We're stopping there too Don,I hope they can handle all these trailers coming in! LOL!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Capt Kidd

... I just checked the weather for Canyonville and it is supposed to be 53 on Monday...
It was 86 yesterday and will be around 85 today. Rain moves in tomorrow and, depending of the weather forecast source (NOAA, TWC, etc.), Monday will be around 63 degrees. It will be nice to cool down a little as 85 is too warm for here.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Doesn't the Level Up come with its own motor and therefore is its own isolated system from the landing gear and slideouts? Since the 6 point has to support the weight of the trailer it should be using a much larger motor than what's used for the landing gear or slideout motors. I thought and looking at the wiring that the landing gear and the slideouts do not share motors or hydraulics.

Glenn the fifth, you mention the slides, landing legs and the Level Up no longer worked because a pump is "toast". What are you saying failed? Maybe the pump failed and then cause the other motors not to work because it sounds like a breaker shut things down but should not have affected other systems. It also sounds like the battery is now completely dead since it's the common component used by all systems. Try plugging into shore power and use the converter or plug in the TV and use the truck batteries to test the other motors this way. I'm kinda baffled why all systems don't work when one motor failed. Something else might be failing, too.

Please post what you find. It will help us all learn some things.

As for Capt Kidd, congratulations on the new addition. May your experiences be educational and trouble free!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Art,

The Lippert systems use just one pump for the slides and jackets. I believe it is a larger tank and pump than just a slide system, but one at any rate. The BigFoot system only has four jacks, and each one has it own tank and pump.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #9
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Art, on mine just the pump motor failed (pump worked fine using my Dewalt driver and manual operations). Happy to be picking up the trailer this morning from the service center. On my trailer there is only one system (larger tank, but just one motor and one pump) for slides, landing gear and Level-Up. I guess all I can do is hope that the pump I had was the one made on Friday afternoon . The manual operation works fine but takes a while and not something I want to have to do too often. -Glenn
Old 06-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
busterwms
Established Member

M.O.C. #6931
We had our Lippert Six Point Leverler installed last year at their shop in Goshen (took half a day to install) and used it all last summer. Loved it. It was wonderful to not have to manuver around the site looking for the most level position. The only problem we had was having a low battery once that did not have enuf power to operate the system. After jumping the battery with out truck, we got underway. We bought a new battery right away. No problems since (please knock on wood if you read this). One question, Glenn, how did you rig up a way to use your Dewalt? Getting a drill in there to align it with the pump was nearly impossible in our 2950. And how did you find a straight hex key/wrench/thingy to use in your drill? Seems like to me that if Lippert wants you to use one as an emergency option they would include it their package.
busterwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
For the manual on the pump get an extended phillips head screwdriver bit and reverse it. On the battery situation, I carry one of those jump start batteries in my truck and have used it both to jump the battery in the rig and get the slides in and also used the cigarette lighter plug in on it to power an air compressor to pump up a tire on my old TT so I could limp to the tire store.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #12
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Hello Buster, I had to use a smaller right angle adapter on the Dewalt. It allowed for the about 3 inches of useable space above the pump motor. I happened to have two of them and one was about a half inch too big so I shifted to the other which worked fine. I believe I bought the smaller one at Sears -Glenn
Old 06-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Capt:
I am planning on taking the rig up to Manteca to have them put in a LevelUp. Do you feel they did a good job? I know they just got authorized and are the only install shop in CA. They have estimated two days for the installation. Where did you stay overnight?
Thanks,
Steve
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #14
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by busterwms

.....One question, Glenn, how did you rig up a way to use your Dewalt? Getting a drill in there to align it with the pump was nearly impossible in our 2950. And how did you find a straight hex key/wrench/thingy to use in your drill? Seems like to me that if Lippert wants you to use one as an emergency option they would include it their package.
Included in the package of information for our Montana was a ~10" flex cable with a hex head. I assume it was intended for use if the pump motor should crap out. Doesn't every one gets one with their Montana?
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:34 AM   #15
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
I did not get one Carl, but wish I had. The only "nice" thing about using the right angle "adapter" on the driver was that I could take my hand off of the driver and it would stay in place while I checked legs and/or slide movement. -Glenn
Old 06-10-2012, 03:35 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The hydraulic reservoir for the units with the level up system is much larger than the ones without. Intereting on the burn up keep us advised.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #17
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
I was just up at Lippert in Goshen about a problem with my slides and was informed that they (Lippert) were going to start installing two separate systems, one for slides and one for level up. What I didn't ask was that on all units or just ones that had system added after the coach was manufactured.
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:52 AM   #18
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Broken Elbow the dealer, Manteca RV, did a great job very statisfied. They let you stay in your rig on their lot and give you a key to get in and out of the lot after hours. It will take all of two days to install maybe 3. Go for it.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:16 AM   #19
Jim n Vicki
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9161
Don..about how much does it cost installed?
Jim n Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #20
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I just have Level-Up installed at Lippert last month. Took about 6 hours to install and cost $4800. The dealer in Houston, TX quoted me $500 more than Lippert.

As for the Level-Up it is great. Disconnect and pull the truck up and then press the "Auto-Level" button. Less than 60 seconds later you are level and ready to push the slides out. We still feel the trailer move some when parked on gravel/dirt, but if parked on concrete the trailer is solid as a rock.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote